How many speakers do YOU have?

What happens often with door speakers is moisture on the window (especially ones you roll down often) will drop onto the unshielded speaker, and eventually cause damage and deterioration.

This happened in my NB Miata (tiny car, but it had 8" door speakers) and I used a foam baffle to shield the back of the replacement woofers.
I hate manufacturers that put oversized speakers in doors. It is an EXTREMELY cheap solution regardless of who makes the system.
I have JBL in my Sienna and it has 6X9 in doors. Fine. Good sound to sell the new vehicle. The problem is when one likes loud music as I do, things are going to start to rattle eventually. Doors should see a maximum 4" mid-range speaker, and woofers would be elsewhere to limit rattles.
I have DIY woofers in BMW under seats in a place where BMW woofers were. 8" shallow Pionner woofers are much larger than 8" BMW Alpine or H&K that were used. But, still, no rattles regardless that I use 2X300W RMS amplifier on them.
In SIenna on other hand, everything rattles in doors.
Pioneer TS 2002LD.JPG

TS LD in position.JPG

I hate manufacturers that put oversized speakers in doors. It is an EXTREMELY cheap solution regardless of who makes the system.
I can't disagree with this much. Mazda would have been better off putting the woofer in the parcel shelf behind the driver/passenger. My experience in home audio has taught me that any low frequency driver requires a substantial, braced enclosure. Pretty much the exact opposite of a car door.

I have some questions for you about the under seat woofers in the 3 series, but I'll bother you with that outside of this thread.

I can't disagree with this much. Mazda would have been better off putting the woofer in the parcel shelf behind the driver/passenger. My experience in home audio has taught me that any low frequency driver requires a substantial, braced enclosure. Pretty much the exact opposite of a car door.

I have some questions for you about the under seat woofers in the 3 series, but I'll bother you with that outside of this thread.
Shoot me message.

I'm really curious if the Bose car audio stuff has the same heavily DSP'd sound signature as their home audio products. I was messing around with their "high end" computer speakers and couldn't believe how horrible they sound.

The first 5 mins of listening *might* sound decent because of the exaggerated frequencies that pop out and wide sound stage. But then you pay closer attention and realize it's actually really tinny and artificial. No real bass, but rather a boosted (or shifted) hump at ~50hz, absent mids, and no real highs except for maybe a boosted ~15khz region.

In an old truck: at least you get a speaker, take it or leave it.

I'm really curious if the Bose car audio stuff has the same heavily DSP'd sound signature as their home audio products. I was messing around with their "high end" computer speakers and couldn't believe how horrible they sound.

The first 5 mins of listening *might* sound decent because of the exaggerated frequencies that pop out and wide sound stage. But then you pay closer attention and realize it's actually really tinny and artificial. No real bass, but rather a boosted (or shifted) hump at ~50hz, absent mids, and no real highs except for maybe a boosted ~15khz region.
The factory Bose system in my 99 Miata mentioned earlier sounded like hot garbage, for the reasons you listed, and more. It also utilized some funky hardware, such as 0.5 ohm woofers, but 4 ohm tweeters. Bose on these earlier Miata are known to sound terrible. I've actually heard good things about the Bose in late model Mazda's, but do not have any first hand experience.

"No highs and muddy lows, it must be Bose"

The factory Bose system in my 99 Miata mentioned earlier sounded like hot garbage, for the reasons you listed, and more. It also utilized some funky hardware, such as 0.5 ohm woofers, but 4 ohm tweeters. Bose on these earlier Miata are known to sound terrible. I've actually heard good things about the Bose in late model Mazda's, but do not have any first hand experience.

"No highs and muddy lows, it must be Bose"
I had the Bose system in my 2010 3 GT and my 2014 3 GT - nothing bad to say about either system and I thought they sounded pretty dang good. The '14 they ditched the rear shelf woofer and oversized the front door speakers so there was a lot of bass coming at your legs.

Both the VW's in my sig are the base systems. Sportwagen has 10 speakers - 6 in the front doors and 4 in the rear doors. Golf has 8 speakers (4 front, 4 rear). The Golf system sounds better to my ears but it's hard to determine if that is due to the silent nature of the EV powertrain allowing more of the sound to be heard or its just a better base system than the Jetta. Either way both cars satisfy our audio needs without complaint.

The logic7 system in my bmw is really good. The under seat subs are just right. You could never figure out where they are.
My only disappointment is not knowing how to stream multichannel audio to it. I use a stereo bluetooth dongle but it’s only two channel.

My first car was a 74 Charger with a AM radio and one speaker in the middle of the dash. That's progress for you.😁
Sounds like the dash speaker that was in my "72 Maverick Sedan. I put the best 6 x 9 dash sized speaker I could find. Really improved the sound. "Disco Inferno" had triple the bass. Nothing wrong with mono if it sounds good.

After Wednesday the 8th, we will have 7 in the Rav 4. Upgrading the door speakers and adding an under the seat subwoofer.
6 factory speakers in the vehicle now.

I have 6 Bose speakers in my 2003 Benz SLK230 - It has a cassette player and it loud enough with either the tape or radio on. It is completely original.

C43 Burmester Surround System- 13 speakers
X1 Hi Fi- 10 speakers
Clubman- 6 speakers
Wrangler- 4 speakers
Club Sport Premium Sound- 10 speakers

Back