How come with 5w-20??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

We have seen that 5w-20 oil seems to be good oil.

Look at this photo.

-

For Use ONLY in vehicles where 5w-20 grade is recommended by the manaufacturer...

So, Castrol is telling us not to use in anything else.

Any comments?

I've seen a few posts where folks are using it in their engines that are not calling for 5w-20.

Take care, Bill

PS: This case is for my Dads Honda powered 3.5 v6 in his new Vue... It calls for the 5w-20.

At the risk of this turning into another 5w20 holy war, I'll respond...

I believe that warning is just there for legal coverage and for Joe Sixpack. If Joe buys this for his 8.1L Chevy HD pickup because he makes a lot of short trips, he's probably going to regret it. Lots of people try new things just because they're new, the label just suggests that people just follow OEM oil specs for their car, Honda, Ford, or otherwise.

I agree with the legal angle. However, why use it anyway if your vehicle doesn't call for it
dunno.gif
I have been one of the new great debaters on this topic as I have 2 vehicles that call for 5w-20 and I am on the fence as to whether it is going to protect my vehicles, and whetehr or not i should continue to use it.

quote:

Originally posted by High Plains Drifter:
I wonder why we don't see that same warning on 10w-30
confused.gif

Because most of the engines in N.A. were Val/Ver'ed on 5-10w30 for the past 40 years?

I do not think that oil wts. are all that different as some people make them out to be. If an engine is designed to run on 30 wt oil then a 20 or 40 wt. oil can be used. What YOU should use depends on your particular application of the car.

If the car is designed for 20 wt oil then a 10 or 30 wt could be used. If just happens that there are no 10 wt motor oils out there except for racing. I suspect that will change however.

Most commonly people go thicker because they believe that THEIR driving situation is the worst. Only towing or high speeds in excess of say 100 MPH as on several European super-highways will result in higher oil temperatures and the (possible) need for a thicker oil.

aehaas

PS Then there are those people who live outside the box. I use a 20 wt oil in a Ferrari spec'd for a 40 wt oil.

[ April 22, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: AEHaas ]

Gary (G-Man II) was nice enough to design this for me. I think he is a professional grafix designer. I do my own office brochures and hand-outs on QuarkExpress and Photoshop among other programs so I know what went into this avatar. Thanks Gary.

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
PS Then there are those people who live outside the box. I use a 20 wt oil in a Ferrari spec'd for a 40 wt oil.

But didn't you say your Ferrari came with Helix Ultra 5w30 from the factory?
confused.gif

True. And the Maybach that recommends the 0W-40 M1 also comes with a 30 wt. oil on delivery and they say it is good to at least 10,000 miles!

I guess I may only be going 1 grade off then. Maybe I should try a 10 wt Red Line racing oil?

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by m6scargo:
I agree with the legal angle. However, why use it anyway if your vehicle doesn't call for it
dunno.gif
I have been one of the new great debaters on this topic as I have 2 vehicles that call for 5w-20 and I am on the fence as to whether it is going to protect my vehicles, and whetehr or not i should continue to use it.

People use 5w20 oils in engines calling for a thicker oil because they believe it is "best" for their driving style, temps, etc. It is the same reason that people use 5w30 and 10w30 in engines calling for 5w20, they think it is "best".

This is America, use any oil you want and get the benefit of your selection. Personally, I think the car makers are pretty smart and generally know what they are talking about. Not perfection, just pretty good.

In my truck, I use Motorcraft 5W-20 during the winter, and M1 5W-40 in the summer. I pull my 5th wheel more in the summer than in the winter. Between the two, that should come out to a 5W-30, and that's what the Ram calls for.. lol... At least maybe half of the time, I will be running the right oil.. lol
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
True. And the Maybach that recommends the 0W-40 M1 also comes with a 30 wt. oil on delivery and they say it is good to at least 10,000 miles!

Does the Maybach actually have a Mobil 1 sticker under the hood like the AMG Benzes do, or do they just recommend Mobil 1 in the manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back