No heated seats, AC, defrost, front or rear, (HVAC settings) when remote starting 17 Chev Impala premier?

irv

The car has these features as they are in the EVIC/Menu settings and I shut them off then back on again just recently to make sure.
We've had this car 4-5 yrs now and I told my wife, despite her telling me differently, that her heated seats, defrost (front and rear) and her AC in the summer do not come on when using the remote start.
I tried finding the info on Impala forums but most were people not knowing temps outside (hot and cold) have to be a certain temperature for these features to turn on automatically when using the remote start. I am aware of those and I am also aware, once the vehicle is started these features will shut off and need to be turned back on manually when you enter the car and start the vehicle normally.
What my wife has been doing is to ensure she leaves the front defrost feature on high and the rear defroster on before she shuts off the vehicle and exits it. This is not needed, according to the manual, if you have these features, which this vehicle does. Her car is the Premier and does have Auto Climate control, heated seats, etc. It is missing (it was another up pkg-$$) the heated steering wheel, however, and an upgraded stereo.
We've also noticed, when we do enter the car and start it like you're suppose to, (foot on brake-push button) the screen for the heater/AC is just one long black line/black screen near the bottom. It does not show the incremental or bar moving across in either direction. This only happens when we use the remote start? Could it possibly be a fuse somewhere or is this something other maybe?
If anyone has even a remote clue, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks...

Attachments

• WP_20230820_12_25_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20230820_12_25_09_Pro.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I received this from a mechanic on a snowmobile forum I belong to but since its the weekend, the member hasn't replied yet to my follow up questions asking about said fuse, module and its location and what a CANBUS is/means. Can anyone elaborate on this further? And also wondering if anyone is aware of any TSB's or the like regarding this issue?
Thanks
"If it’s not a settings issue Irv you can disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and try the soft reset. If not I’m afraid that module might not be communicating properly. The only thing I can say that’s easy is I’d see if there is a fuse for that module. Sometimes they get just dirty enough to not quite have the proper voltage to work with the CANBUS"

I saw a video on YouTube recently about a Ford Limited pickup truck that cost $5300 to replace the tail lights!
Turned out that water intrusion caused the CANBUS and wiring harness to corrode. Several systems were built directly into the taillight housing, such as radar sensors, etc.
The strangest part of the story was the mechanic doing the trouble shooting found that the A/C controls and seats wouldn't work, and weren't even being "seen" by the scan tool! Just MISSING all features that this highly optioned truck should have had.
New lenses, sensors, modules and harness were needed to fix the issue!

Reactions: irv
I saw a video on YouTube recently about a Ford Limited pickup truck that cost $5300 to replace the tail lights!
Turned out that water intrusion caused the CANBUS and wiring harness to corrode. Several systems were built directly into the taillight housing, such as radar sensors, etc.
The strangest part of the story was the mechanic doing the trouble shooting found that the A/C controls and seats wouldn't work, and weren't even being "seen" by the scan tool! Just MISSING all features that this highly optioned truck should have had.
New lenses, sensors, modules and harness were needed to fix the issue!

Well, I certainly hope that's not the case with this car. But, like your story above, it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing was going on? Not a chance I'll be spending any money, unless it's on the cheap side, to have this fixed. My wife doesn't want me to disconnect the battery because she doesn't want all her radio presets erased so that should tell you all you need to know how important this is to her. Myself, on the other hand, would like to fix, especially since it came with the car. Hopefully I can figure something out and get it working again? A fuse would be ideal but I don't even know where to look/where to begin, unfortunately.
Thanks...

Well, I certainly hope that's not the case with this car. But, like your story above, it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing was going on? Not a chance I'll be spending any money, unless it's on the cheap side, to have this fixed. My wife doesn't want me to disconnect the battery because she doesn't want all her radio presets erased so that should tell you all you need to know how important this is to her. Myself, on the other hand, would like to fix, especially since it came with the car. Hopefully I can figure something out and get it working again? A fuse would be ideal but I don't even know where to look/where to begin, unfortunately.
Thanks...
Go pick up one of those plug in devices that keep the radio from losing its presets.

You basically have the same infotainment as my truck. I took pictures but the scan rate on the display made then ugly as all.

Something is definitely wrong with the communication between modules and a scantool would tell you more. I'd be more inclined to visit a dealer because they'll be able to go into each module vs. the Harbor Freight tool.

From my personal experience it will pre cool or heat the cabin to what seems like the previous set temp before you left. It will activate the A/C to cool or defrost depending on the temp & humidity. It will also run the rear defroster based on temp as well. The heated seats do come on in the winter but they are pretty weak to begin with in the truck so it isn't felt right away.

If you don't see a bar come up on the bottom of the screen when you change the climate controls showing what you are doing then yes something is wrong with the module communication.

2017_chevrolet_impala_instrumentpanel.jpg

You basically have the same infotainment as my truck. I took pictures but the scan rate on the display made then ugly as all.

Something is definitely wrong with the communication between modules and a scantool would tell you more. I'd be more inclined to visit a dealer because they'll be able to go into each module vs. the Harbor Freight tool.

From my personal experience it will pre cool or heat the cabin to what seems like the previous set temp before you left. It will activate the A/C to cool or defrost depending on the temp & humidity. It will also run the rear defroster based on temp as well. The heated seats do come on in the winter but they are pretty weak to begin with in the truck so it isn't felt right away.

If you don't see a bar come up on the bottom of the screen when you change the climate controls showing what you are doing then yes something is wrong with the module communication.
As info, even showing/telling where this canbus is located, is hard to find anywhere, it's looking more and more like a trip to the dealer is in order.
Thanks for the info! (Pic of the cars infotainment center)

Attachments

• WP_20230810_20_13_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20230810_20_13_20_Pro.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 4
As info, even showing/telling where this canbus is located, is hard to find anywhere, it's looking more and more like a trip to the dealer is in order.
Thanks for the info! (Pic of the cars infotainment center)
Ya when you change any of the climate controls a bar should come up on the bottom with the status and such. If you don't get that then ya something is amiss that only a dealer could really diagnose.

Back