How do I shrink heat shrink tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be doing some wiring on my jeep...and I want to cover everything I do with heat shrink tubing. How exactly do I shrink the stuff? I know it needs to be heated...but I don't have a "heat gun". Would a propane torch work? Maybe a hair dryer?
grin.gif

Supposedly, you need a 400F heat source to "properly" to heat-shrinking.

Yeah, a butane torch will work.

Hair dryers will sometimes work, it just depends...usually though, it will take awhile and you have to make sure to get the heat-shrink uniformly "shrunk"

Believe it or not, matches will also work!

heat guns are fairly cheap, and unlike a butane torch they won't melt wire insulation, or eventually burn through the heat shrink. I'd recommend a heat gun. Otherwise you might end up creating more problems than you solve.

If you are going to do alot of wiring/heat shrink tube, get a heat gun. I do a modest amount but not enough to need a good gun. I have a portable butane soldering iron that has a couple of tips just for heat shrink tubing. Its made by Weller and cost about $25.Does great for all my wiring needs and I'm forever finding other uses for it.

Go to the hardware store and purchase a hot air gun, they're typically used for stripping paint. They are cheap and effective. I have one and use it for heat shrink at home all the time.

If you are going to use a heat gun, craft a little shield that will bounce the heat onto the heatshrink opposite the gun outlet. We use heatshrink in aviation every day.

I have used a Weller butane soldering iron with a diffuser tip. I use heat shrink tubeing on all the automotive wireing I do and for RF repair work.

In the 12 year I worked as a Tech. I was the only tech. that soldered(sp) and then shrink tubed. If it is worth doing it is worth doing right!! Most tech's would twist a pair of wires then use liquid tape on them or plain electrical tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back