House Plan- Your Thoughts?

I didn't know you could get a home built today for $350k.
There is a bit of smoke and mirrors here... Almost Everyone these days wants a stately looking house...so the tricks used on this smaller house give that curb appeal...but you can tour the inside in a few minutes...but that's what most want..at least they do build them well unlike most which are complete crap...

Just don't get caught by the approach one builder used: a 2 X 4 insulated wall with no sheathing except for the 2" of foam insulation on the outside. He did put a narrow steel strap (maybe 1/2" wide) from corner to corner. I can't imagine that wall (with plastic siding, and 1/2" drywall on the inside) staying rigid and not cracking at the corners of all the openings.

Sounds like Richmond American, circa 1994.

I thought you lived in Virginia?
If you like the above that's fine by me. Whatever works for you

I do live in Virginia, and bay windows, cathedral ceilings, and 2-story foyers are not common in new houses here.

EDIT: I'm not a fan of them either. Bay windows are almost never constructed properly, cathedral ceilings are hard to insulate if they go into the attic space so they're almost never insulated properly, and 2-story foyers are a waste of space.

Shingles last longer with that steep roof pitch. Google French home plans and such roofs are almost always on French home designs. Make sure to have a mud room with two washer and dryer hookups. If you don’t require the granite countertop bragging rights, Formica Ideal Edge is worth a look.

Shingles are pretty much the cheapest form of roof. Go for metal or something else.

Shingles are pretty much the cheapest form of roof. Go for metal or something else.
True.
Many communities don't allow the metal roofs here. The latest metal shingles most likely.
The builders shingles above are the lifetime variety which are very durable as standard. Now the difference between 50 year and lifetime??? Not so sure as I guess it depends on the maker.

Add in the age of the buyer..
When you get a certain age extreme durability no longer means as much or long term energy cost etc...

Same with HVAC systems..
The state of the art most efficient systems will never pay for themselves these days.

New houses here rank right up with the thick vs thin oil threads. I suspect it's actually the haves vs the have nots ..
Too bad it has to be like this...

I don't look at it this way as I just find the subject interesting.

They're pretty much out of style. The 80s and 90s are over. They called and asked for their bay windows back, too.
Yes, they also cost more to build, and then to paint/repaint, along with Tray ceilings. I'd rather divert the extra $$ for Cathedral and Tray ceilings to a bigger garage. But hey if that's the look a person is after go for it.

Back