House Plan- Your Thoughts?

Lot of shingles--how long will they last, and at what cost to replace?

I don’t hate stairs but I’m not getting younger—and with a disabled son a ranch was our “dream” home. We still have a basement, which works great for us, my office and our “gym” is down there.

I like simple, it seems the price for nicer stuff follows an exponential curve when you factor long term expenses.
At my age that isn't important to me. I understand it but I ain't 20 or 30 years old-lol
Everything in life cost you. The human body being the most expensive item in life to maintain.

The shingles are lifetime high wind shingles- not limited to 130 mph unlike the mid-range.
Now lifetime actually means 50 years and the Algae warranty is a 10 year only warranty.

I'm with you on the ranch and basement. I think many here haven't owned a modern properly engineered basement
and thus, the dislike. It doubles your sq. footage and keeps clutter out of your main living area.

I'm with you on the ranch and basement. I think many here haven't owned a modern properly engineered basement
and thus, the dislike. It doubles your sq. footage and keeps clutter out of your main living area.
One of the reasons why we bought ours was because of the basement. The plot of land looks like they built it up a bit--and they must have gone to town on drainage around the house. Some part is surely from digging the basement. No sump pump here--but we could that it had not had a leak in 20 years (age of the house) when we inspected it. We do run a dehumidifier in the basement, with oil fired hot water (and being underground) there is no getting around that. Small cost. The a/c running upstairs in the summer is doing the same thing, pulling moisture out of the air, to prevent issues.

Put differently: my 1,900 sqft house has a 1,900 sqft basement. Wish they had dug one foot deeper, even still, it's like 8' height. I put in a drop ceiling into my office and yeah, it's like 7' or whatever--I don't care, I sit in my office, and I'm well under 6' tall.

Ping pong table and a space for doing workouts, and still yet more space.

One of the reasons why we bought ours was because of the basement. The plot of land looks like they built it up a bit--and they must have gone to town on drainage around the house. Some part is surely from digging the basement. No sump pump here--but we could that it had not had a leak in 20 years (age of the house) when we inspected it. We do run a dehumidifier in the basement, with oil fired hot water (and being underground) there is no getting around that. Small cost. The a/c running upstairs in the summer is doing the same thing, pulling moisture out of the air, to prevent issues.

Put differently: my 1,900 sqft house has a 1,900 sqft basement. Wish they had dug one foot deeper, even still, it's like 8' height. I put in a drop ceiling into my office and yeah, it's like 7' or whatever--I don't care, I sit in my office, and I'm well under 6' tall.

Ping pong table and a space for doing workouts, and still yet more space.
Imagine a ranch house with no garage. A basement is mandatory unless you live spartan.
We always put a nice rec-room in the basement, and I rather watch TV in the basement.
Also, my best bathroom and shower is in the basement.. I am lucky though its 10' tall with a ground level walkout

Basements are always naturally more damp than the rest of the house. I see no advantage to that. Then there's a strong chance years down the road there will be structural issues with the basement. Then there's sewer backup possibilities as well as water infiltration from storm sewer water especially being on the coast. No thank you.
I've had enough basement flooding in my lifetime. No more basements for me. Current house is built on four foot pilings, six steps up to the front door. Give me an attic and a three car garage.

The non basement issue in Florida is costly (St Augustine-PC area)
Three car garage designs in that area are not that attractive. A more attractive side load garage is more expensive
and a bit hard to layout given most lots are 1/4 acre or less.

Move from the east with a 4K sq house with a three-car garage and basement and you really have
7-8K space.
Now downsize to 2000 sq ft and with a two-car garage and no basement you are around 2500 sq. ft.
That requires more than just a downsizing mindset. Florida pricing today dictates you may not have the extra funds
for expansion.

Pleasant looking home, like the windows. Roof looks a bit high, thus $$$.

Like the basement and high ceilings. Recommend a detached garage.

Where’s the second floor? Walk up attic?

You say single story, but the roof is taller than the first floor. Looks way out of proportion. Like someone wearing a top hat.

StovePiper-Unbanded-Black-Leather-TopHat-AmericanHatMakers-Men-STUD.jpg
I think it’s for heat rise and insulation. I see a lot of the homes in TX are done like this.

How much extra is the T-Stud option and does your regular lumber yard carry it? Very intriguing product and I'd go with it my self if I was custom building.
Depends where you are but they will deliver directly to you and do all the calculations for you. Many good videos on this with all the information. Here is one about the product..

Pleasant looking home, like the windows. Roof looks a bit high, thus $$$.

Like the basement and high ceilings. Recommend a detached garage.

Where’s the second floor? Walk up attic?
I always have both an attached and detached garages. You can't sell women on solely a detached garage..lol
Walk up attic... Can be optioned for a second floor.
That said they mostly build two stories but I don't like the looks of those plans

I would go bigger on this house anyway and keep it single story. I'd probably go to 3k sq ft.

What am I missing where anyone would choose a detached garage over an attached garage? A separate, second detached garage absolutely but given the choice attached is always the way to go.

Back