How is the 5.0L Coyote in F-150?

Hopefully my last question as I research into used trucks.

I hated the 5.4L 3V engine and would never own one outside of it being brand new that I maintain myself, but im not reading good things about the 5.0L either. Opinions?

and on the bad years, what were they and what kind of problems?

For example the 5.4L 3v had bad roller followers regardless of maint, and the tensioners would blow out and leak oil pressure starving the affected head. Not really anything you could do other then open it up every 100k and change them.

and on the bad years, what were they and what kind of problems?

For example the 5.4L 3v had bad roller followers regardless of maint, and the tensioners would blow out and leak oil pressure starving the affected head. Not really anything you could do other then open it up every 100k and change them.
Use the metal tensioners, or MMR tensioners.
Install HV oil pump

3rd Gen burns oil due to the Plasma cylinder lining I believe. Also the BBQ TICK folks were complaining about
I don't understand that. My 5.8 Trinity motor in my 13 GT500 doesn't burn a drop of oil and it was the very first Ford mod motor to have plasma arc cylinders. What went wrong?

Have also drag races many Nikasil coated AL cylinders in the past without issue.

My fiancé's son has a 2014 F150 with the 5.0L and it currently has around 240,000 miles on it. It was entirely trouble free until about 190,000 miles when it needed a timing job. He changes his oil by the OLM which tells him to change it about every 9-10K miles. He drives a lot for his job.
My Fiancé owns a 2017 F150 with the 5.0L with about 49,000 miles. No engine problems and it doesn't use any oil. The only issue she has had with it was the AC clutch let go at about 32,000 miles. Other than that, no problems.

i have the third gen 5.0. they burn oil for a certain time until the rings seat. when i first got the truck it burnt a quart every ~ 4k. im at 73k now and it burns less than a quart over a 5k interval. otherwise its ran like a sowing machine.

3rd Gen burns oil due to the Plasma cylinder lining I believe. Also the BBQ TICK folks were complaining about
They don't all have this problem. My 2019 used oil, but it was leaking from the head into the cylinders somewhere. Ford replaced the engine for me and this one seems good. Plenty of power and decent mileage. My son has a 2017 5.0 (2nd gen). It is quieter than mine because it doesn't have the direct injection, but gets considerably worse mileage with the 6-speed.

Very early gen 1s had some phaser and head gasket issues maybe, but they fixed that pretty early. Probably all would have had it done by now if they needed it. 2015-2017 gen 2s have about 25 more hp

Last edited:
They don't all have this problem. My 2019 used oil, but it was leaking from the head into the cylinders somewhere. Ford replaced the engine for me and this one seems good. Plenty of power and decent mileage. My son has a 2017 5.0 (2nd gen). It is quieter than mine because it doesn't have the direct injection, but gets considerably worse mileage with the 6-speed.

Very early gen 1s had some phaser and head gasket issues maybe, but they fixed that pretty early. Probably all would have had it done by now if they needed it. 2015-2017 gen 2s have about 25 more hp
the gen 2 coyotes are really good, their Achilles heal is the six speed and no direct injection. they don't make the power nor get the fuel economy that the gen 3 gets.

I’m very happy with my 2015 5.0 Lariat with 6R80 transmission. I’m original owner and couldn’t ask for a better tru o for my needs. I don’t tow anything of substance so that could matter to you.

I also had a 2004 Triton and had little to no issues. I bought it from a known person who did 3k oci Pennz yellow bottle religiously. I never had any of the phaser issues so many did. The 15 is of course night and day above the 04. What I do notice is the lackluster feeling yet screen compared to a newer vehicle…just not anywhere as crisp a screen.

Hopefully my last question as I research into used trucks.

I hated the 5.4L 3V engine and would never own one outside of it being brand new that I maintain myself, but im not reading good things about the 5.0L either. Opinions?
The 5.0 coyote has a TSB out on it for excessive oil consumption. Used car market for F150's with the V-8 will be dicey, as who knows how many of them were run with low oil level with the owners not even thinking to check the oil level on such a new vehicle.

I've spent a lot of time reviewing the F150 engine choices - all of them can easily leave you with a huge repair bill.
As nice as they ride and are to drive, they are very risky from a reliability standpoint.
Some repairs I've read about were $12k.

Some manufacturers come out with these incredibly brilliant engine designs with all the latest technology
but they didn't get the memo that you're suppossed to exhaustively test the design in Quality Assurance for a while before going to Production.

Last edited:
I will chime in and allow my blood pressure to spike for a bit. I think the 5.0 F150s are an absurdly large POS. Ford did a tremendous job of engineering such a pile of garbage.

