How many speakers do YOU have?

The new Jeep Grand Wagoneer has the option of a McIntosh sound system with 23 speakers. I don't know if that's the most in a factory system, but it sure sounds like a lot!

It's easy to get a lot of "speakers" in the aftermarket if you install 3-way coaxes. But how many speakers does your factory system have? And how does it sound? More speakers = more better?

Most of my cars have been six speaker setups: door speakers + tweeters up front and pair of full range drivers in the rear. And I think mostly they sound pretty good, except my Volvo S40 which was dismal.

In the car audio world, the accepted wisdom was a set of good two or three way components up front plus a sub...

4 Speakers in the Scion. First car had 2, but only when I hit a bump, most of the time only 1 worked.

Modern sound systems are amazing. I don't follow the aftermarket stereo industry, but I don't think it's doing very well with the high quality of sound systems and the fact its not really possible to upgrade an infotainment system.

A little googling tells me the Mercedes S-class has an available 4D (seat vibrators are the fourth dimension) Burmester audio system with 31 speakers. I think that's the champ?

I think number of speakers is possibly used for marketing purposes like number of megapixels in digital cameras a few years ago.

My Mustang GT has the Mach 460 system with 4 tweeters and 4 "woofers". They sound pretty good, but if I could easily fit dedicated aftermarket woofers, I would run those for when I want to be a menace to society

At some point, I wonder if there are diminishing returns on the number of speakers per cubic foot of cabin space/number of passengers.

Chrysler does a really good job with audio systems, I have no doubt this will continue the tradition.
I have the base "6 speaker" in my cherokee. to get the upgraded system was about $6500 more after going to elite trailhawk (vs reg) to be able to get the upgraded audio

Its ok. I upgraded the speakers for about 150 including plug n play adapter cables. Sounds much better without the mexican 3$ speakers.
It could use an amp for windows down driving but its decent.

Now dont even get me started on subaru with their radios that sound like AM all the time. (2011 and 2015 forester) and the 2013 outback wasnt much better.

It probably sounds great, my 14' Grand Cherokee has the 9 speaker plus sub Alpine stereo and it sounds great.

The Genesis had the 14 speaker Lexicon stereo. It was ok. Not the best.

The new Jeep Grand Wagoneer has the option of a McIntosh sound system with 23 speakers. I don't know if that's the most in a factory system, but it sure sounds like a lot!

It's easy to get a lot of "speakers" in the aftermarket if you install 3-way coaxes. But how many speakers does your factory system have? And how does it sound? More speakers = more better?

More speakers give more flexibility in creating a better soundstage.

An automotive interior is an absolutely terrible place to listen to music. There are hard surfaces, soft surfaces, external noises, and the listeners are all sitting offset in the soundstage. Whoever is designing the audio system can't do a darn thing about any of these problems.

What they can do is place the speakers (even there they are constrained by hundreds of other consideration needed to package things in the interior) and apply audio processing. More speakers isn't about more sound, it's about better placement of the sound. Physical placement is the first layer and processing is the second.

Cadillac CT6 had an available Bose Panaray system with 34 speakers in 19 locations. It was a very nice sounding system.

My truck has seven speakers and it sounds alright. I added a vehicle-specific Kicker setup that added a DSP amp for the primary channels and a powered underseat sub. I can nit-pick it how it sounds but I don't regret the addition.

My Prior vehicles:
2000 Hyundai Sonata - 6 ( Tweeters on A pillars, one in each front Door, 2 in Parcel Shelf)
2005 Dodge Neon - 6 ( same as above, except tweeters on dash instead of A pillars)
2009 Mercury Sable - 6 ( one in each Door, 2 Woofers in parcel shelf) [Audiophile sound system]
Currently:
2013 Ford Cmax - 9 ( Tweeters at top of dash, and top of back doors, Woofers bottom of all 4 Doors and a Center channel in the middle of the dash) [ 8" Screen Sony System]

2017 Regal GS, Bose 8 speaker system, terrible, no bottom end.
2008 Malibu LTZ, factory 8 speaker system, good, plenty of bottom end.
2015 GMC Terrain DENALI, Pioneer system, 6 speaker system with 8" woofer, kick butt.
1983 Silverado, Kenwood system, 2 speaker, been dead for the last 25 yrs.
Like atikovi Flowmaster is my cruising tunes. :D

Chrysler does a really good job with audio systems, I have no doubt this will continue the tradition.
I found the Alpine 9 speaker+sub in my old Durango to be mediocre at best. The No name but otherwise the same system in the van sounds marginally better. Just something about the midrange in that system isn’t right.

My truck has 6 speakers, 2 in the dash then one in each door. It sounds pretty good.

Back