Reatta update: 1 month/1k miles

I'm sure many of you are aware of my latest acquisition: a rust-free 94k mile 1991 Buick Reatta I picked up for a paltry $800. As it had been parked for 3 years, it needed quite a bit of initial attention to make it road worthy.

To date, I've done the following:

Fresh Group 78 FVP Platinum battery
4 new Kumho LX Plat's, upsized from the factory 215/60R16 to the more common 225/60R16
Oil and filter change, used semi-syn 10w30 and a cheapo filter for now
New drive belt
Converted the A/C to R134a
Replaced 90% of the exterior lightbulbs, including the rarer-by-the-day 890 front turn signals
Lubricated the door hinges and window tracks
Reconnected the aftermarket stereo, and installed a small amplifier to power the front door speakers. The sound system had been upgraded previously
Replaced several underhood vacuum lines and one tee, restoring function to both the climate control and the cruise control while simultaneously curing the lean code and rough idle
Replaced the original plugs and wires with NGK TR55's and ACD's, respectively. The OE R44LTS6 plugs were barely finger tight, and worn to about .080". I gapped the NGK's at .060".
Reattached carpet to the driver's door panel
Temporarily secured front bumper

I still have a TON to do, mostly cosmetic. I'm going to have my upholstery guy go over the interior the best he can, and at some point I'll address the paint. However, the more I look at it the more I'm thinking I may just leave the exterior the way it is.

Overall, the ol' girl has been absolutely flawless. Especially taking into account it's 30+ year age combined with 3 years of storage. Short of the interior lights, EVERYTHING functions as it should. From the power accessories to the climate control to the digital dash. Even the RKE works, as does the security alarm.

It's a bit silly, but every time I get giddy every time I drive her. End of the day, it's nothing more than a 3 decade old GM... but as I'm a 90's kid it checks all the right boxes.

These cars are a labor of love. Keep 'em alive!

I couldn't agree more, and I must admit that I'm finding myself in a bit of a "cart before the horse" situation.

While many parts are still readily available, there are equally as many "unique" components that will prove both difficult to find and expensive should they become necessary.

For example: the headlight switch is a one year only part, and LONG discontinued. A good used part runs ~$300.

Same goes for the windshield. The glass hasn't been produced for years, and a good used part easily commands $1-2k.

I couldn't agree more, and I must admit that I'm finding myself in a bit of a "cart before the horse" situation.

While many parts are still readily available, there are equally as many "unique" components that will prove both difficult to find and expensive should they become necessary.

For example: the headlight switch is a one year only part, and LONG discontinued. A good used part runs ~$300.

Same goes for the windshield. The glass hasn't been produced for years, and a good used part easily commands $1-2k.
That's why people do Mustangs. Welcome to the club!
Let's just say my Corvette C2 and C3 knowledge is bought and paid for... Do not save or ever add up your receipts.
68_Vette back.jpg

That's why people do Mustangs. Welcome to the club!
Let's just say my Corvette C2 and C3 knowledge is bought and paid for... Do not save or ever add up your receipts.
View attachment 152787

You sound like me! When I buy a new vehicle, I become a knowledge vacuum. I must learn every detail.

Owning the Reatta reminds me of owning my 2003 Marauder. Sure, many of the parts were shared with every other Panther... but certain things proved challenging. One in particular comes to mind: the coolant crossover pipe. It was unique to the Marauder, being it was the only Panther equipped with the 4.6 DOHC.

Back