Honest Amsoil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: parshisa
It is funny how Amsoil in the subject triggers hot discussions hahaha. So much hate for the oil

Most people don’t enjoy lighting cash on fire.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
It is funny how Amsoil in the subject triggers hot discussions hahaha. So much hate for the oil

For once, I don't really see the hate for Amsoil. I think OP asked an "honest" question and he's getting honest responses both pro and con. The honest answer is that many off the shelf oils will last one year with the kind of mileage he's expecting to put on. However, if he feels the need to pay a the price for what he feels is a premium product, then he should do it.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Agreed...

But at 0.57/mile, just driving to Walmart a few times burns more cash than saving $5 on an oil change...so, all that cash you're "saving" by "shopping" was spent on mileage on your car...not to mention your time spent there. Lighting cash on fire starts when you turn the key in your car, not just at the register...

Also, and this is important, I never walk out of Walmart and think, "Gee, I'm glad I went there"...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Agreed...

But at 0.57/mile, just driving to Walmart a few times burns more cash than saving $5 on an oil change...so, all that cash you're "saving" by "shopping" was spent on mileage on your car...not to mention your time spent there. Lighting cash on fire starts when you turn the key in your car, not just at the register...

Also, and this is important, I never walk out of Walmart and think, "Gee, I'm glad I went there"...

Almost right shopping Walmart online I don't even have to start my vehicle. Oh and they ship for free. The only time I stop in the store is when I'm driving by. They are three blocks off the freeway.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Almost right shopping Walmart online I don't even have to start my vehicle. Oh and they ship for free. The only time I stop in the store is when I'm driving by. They are three blocks off the freeway.

You beat me to it. My X5 requires two jugs so I get the free shipping ($35 minimum I believe).

$25 for 2 jugs of M1 at Wally for me after rebates. it's your money though.

That 1.2 million mile Tundra ran on whatever dealer put in it, btw.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Agreed...

That's what I do and it gets shipped to the house free. I combine it with a rebate and buy at least a one year supply. That keeps me happy and puts a little more cash in my wallet. Win win.

But they do, just on different things....:)

One of the main differences in Amsoil compared to the other oils is a high detergent level of the oils. If engine cleanliness is important to you than it is a good reason to pay more.

For a once a year thing the price difference is no big deal. People can spend more money on a fancy steak dinner that lasts 2 hours than an oil change that lasts all year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
One of the main differences in Amsoil compared to the other oils is a high detergent level of the oils. If engine cleanliness is important to you than it is a good reason to pay more.

What is the detergent? Can I compare levels in a VOA?

Calcium or Magnesium are detergents. Yes you can see the levels on VOA or UOA.

Last edited:
It does appear to me from looking at recent Amsoil oil formulations that they have reduced their detergent levels from the old levels. So this probably makes them about the same compared to other big name Synthetics like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. My bad...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

No you can't. I think you know that.

Read about "ashless detergents". Mola just had a question and answer about this.

Signature Series:
TBN: 12.5
Ester content: significant amount...virgin oxidation indicates that
MoDTC: ~ 350 PPM
Volatility: very low, even less than Red Line in some viscosity grades
Ashless additives: undetectable in UOAs/VOAs, but expect significant differences from the majors’ offerings

Would it be worth? My opinion, yes. Amsoil is great oil and the annual cost is less than what most will spend on oil changes. I have only used 2 brands of ol In the vehicles I have owned in the last 20 years. Amsoil and Redline. I used Redline mainly for the high performance cars, trucks and the Harley I own. Vehicles that are extremely hard on oil. Both are expensive oils but I do not put many miles on my vehicles due to having a company car so my oil changes are annually or even longer. I just got me a 2018 Tundra TRD and plan on putting Redline 0w20. I plan on working the truck when I do use it and with the Texas heat, I love the Redline “light 30 weight” characteristics. The engine in the Tundra is a bullet proof engine and has a an oil cooler so it may be overkill to put in “botique” oil in it but it’s MY truck. You will have people who hate Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1 etc. Just pick a proven, solid, great synthetic oil for your truck. The question of being worth it is subjective. I’m sure most of the opinions willl revolve around the cost of the oil vs the miles put on the oil. If that concerns you then do an oil analysis and see if you can go to 18 months with the low miles you accumulate. Now I’m sure I will get, “that’s crazy, no way”. I have a 370Z NSIMO that I only put maybe 3k miles a year. Initially I changed the oil every 12 months. I did an oil sample and the oil was practically new. Extended to 18 months on the next oil change. Still robust oil. Note: When I do drive the car, I drive it far and long enough to get the oil to proper temperature, Also, I recommend the TRD oil filter. From what i have researched, they are made by Champion labs and seem to be the exact filter Amsoil sells.

Last edited:
Thanks for the civil discussion thus far. I honestly see both sides here as there are legitimate arguments either way. I'm sure M1, PP, PUP, Edge, or any of the other major synthetics would work just fine. In fact, I'd be willing to bet a good quality conventional changed every 5k or every 6 months would work as well.

However, I think I'm going to give the SS in 0w20 or 5w20 a shot here. I really like the low NOACK of the 5w20. I'll go ahead and run the Amsoil filter and see what happens. Maybe about 11 months from now I will run a UOA and go from there.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: kschachn

No you can't. I think you know that.
Read about "ashless detergents". Mola just had a question and answer about this.

Fine, you can't. So ZZman's statement that it is a "main difference" may well be true but it cannot be substantiated. I wonder where he got the idea then?

Amsoil doesn't even say that on their website, at least not where I can find it. Is it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back