How is the 5.0L Coyote in F-150?

can you reference a tsb for 2015 coyote and oil consumption?? I believe you are conflating some years of coyote engines with the plasma coated cylinders of more recent iterations.
It was for 2018-2020. It was a PCM re-flash that left the throttle open a little on deceleration to prevent high vacuum and a different dip stick with a 2 qt add to full window instead of the standard 1 qt.

The current gen coyote has a wet belt oil pump drive system like the 2.7 TT and 1.0.

I Do Cars has torn down the 1.0 and 2.7TT. Both wet belts looked absolutely terrible. This reason alone I would avoid the coyote, or the 2.7 at all costs.

What’s the difference between the Coyote in Mustang and F150 ?
Ive heard the tune and intake manifold for more low end torque…

I know on the Mustang the tick is nothing to worry about and my wife’s 2020 consumes very little oil. I installed JLT catch can and it does catch a nice amount of oil when I check it every 5K miles.

Reactions: wtd
The current gen coyote has a wet belt oil pump drive system like the 2.7 TT and 1.0.

I Do Cars has torn down the 1.0 and 2.7TT. Both wet belts looked absolutely terrible. This reason alone I would avoid the coyote, or the 2.7 at all costs.

I hate the internet. the 2.7 has been one of the most reliable powertrains that ford has ever produced. you dont even hear anything bad on the forums and thats saying something. because anyone who ever has issue comes to the forums for answers. there were other comments equating gen 3 with gen 2. and others that have complained about parts between the aluminum and steel trucks that were changed or said that were changed and the part number stayed the same. people just talk and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. when looking at a used vehicle please do your diligence and find something clean and have it checked out by a mechanic. beyond that any used vehicle can have problems and its a risk that you have to be willing to take. look up front end issues on youtube and see how many tundra videos come up or how many injection pump issues they've had or how many have transfer case issues. just whatever you do don't listen to random people on the internet, take the vehicle to reputable mechanic have them give you a rundown of the vehicle.

I hate the internet. the 2.7 has been one of the most reliable powertrains that ford has ever produced. you dont even hear anything bad on the forums and thats saying something. because anyone who ever has issue comes to the forums for answers. there were other comments equating gen 3 with gen 2. and others that have complained about parts between the aluminum and steel trucks that were changed or said that were changed and the part number stayed the same. people just talk and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. when looking at a used vehicle please do your diligence and find something clean and have it checked out by a mechanic. beyond that any used vehicle can have problems and its a risk that you have to be willing to take. look up front end issues on youtube and see how many tundra videos come up or how many injection pump issues they've had or how many have transfer case issues. just whatever you do don't listen to random people on the internet, take the vehicle to reputable mechanic have them give you a rundown of the vehicle.
b_b, I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of 2.7L's that will be ok, but there will be secondhand owners who are shocked when their belts tear, and I stand by my original comment. Ford makes terrible engineering decisions, that belt looks terrible in the video. Maybe when the engine became cooked due to lack of lubrication it caused that belt to deteriorate quickly, but I highly doubt it. Same with his 1.0 video with oil starvation and the belt looked like a dinosaur chomped on it. My takeaway if I was a 5.0L, 2.7L, or 1.0 owner would be to shorten OCIs and plan for replacing the belt.

b_b, I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of 2.7L's that will be ok, but there will be secondhand owners who are shocked when their belts tear, and I stand by my original comment. Ford makes terrible engineering decisions, that belt looks terrible in the video. Maybe when the engine became cooked due to lack of lubrication it caused that belt to deteriorate quickly, but I highly doubt it. Same with his 1.0 video with oil starvation and the belt looked like a dinosaur chomped on it. My takeaway if I was a 5.0L, 2.7L, or 1.0 owner would be to shorten OCIs and plan for replacing the belt.
the 2.7 has been out for eight years. i have never seen a post about the oil pump belt. never. i also stand by my original comment. there will always be outliers and horror stories, no matter the make or model.

the 2.7 has been out for eight years. i have never seen a post about the oil pump belt. never. i also stand by my original comment. there will always be outliers and horror stories, no matter the make or model.
I think I only the later ones have an oil pump drive belt

My belt concern is with engine or oil solvent type additives such as B12. Getting that stuff in the oil seems like that’s a good way to damage a belt

The fact that I know the belt is there, is enough to give me heartburn. Even if it's reliable to 300K I still don't like it.

As an update, another one of our 2018's is potentially down for the count. Maybe 120,000km on the clock that has the usual wiring issues and stalling. No discernable chain slap but stalling with a over rich code (can't remember which one though). It cleared itself once in a while but always came back. I figured the map/maf might be dirty as it swills oil like I drank beer in my army days. The dealer just came back saying it needs a new engine. Regardless of what the second opinion says, I've never run a truck that embodies so many problems.

Back