Now the caveat, I have several hundred thousand km on various versions from the 2013 to some new 2021 or 2022. my office runs four F150s at a time and our neighboring offices have similar.

I prefer the 2014 I had run up to a few years back. Handled rough roads better than the new "aluminum" bodied ones. Worst issues were the vacuum hubs leaking and grinding. I don't think we had any vvt issues or engines grenading.

Now the 2015s and up had hub issues and everyone had vvt solenoid issues. Had many trips to the dealer and indy shop. All had to have the top ends opened up. The 2018 I just retired had its engine opened twice for solenoids. They stall and drink oil worse than a coked up Toyota. Oh and then endless timing chain slap and then every F150 has a poor rear wiring harness. All of them. Any gravel road use ends up with the usual, license plate lights get knocked out, then back up camera, then electric e brake, then cruise control, trailer connected/disconnected warning lights and sometimes the sway control intervenes randomly causing severe driving safetly issues. Every truck goes in at least twice in its life before being retired.

That 2018 was retired because it self destructed and earned a flat deck ride out of my life. Another 2018 just had its engine replaced as well.

Sorry, I can't even put together further details or even coherent paragraphs, I just hate these trucks that much. If you buy the truck solely for dry asphalt, unloaded, non truck driving, then have at it. If you want a truck that lasts longer, a used Lada is a better start.

I will chime in and allow my blood pressure to spike for a bit. I think the 5.0 F150s are an absurdly large POS. Ford did a tremendous job of engineering such a pile of garbage.

Now the caveat, I have several hundred thousand km on various versions from the 2013 to some new 2021 or 2022. my office runs four F150s at a time and our neighboring offices have similar.

I prefer the 2014 I had run up to a few years back. Handled rough roads better than the new "aluminum" bodied ones. Worst issues were the vacuum hubs leaking and grinding. I don't think we had any vvt issues or engines grenading.

Now the 2015s and up had hub issues and everyone had vvt solenoid issues. Had many trips to the dealer and indy shop. All had to have the top ends opened up. The 2018 I just retired had its engine opened twice for solenoids. They stall and drink oil worse than a coked up Toyota. Oh and then endless timing chain slap and then every F150 has a poor rear wiring harness. All of them. Any gravel road use ends up with the usual, license plate lights get knocked out, then back up camera, then electric e brake, then cruise control, trailer connected/disconnected warning lights and sometimes the sway control intervenes randomly causing severe driving safetly issues. Every truck goes in at least twice in its life before being retired.

That 2018 was retired because it self destructed and earned a flat deck ride out of my life. Another 2018 just had its engine replaced as well.

Sorry, I can't even put together further details or even coherent paragraphs, I just hate these trucks that much. If you buy the truck solely for dry asphalt, unloaded, non truck driving, then have at it. If you want a truck that lasts longer, a used Lada is a better start.
But I thought ford quality was right up there with Nissan and The Famous Toyota ? What happen give ford another chance

the gen 2 coyotes are really good, their Achilles heal is the six speed and no direct injection. they don't make the power nor get the fuel economy that the gen 3 gets.
I'm not sure i'd call it an achilles heal. It's not really a problem and is probably more
reliable. They are only about 10hp less. I think the 6 speed has more to do with worse mileage than the direct injection.

I know OP is asking about used ones. The referenced years do have known issues on some percentage of vehicles but there are millions upon millions out there. I pulled up the Fuelly data on 2016 model with 5.0:
"Based on data from 274 vehicles, 20,438 fuel-ups and 7,235,671 miles of driving, the 2016 Ford F-150 gets a combined Avg MPG of 15.92 with a 0.04 MPG margin of error."
You can easily check the other model years too. I think this points to a pretty reliable and long-lived engine. If you have the time you could compare to other engines and vehicles.

That said, no problems so far with my 2021 F-150 with the 5.0. Mostly commuting and light hauling over 31,000 miles. I absolutely love it, especially the engine.

The 5.0 coyote has a TSB out on it for excessive oil consumption. Used car market for F150's with the V-8 will be dicey, as who knows how many of them were run with low oil level with the owners not even thinking to check the oil level on such a new vehicle.

I've spent a lot of time reviewing the F150 engine choices - all of them can easily leave you with a huge repair bill.
As nice as they ride and are to drive, they are very risky from a reliability standpoint.
Some repairs I've read about were $12k.

Some manufacturers come out with these incredibly brilliant engine designs with all the latest technology
but they didn't get the memo that you're suppossed to exhaustively test the design in Quality Assurance for a while before going to Production.
can you reference a tsb for 2015 coyote and oil consumption?? I believe you are conflating some years of coyote engines with the plasma coated cylinders of more recent iterations.

Back