How do you prepare your turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The most important thing to do to a turkey to make it the best tasting is to BRINE it! I do about a dozen or so turkeys this time of the year for family and friends and they keep coming back for more. A brine is simple to do.

Dry Brine

We put half a turkey in the crock pot with one packet of onion soup mix cover and slow cook on low for 6 hrs. Comes out fantastic! (Don't add water!) just the soup mix. Has great flavor.

My father's side deep frys the turkey in peanut oil. It is generally great, but leaves a burn ring in the grass below. My mom's side bakes theirs and is generally good as well, but has less flavor and not as juicy.
One year a family member accidentally used pledge instead of Pam on the Turkey. Believe it or not, it was the best Turkey I have ever had. Everyone wondered what we had done differently!

Originally Posted By: Dorian

One year a family member accidentally used pledge instead of Pam on the Turkey. Believe it or not, it was the best Turkey I have ever had. Everyone wondered what we had done differently!

Pledge is ok but only the lemon one. Much prefer pine sol

I smoke my turkeys. My dad always does deep fry. They are equally delicious to me. I prefer either to oven cooking.

eek.gif
I smoke it with a mix of apple and cherry wood stuffed , I also separate the skin over the tops of the breasts and slide pats of butter under the skin as deep as my hand go
prep work of course is a proper brine to soak the bird for a few days,

slow /wet fire about 250 degrees F 4 hours with a drip pan with water to catch drippings to make gravy

You left out smoked..as in pecan smoked. Best flavor ever. No need for gallons of boiling oil either.

I've also roasted in the oven with the caveat that turkeys are bred for HUGE BREASTS these days. That amount of white meat will dry out quick. Brining helps but don't brine one of those "pre-injected" birds...it'll be very, very salty.

Williams-Sonoma makes a great turkey seasoning paste. It's actually STRONG ENOUGH to do some good as turkey is so bland. I go over the top with herbs to compensate. A good, deep, rich gravy also helps. There's just not much there there flavor-wise, so you really have to kick it up a lot.

I like to smoke a spiral ham with pecan wood & Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce + cracked black pepper. Low & slow. Lots of flavor and makes the casa smell great indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back