Listening to the radio in your vehicle.....

When riding in your vehicle what are you usually listening to? AM, FM, Satellite, CD, Downloaded music?

What exactly? Music style, talk radio, podcasts ?

When I had Satellite radio is was almost always rock stations. Usually older rock.
Now it is FM radio and classic rock stations.

Since my personal taste of music pretty much ends in the late 1950s and we don't have any "special interest" stations over here, it's mostly my own collection of music, via Bluetooth from my phone.
Typical 1940s big band, western swing, blue grass, 50s rhythm & blues, doo-wop etc. - also some podcasts, to keep me entertained on long trips.

Frank

I listen to a lot of Old Time Radio on XM satellite radio. Not the comedies, though except a little Jack Benny. Johnny Dollar is the best.

If there is nothing good on the old time radio station, I listen to the grunge station or 70s rock or the local adult alternative station.

When riding in your vehicle what are you usually listening to? AM, FM, Satellite, CD, Downloaded music?

What exactly? Music style, talk radio, podcasts ?

When I had Satellite radio is was almost always rock stations. Usually older rock.
Now it is FM radio and classic rock stations.
Stream Apple Music mostly rock, pop, both modern and from the 70s

FM, cycling between various rock stations whenever the one I'm listening to has longer gaps between songs. I might stop cyling on a pop song now and again if it brings back memories, or an oldies station. I like the oldies now and then but some aren't even that old, funny to hear the Rolling Stones on an oldies station.

I have a cigarette lighter outlet powered widget that plays from a mSD card or phone bluetooth, but don't bother to use it except on longer trips outside of the greater Cincinnati radio signal area.

I'll listen to NPR occasionally, like the last mile into work. Otherwise I'm radio-off for 95% of my driving.

For a few years, I'd get bored and scan the channels, but for years now there has been nadda on the radio worth listening to--and endless commercials. I'd rather listen to silence. Plus, with some old worn snow tires, I don't need any more noise hitting the ears, it's loud enough in the car as it is.

I sometimes wonder if I live an over-stimulated life. It's like every moment of the day has to have something electronically pumped into me, be it music or something visual off an LCD--or very often, both. Driving while staring out a window and listening to only what is in my mind, it's my one little joy in life I guess.

Edit: I did finally reach my goal of putting in my shortwave setup and will occasionally listen to CW on 40m, or SSB, or occasionally bump up to 20m in the evening when the band is open. But usually while in the car I'm not in the mood, not sure why but once I got it set up, it was like, the fun was in setting it up. Weird.

I balked at paying for Spotify for a while, since their free version didn’t seem good enough to convince me to pay, but a couple years ago I finally signed up for Premium and I’d never go back now.

I listen to it a bit at work, a fair bit at home, and almost all the time I’m in the car, so the $10 per month is quite low per hour of listening, considering you have access to almost anything you could want. The “Spotify Wrapped” (year-end review) told me I listened to 57,000 minutes last year.

If I’m on a long road trip, I might scan through AM or FM stations, but I rarely listen to terrestrial radio otherwise. It’s almost exclusively Spotify via Bluetooth.

A few different...

Mornings I listen to FM radio 95 KGGO out of Des Moines - Bob and Tom for mindless entertainment on my slug to the office

Afternoons I listen to Rock 108 streaming with my phone - hard rock station out of NE Iowa that I am just out of range to get with the antenna, so must stream. Best rock station I have ever heard. https://rock108.com/

Family in the car would be classic rock 100.3FM or Christian music also on FM.

FM, especially HD is SOOOO much better than the garbage you get on satellite radio - SUCH GARBAGE sold as superior, and just sounds terrible.

If/when I get free (((XM))), I’ll listen to their variety. But mostly I’ll listen to FM talk radio, sports radio, jazz, light or classic rock.

60s.jpg

I use Google Play/Youtube music for about a decade now. I have several playlists consisting of mixes between genres but I do have some genre-specific playlists of rock, R&B/rap/hiphop, dance/electric, and country. Usually it's just on a mix of all my songs put together unless I feel like something specific.

I don't listen to OTA radio anymore and haven't for over 15 years. Corporate radio ruined it for me. The corporate classic rock stations have an extremely limited play list and play the same exact music every day, day after day, at every radio station they own all across the country. They wore me out on many of the songs and artists that I used to like. Furthermore, they don't play some of the other music that I enjoy listening to like R&B, soul, and jazz. Ever try to find an FM station that plays R&B/soul music? They don't exist.
When the MP3 movement started I began downloading all of the songs that I like. I have accumulated over 2100 songs that I have loaded on memory cards/thumbdrives and only play music off of my collection. I just put the stereo on shuffle-play and let 'em rip.

Last edited:
I don't listen to radio anymore and haven't for over 15 years. Corporate radio ruined it for me. The corporate classic rock stations have an extremely limited play list and play the same exact music every day, day after day, at every radio station they own all across the country. They wore me out on many of the songs and artists that I used to like.
When the MP3 movement started I began downloading all of the songs that I like. I have accumulated over 2100 songs that I have loaded on memory cards/thumbdrives and only play music off of my collection. I just put the stereo on shuffle-play and let 'em rip.
This ☝️

I won’t spend another moment listening to songs I don’t want to hear. I stream using Amazon music. I either DL a bunch of songs I like or listen to specific stations if I want to hear that latest popular song or something new. I have an Echo Auto, so everything is hands-free.

”Alexa, play 90s rock and grunge” or whatever.

The neat thing is that my steering wheel controls can still be used to skips songs.

//

If you don’t want to pay and don’t mind commercials, there are plenty of free offerings.

Back