Honest Amsoil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
It does appear to me from looking at recent Amsoil oil formulations that they have reduced their detergent levels from the old levels. So this probably makes them about the same compared to other big name Synthetics like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. My bad...

The reformulation of the grades recommended for Dexos 1 Gen 2 changed from a very large amount of calcium-based detergents to a mix of calcium and magnesium-based. TBN remains the same. Remember that Mg atoms have lower molecular mass than calcium atoms, so for a given same total mass of multiple atoms of each, there will be 66% more Mg atoms than Ca atoms. The ashless part of the metallic detergents are the soap portion that surround contaminants. It is the largely number of them that determines how many contaminants can be surrounded.

I'm old school. Use castol and change it every 6 months regardless for the same cost as amsoil, I personally feel amsoil is a joke compared to Redline, I use Redline gear oils, I use Redline MTL in my Accord for the 5sp manual,

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
I'm old school. Use castol and change it every 6 months regardless for the same cost as amsoil, I personally feel amsoil is a joke compared to Redline, I use Redline gear oils, I use Redline MTL in my Accord for the 5sp manual,

Neither is a joke …

Originally Posted By: JAG
What are your reasons for thinking Amsoil is a joke compared to Red Line?

Amsoil is a PAO redline is a ester, amsoil puts out independent lab testing which they own that lab, if redline can handle 10,000 hp nito power with their shock proof gear oils,I say that proves that their shock oils are the best of the best without a lab test. That's real world testing. Redline 5-30 has a hths of Castrol 0/40, and a noack of 6%. Pretty stout. Now amsoil makes group III oils, I guess they need to make more money bc the SS doesn't sell as much. Redline will never sell their oils to Walmart, amsoil oil filter is identical to RP, same company makes them,

Agree on Amsoil 'tests'. I loved their infamous gear oil test with the affidavit signed by their employee - that was a purported "independent lab" that sales drones were pushing left and right. The sales force is independent of the Co and doesn't represent it. All their knowledge is even below of as needed basis.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Originally Posted By: JAG
What are your reasons for thinking Amsoil is a joke compared to Red Line?

Amsoil is a PAO redline is a ester, amsoil puts out independent lab testing which they own that lab, if redline can handle 10,000 hp nito power with their shock proof gear oils,I say that proves that their shock oils are the best of the best without a lab test. That's real world testing. Redline 5-30 has a hths of Castrol 0/40, and a noack of 6%. Pretty stout. Now amsoil makes group III oils, I guess they need to make more money bc the SS doesn't sell as much. Redline will never sell their oils to Walmart, amsoil oil filter is identical to RP, same company makes them,

Redline is also predominantly PAO. They may use more POE base than AMSOIL does, but their oils are certainly not entirely POE based.

AMSOIL's Euro 5w-30 has an HTHS of 3.6cP and a NOACK of 7.1%. Redline doesn't hold some monopoly on higher visc 5w-30's. There are other Euro examples as well.

Here's the MSDS for Redline 5w-30:

taken from HERE

That's up to 90% PAO base oil based on this information, from their parent company, CP, as shown here:

taken from HERE

Thanks Bullwinkle007, for answering my question. I figured there must be some misunderstandings about the products. Both brands are really good.
Thanks Overkill, for dishing out the facts.

Mobil 1 or Pennzoil can easily handle that OCI for a lot less money. No need for Amsoil.

Any M1 0W-20 is formulated with significant PAO content and you can get a $12.00 each MIR on two jugs.
This would clearly be the value choice.
If I were going to use Amsoil, I'd personally use SS. Why not use their premium oil?
This will obviously cost you a bit more, but for an annual drain, the cost difference won't be all that significant.
I've personally run SS 0W-20 in our newer Accord, but I got it cheaply from a family selling things off in preparation for a move from OH to MT. This allowed me to scratch an itch at a low cost and I still have enough left for a couple of more runs. Wonder how it's worked out for the family? I've driven across Montana and to move from Columbus to Bozeman would involve major culture shock.

For a once a year thing the price difference is no big deal. People can spend more money on a fancy steak dinner that lasts 2 hours than an oil change that lasts all year.

Right on ZZman, that's exactly how I look at it.

I have switched back to AMSOIL after a few years away, bieng a smaller company I have more confidence in their products as they can't afford to make mistakes and seem to be a well managed company, their three levels (SS, XLand OE) give the consumer great options,I also feel I have a connection with AMSOIL, I know where and how the product is manufactured and the data sheets are always current and updated, since I am committed I also no longer waste time looking around much at other oils, delivery is great too.
TOTO.

Last edited:
Amsoil is great oil but Really With any proper spec oil from a quality blender changed yearly the Tundra will not fail because of the oil. Run the Amsoil It will make you feel better.Trans differentials PS and trafer case if 4 WD all Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Amsoil is great oil but Really With any proper spec oil from a quality blender changed yearly the Tundra will not fail because of the oil. Run the Amsoil It will make you feel better.Trans differentials PS and trafer case if 4 WD all Amsoil.

Give me a break you say AMSOIL engine oil is equal to all others but by some miracle the Transmission, Power Steering and Transfer Case is superior than all others, what did their chemist decide not to try as hard with the motor oil?
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back