Making french fries in Pakistan

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I would try them....... McDonalds in the 1950s reportedly would open air dry their fries before cooking in the California desert. Interesting to see a pre factory method of preparing and cooking french fries on a large scale.

The handling of the money, the placing of the fries in a bag, and the seasoning of the fries suggest might be a place to get a stomach illness for people without immune system protection for certain illnesses. Old school cash register.....

Last edited:
I would try them....... McDonalds in the 1950s reportedly would open air dry their fries before cooking in the California desert. Interesting to see a pre factory method of preparing and cooking french fries on a large scale.

The handling of the money, the placing of the fries in a bag, and the seasoning of the fries suggest might be a place to get a stomach illness for people without immune system protection for certain illnesses. Old school cash register.....

All I can tell you GON is that there a lot of people trying to give this vendor money as quickly as they can! If they have had stomach bubbles in the past, it doesn't show. 😀

Reactions: GON
Back in the 1950's McDonald's had a similar way of slicing fresh potatoes an frying them.

Our McD's tumbled potatoes in a peeler, whammed them through a cutter, soaked the starch up 3 times and fried the famous fries all within sight of the public.

Reused oils is where stomach cancer comes from but I bet cooking meats (protein) is more hazardous than cooking veggies/tubers/legumes.

I dunno, if it's 0W-20 maybe, anything heavier it'd probably come back on me :).
Watched a video done in India of a road side mobil restaurant. Buddy would take the used dishes, wash them in the ditch water running under his wheeled stand and use them.
Another showed a guy walking up to his again, roadside stand in his bare feet, start to kneed the bread using his feet, baking it then serving it...talk about foot and mouth disease.

I dunno, if it's 0W-20 maybe, anything heavier it'd probably come back on me :).
Watched a video done in India of a road side mobil restaurant. Buddy would take the used dishes, wash them in the ditch water running under his wheeled stand and use them.
Another showed a guy walking up to his again, roadside stand in his bare feet, start to kneed the bread using his feet, baking it then serving it...talk about foot and mouth disease.
That’s doesn’t sound healthy to me at all. More like disgusting

Other than the obvious sanitary issues, that actually pretty similar to the way that every In-N-Out prepares their fries. They're constantly rinsing and I've seen the employees risk their fingers by trying to toss in potatoes into the dicer quickly.

The only issue is that they use potatoes that aren't very good for a single cooking. I don't particularly like their fries unless ordered well done, but then it's almost crunchy like a potato chicl.

Kennywood amusement park has a concession stand called The Potato Patch that freshly slices the french fries. It's probably the best place to get french fries within many miles of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. People have commented that if the park did not have an admission cost they would travel there frequently just to go to the Potato Patch to get their French fries.

Reactions: GON
They "wash" the potatoes to get rid of the starch, not cleaning dirt or contaminant off them. The heat in the oil will likely destroy anything that will kill you but I'm not sure about the guy touching food with his LEFT hands. You know the rule about left hand wiping right hand eating at least, and I hate to say he can't follow that rule he shouldn't be running a food business if they eat with hands. Yeah putting that on the internet to brag and advertise is not the best IMO.

Some of those potatoes were green inside. A green potato is not good, from what I've read they can make you really sick.

Some of those potatoes were green inside. A green potato is not good, from what I've read they can make you really sick.

That's chlorophyll. Potatoes produce chlorophyll when they're exposed to light. But another thing forms when they're exposed to light, which is solanine. There's always going to be some in any potato, but it's a matter of how much. It should be fine as long as they're peeled away to the point where any green is gone.

I previously mentioned how many times fries are cooked. Here's an interesting exercise in that, although I would have thought that the title would have mentioned "chips".

Back