How do I fix this brake line without replacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to break it to you but ALL of your brake lines are bound to need replaced by now.

I can understand replacing just that one run until you have time to do the rest but please do not wait long.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Should be able to get a short piece of the same size and fittings, cut off one end and use a union fitting to join new with old.

Unsafe and illegal!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by atikovi
Should be able to get a short piece of the same size and fittings, cut off one end and use a union fitting to join new with old.

Unsafe and illegal!

Compression fittings are unsafe and illegal but a proper flared coupling should be fine.

That said, it would only be a band-aid in this case. Those all look sketchy. What vehicle?

Flaring and using a union would probably work but be way more effort than just replacing the line properly.

Oddly enough, in NY state, compression fittings are legal under 7500GVWR.

I'd like to watch someone try and flare that old corroded brake line. Yeah right! The ONLY fix is to replace.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Flaring and using a union would probably work but be way more effort than just replacing the line properly.

Oddly enough, in NY state, compression fittings are legal under 7500GVWR.

Brake lines could be rusted to crap too, and pass.

They had a big limo crash around here that killed 20 people....they implicated the rear axle crossover line being rotted out.

OP could rent a flare tool (free) and repair easily with a small premade piece (about $5).

Only one flare is needed. The repair piece will have one end matching your proportioning thread and another to connect to the tube and the flare you make. Be sure to slip a nut on first.

If this is beyond your skill level please contact a qualified shop to repair correctly. There is nothing else you can do to fix this.

The line in question appears to be the short easily accessed one that goes from the junction block over to the wheel. So you should replace it end to end rather than try to splice. It really looks like if you touch any of those lines at all, they're going to just fall apart though.

If you peel back the plastic you might find good line to splice into.

But as others said, it's easier to just take a saturday and do them all.

Originally Posted by slybunda
Would you replace with steel, copper or kunifer?

I always replace brake lines with NiCopp. Here in the salt belt, steel lines get eaten pretty quickly unless the owner keeps their underbody cleaned off and when using NiCopp I know they'll never need done again.

Compression fitting. I know everyone says not to use them, but I've never had an issue when I lived in the rust belt. If the line is short enough, replace it.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Compression fitting. I know everyone says not to use them, but I've never had an issue when I lived in the rust belt. If the line is short enough, replace it.

You let me know when you are in my area because I am staying off the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back