I bought a house to rehab that is creaking

We once lived in a house where, at night, it many times sounded exactly like someone was slowly walking the hallway. Both me and my wife heard it. Creepy.

More than once I would get up make sure no one was there. Of course, I made sure I had my loose nightcap on, and a large candlestick holder to beat him with. Just like in the old movies. 😳

Thank goodness for old tight growth ring, rough cut lumber, and tongue and groove 3/4” diagonal sheathing on everything….

I never hear any noises in my house, or the home I grew up in, which my parents still own. That wouldnt bother me that much if the house made noise, but I’d want to shore up and fix what caused it.

Unless something was way undermined, I can’t imagine the foundation has much to do with it. Does everything look straight?

Looks like a finished trowel cut to me. Entirely for looks. Not a true expansion joint.

I’m going to throw out a guess here and say that water that is getting into that cut is freezing and caused the crack in the step. Just a guess.

I am waiting for the results of the attic inspection. It’s possible that this creaking sound is something very simple. I wouldn’t worry about a structural problem until you actually find one.

I don’t think the step crack is anything to worry about. It’s right in line with that line in the slab which is there to control where the crack occurs. Two guarantees with concrete, it’s going to dry and it’s going to crack.

I don’t think the step crack is anything to worry about. It’s right in line with that line in the slab which is there to control where the crack occurs. Two guarantees with concrete, it’s going to dry and it’s going to crack.

I agree. I would get some sealing caulk for concrete cracks and fix that right off.

I hear creaking in our 1959 regularly. I think in our case it is related to temperature changes and not due to foundation issues.
Used to own a house that is now over 90 years old. The front brick vestibule would shift ever so slightly when it got well below freezing. The shift was enough that the door lock didn't quite go into the jam, would have to do some filing of the metal to get it to fit. A little more each winter, but only after it got well below freezing.

We used to tell the owners of these rotten 250 yr old center entrance Capes with their death trap 'captains staircase' that the boss was known for restoring: " That's what gives these old houses their character" :cool:
PS, My house, is a Civil War era New England Farmhouse. It sits on a1/2 acre, in a secluded location. It was 'charming'. Had I been smart, I could have saved a great deal trouble if I had bull dozed it. :cool:

Back