House Plan- Your Thoughts?

Yes, they also cost more to build, and then to paint/repaint, along with Tray ceilings. I'd rather divert the extra $$ for Cathedral and Tray ceilings to a bigger garage. But hey if that's the look a person is after go for it.
I say the same about the name droppers on designer kitchen cabinets and all the nonsense. Give me quality cabinets but not the crazy out of this world stuff.

I will put that saved money in my garage...

Shingles last longer with that steep roof pitch.
They might but can you imagine the cost to replace them. There is way more surface area to cover and roofers charge more for working on a steep roof. The local ones do anyway. I don't like working on a steep roof (my knees and ankles don't like it anymore) and I'd charge a lot more if I had to work on a steep roof.

Good shingles might last 25 years. That's not a long time.

This is a single story plan
On the east coast it has a 10 ft. Basement.
This example is just over 2300 sq. ft which does not count the basement or garage of course.

Do this house appeal to you?
View attachment 173322
Pretty house, not practical. Can have roof like than in snow areas - just trouble. I like the fact that it's not symmetrical. Who uses the front door and main foyer - other than moving furniture or welcoming Jehova's Witnesses?

They might but can you imagine the cost to replace them. There is way more surface area to cover and roofers charge more for working on a steep roof. The local ones do anyway. I don't like working on a steep roof (my knees and ankles don't like it anymore) and I'd charge a lot more if I had to work on a steep roof.

Your HVAC replacements today over 25 years make shingles look cheap.. here we get far longer life on our quality shingles than 25 years.

I'd like to see the houses you guys deem ideal... Would make it a great thread

How about ones that are horrific? The bottom picture is the foundation for this, which was built within the last 2 years:

1692369497279.jpg

1692369515305.jpg

Low slope roofs are way more DIY repair friendly.

you would think that if someone is going to build a new house that big that they would provide better parking and at least a 3 car garage,
That looks like 10 people went together to house themselves on the cheap.
Nothing other. I don't think I ever seen a house as bad as this.
I love the group of windows up top to the right :)

This is a single story plan
On the east coast it has a 10 ft. Basement.
This example is just over 2300 sq. ft which does not count the basement or garage of course.

Do this house appeal to you?
View attachment 173322
Do the roof windows have a purpose? If they were in the attic, they’d just collect bugs and such over the years. Good looking house, but I could do without those.

Do the roof windows have a purpose? If they were in the attic, they’d just collect bugs and such over the years. Good looking house, but I could do without those.
I have worked on many dormers in my time and I'm not a fan. I don't know but I suspect just for looks. I could do without them but I see no harm as they do bring in attic light... I think they are a bit narrow though.
I suspect they are an optional expense too..

Back