Can I use heat to loosen a Mag Lite battery cap?

My buddy said NO! It's dangerous! Because there are batteries inside.
I say it's OK, maybe just use a heat gun. I was talking about a propane torch at first, but if there is an issue with the batteries, maybe a heat gun is safer.

Have you tried using adjustable pliers? I would use the heat gun as a last resort, maybe ice down the barrel and heat the cap.

Get a piece of leather or thick rubber and cushion those jaws.
Go crazy? Remove the reflector/lens housing and bulb.
Chill in freezer. Immerse the barrel end in boiling water for a minute, then twist it. You're not going to hurt anything.

Your next hurtle will be finding a solvent for the batteries' leakage.

Spray penetrant, let sit overnight, and ….

Just beat to it. Was going to say boiling water but Kira just said it.

Yeah, I might just toss it. Cut it open on the lathe, and maybe make something else out of it?

Soak it in a weak acid solution and it will dissolve the corrosion (or dip it in a strong solution more briefly). Unless it has eaten away parts, it will work again. Flashlights are incredibly simple.

Is it the newer mag light with an LED bulb or the older original style. If its the older one, throw it in the garbage and get a LED version. ;)
Yeah, OK, Yeah, it's the old one. I do remember too if you dropped the 2 AA battery size one, the bulb used to blow out instantly.

Just give the flashlight to any 5-year-old and tell him "Do not open it!" Give it a few minutes. I'm obviously kidding. You don't want to expose a kid to a leaking battery. But they do open anything in almost no time.

What did MagLite advise when you sent them a message inquiring? I've always found their CS to be excellent.
They said if it was stuck, it was because of the batteries. They couldn't do anything about it. They offered some sort of discount on a new one.
Not sure how much. I know it was suggested to just toss it if it was the old one, but It would still be a good little flashlight to have at my desk, for the price of 2 AA batteries and maybe a new bulb.

Back