Need opinions on cost to potentially finish a half-built house

Can't tell you about cost but before sheetrock goes up do a major dusting of Boric acid around every inch of the perimeter so it is basically covering the base framing. Also put some under the threshold plates when they're screwed down. Bugs pretty much will not cross Boric acid. Except for spiders. Those demons will still come in. Did that in a Houston suburb and in a couple of decades only saw maybe 3 or 4 roaches in the house where most houses have 3-4 a month coming in. Good luck.

I'm about to add on to/remodel a house and the cost to add on a new master suite, take in an existing porch and update whole house (new roof/siding as well) to include all new kitchen is nearly 200k.. House going from 1800sqft to 2700.

$300k including the house and yard.
Add more if you want Italian tile floors, marble countertops, copper sinks etc.

Last edited:
The only real way to tell is to ask the builder how much it would cost for them to finish the project, even another builder would likely give you a quote that they can't guarantee. Also ask the builder what is going on and if there is any concern with the design, if there is anything unforeseen and potential risk (how much to mitigate).

Personally I don't like to buy someone's half finished project as there may be rose tinted glasses involved, or they are hiding something instead of finishing it with borrowed money and sell it as finished. If it is such a bargain the experienced folks would buy it and use their own economy of scale / expertises to finish it cheaper than you could.

I'd be sure to have it inspected as it could have a grave error not meeting local or state code. A friend of mine built a commercial building with block and the building inspector didn't see the rebar in the block as it was laid. Big mistake. He had to put random holes in the block to satisfy the building inspector.

View attachment 158510View attachment 158511

Greetings and Happy Memorial Day,
We are thinking about putting an offer on this house and property. My question is, what do you all think it would take to finish out this house?

Facts -
1 story
4 bed, 3 bath
2500 sq feet
Foundation and framing are complete
Rough plumbing is complete
Windows and doors installed, minus garage doors
Septic and well are installed

And that's it. No electrical or interior anything.

What do you think is a ballpark estimate to finish this? Including the grading and paving of yard and driveway. I thought maybe around 100k, do you think it could be closer to 200k? Assume regular grade materials inside and nothing weird or fancy.

I welcome all opinions.
Thanks
Pete
if you aren't in the building business, best bet is to stay away from it.. I live in SWFLA, my extended family is in the home construction business( mostly in Marion County now ) and I know they would not touch it unless they got it for the price of the land and nothing else. FWIW there are two houses on my street that the builders stopped working on, One of them is unoccupied and it construction started on it in 2010... there is another one on my street that one bonehead started building5 year ago ( I met him a couple times, more I talked to him the more I knew he didn't know the difference between his butt and a hole in the ground) and it has since changed hands a couple time and still isn't finished so its worth saying if you aren't involved in the business you have no idea what sort of mess legal and otherwise is involved in this sort of thing. It probably has liens on it from previous people who did some work and didn't get paid, it probably has cloudy title too.. I wouldn't touch it.. the Floriduh building business is full of con artists and knuckleheads who are in over their heads, don't join them.

Last edited:
Did they pour concrete all over the plumbing? That scares me. My house has a crawl space under the floors and the pipes are exposed.
most Floriduh houses have the plumbing in the slab.. not too many have crawl spaces anymore.

We are thinking about putting an offer on this house and property. My question is, what do you all think it would take to finish out this house?

Facts -
1 story
4 bed, 3 bath
2500 sq feet

What do you think is a ballpark estimate to finish this? Including the grading and paving of yard and driveway. I thought maybe around 100k, do you think it could be closer to 200k? Assume regular grade materials inside and nothing weird or fancy.

I welcome all opinions.
Thanks
Pete

Construction costs are local and your choice of cladding, roofing material and internal finishing will be the primary driver so it very well could be $100k, $200k, or $500k.

On an aside I do not like the fact that the garages are not already at grade. You're going to want to maker sure they really pack that soil leading up to them.

Did they pour concrete all over the plumbing? That scares me. My house has a crawl space under the floors and the pipes are exposed.
For the last 30 years or so the vast majority of homes in southern states are built on a slab or full basement. Breaks can occur but it's extremely rare and the slabs don't move.

Crawlspaces are very rare. They almost cost as much as a basement without the utility and the create a lot of problems for homeowners as it relates to humidity, hot/cold floors, etc.

Last edited:
The best bet would be to talk to the original builder and get an estimate and details...
Getting any quality construction workers in Florida these days is tough... Demand is high..
Average New Houses are going for around $200 to $250 a sq. foot and that has a good profit margin figured in.
You will find busy builders not wanting to get involved. Many are still 1 to 2 years out already.
Unless you love that area and can do a bunch of work yourself I would not get involved

Can't tell you about cost but before sheetrock goes up do a major dusting of Boric acid around every inch of the perimeter so it is basically covering the base framing. Also put some under the threshold plates when they're screwed down. Bugs pretty much will not cross Boric acid. Except for spiders. Those demons will still come in. Did that in a Houston suburb and in a couple of decades only saw maybe 3 or 4 roaches in the house where most houses have 3-4 a month coming in. Good luck.
I did that in the last home I had built (in Florida, the bug capital of the U.S.) and the only bugs we ever had were spiders. It also helps stop termites. I just used 20 Mule Team Borax.

I gutted my house down to the wall studs after the flood . Electrical was intact except I replaced all of the receptacles . And one HVAC unit . Insurance paid over $150k . 2600sq ft

Facts -
1 story
4 bed, 3 bath
2500 sq feet

I welcome all opinions.
Thanks
Pete
You must live in NW Florida. I remember seeing that house listed when doing a Trulia search for the Pensacola/Milton area.

Facts -
1 story
4 bed, 3 bath
2500 sq feet

I welcome all opinions.
Thanks
Pete
Is that a cinder block foundation? You gotta get a foundation company out to evaluate the site and the foundation.

If you know who the builder was give them a call and talk about it. They should have the best understanding of where the project ended and how much the rest will cost.

Back