Hondas, Toyotas and the brainwashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody talking about "world class" vehicles go to Europe and try finding a Camry or an Accord. The two best selling mid size sedans in US are pretty much nowhere to be found in other parts of the world, just like pickups. Such "world class" vehicles lol.

Facts is that if it weren't for the US market, there would be no Toyota or Honda. And the "global" economy is only being blindly repeated here by people who obviously have no idea what it really means. You will not find Japan, Korea or China so willingly accepting foreign manufacturers or giving them tax breaks to open up factories with little strings attached.
It is a one way street, we have to accept these brands in the name of the global economy, while their home markets are sheltered from US goods. Give me a break.

The latest addition is government money, but if Japanese brands take money from their home governments, it's fine because we don't live there. There is no logical discussion with that kind of thinking.

Not many of those two sold in Korea either … yet (ironically) some of the countries I have historically seen buy Toyota are buying more Hyundai/Kia autos …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Chevrolet Impala
Kia Sportage
Honda Pilot
Chevrolet Tahoe
Chrysler Pacifica
Ford F-150
Toyota Prius
Porsche 718
Audi A4
Mercedes-Benz GLC

Last edited:
Ben99GTThe 10R and 10L are world-class RWD transmissions. How far do we take this? Arguments can be made for far more products as well. [/quote said:
Hey! Welcome back stranger.

I wish only to add that the 10 speed is a joint development with GM.

And apparently very few understand Halo cars very well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Facts is that if it weren't for the US market, there would be no Toyota or Honda. And the "global" economy is only being blindly repeated here by people who obviously have no idea what it really means. You will not find Japan, Korea or China so willingly accepting foreign manufacturers or giving them tax breaks to open up factories with little strings attached.
It is a one way street, we have to accept these brands in the name of the global economy, while their home markets are sheltered from US goods. Give me a break.

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The 10R and 10L are world-class RWD transmissions.

How far do we take this?
Arguments can be made for far more products as well.

Hey! Welcome back stranger.

I wish only to add that the 10 speed is a joint development with GM.

And apparently very few understand Halo cars very well...

How's it going, Steve.

Yeah, the 10-speed is a JV between Ford and GM.
Ford was engineering lead the 10-speed RWD trans, GM was lead on the 9-speed transaxle in return.

My Challenger was made in Canada so I'm helping you guys out a little up in the great north country. Canada is a good trading partner to the USA as your economy has similar wages, standard of living, etc. Other countries abuse their labor and that's what I take issue with.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My Challenger was made in Canada so I'm helping you guys out a little up in the great north country. Canada is a good trading partner to the USA as your economy has similar wages, standard of living, etc. Other countries abuse their labor and that's what I take issue with.
thumbsup2.gif

We are your biggest trading partner and have fair/balanced trade regardless of what CERTAIN folks "in charge" might think.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
And the one before him … sad to watch every 4 years but the private sector marched on and makes it work …

Most people can make the distinction between cars and toys.
I would have credited you with being able to do that, but I've been wrong before.

Would be nice if you bought from the home team.

The home team left here. (More than once.)

Ford closed up the Hazelwood plant and no longer builds cars in St. Louis.
Chrysler closed up the Fenton plant and no longer makes trucks and minivans in St. Louis.

(And the Rams left too!)

Doesn't seem to me that they have any loyalty. Dodge/RAM trucks are built in Mexico. Why not in St Louis?

Most of my "Japanese" cars have been built in the US. Camry in Kentucky. Also Kentucky for my Sienna, IIRC. My Geo Prizm (Corolla with a Geo badge) in California. Same with my Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix)

My Nissan was built in TN.

My Corolla may have been built in Canada let me check the VIN, nope, US, it's a "1" VIN.

Now my "American" Grand Marquis was built in Canada.

And I do currently have two J VIN cars. My 2012 Mazda3 and my 2017 Rav4 came from Japan.

But most of my cars have been built here in North America. Even the "Japanese" cars.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Most people can make the distinction between cars and toys.
I would have credited you with being able to do that, but I've been wrong before.

I have no problem making that distinction and I think I made it abundantly clear that I'm aware that these are halo cars. You however, didn't include that qualifier in the statement I replied to, which is why I've continued this little bout of banter with you. Whether you felt it was implied or not, it was not explicitly stated, and as such, those examples, despite perhaps being insignificant outliers in your mind, were fair game
wink.gif

I've had at least 20 GM/Chrysler vehicles, all but 2 were built in the US. One was from Canada and the other from Germany, most were from Ohio or Michigan. All have given excellent service, I've never had a powertrain issue with any of them.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've had at least 20 GM/Chrysler vehicles, all but 2 were built in the US. One was from Canada and the other from Germany, most were from Ohio or Michigan. All have given excellent service, I've never had a powertrain issue with any of them.

What models, what problems if any, and how many miles? Model by model there are reliable and non-reliable units.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Would be nice if you bought from the home team.

The home team left here. (More than once.)

Ford closed up the Hazelwood plant and no longer builds cars in St. Louis.
Chrysler closed up the Fenton plant and no longer makes trucks and minivans in St. Louis.

(And the Rams left too!)

Doesn't seem to me that they have any loyalty. Dodge/RAM trucks are built in Mexico. Why not in St Louis?

Most of my "Japanese" cars have been built in the US. Camry in Kentucky. Also Kentucky for my Sienna, IIRC. My Geo Prizm (Corolla with a Geo badge) in California. Same with my Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix)

My Nissan was built in TN.

My Corolla may have been built in Canada let me check the VIN, nope, US, it's a "1" VIN.

Now my "American" Grand Marquis was built in Canada.

And I do currently have two J VIN cars. My 2012 Mazda3 and my 2017 Rav4 came from Japan.

But most of my cars have been built here in North America. Even the "Japanese" cars.

Java, we've had this discussion before, but I wonder how much of these domestic parts are made in foreign countries due the the "global" race to the bottom trade policies. It's all an effort to produce in either slave wage countries or the low wage South. Sooner or later all anyone will be able to afford is the cheapest of the cheap if even that.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I guess you missed this...
33.gif

No, didn't miss that. Honda had plenty of transmission and other issues for years (Accord, Odyssey, Acura). And yet they were glossed over. They had/have issues with VCM (v6) and that's also glossed over.

Toyota's volume units had sludge-o-matic engines and yet that was/is OK. I think they may have had trans issues too.

But if a domestic has an trim piece fall of it's a POS.

Now the idiot that keeps putting the POS DCT 6 speed in the Focus and Fiesta should be shot. It ruins an otherwise excellent vehicle.

It's quite simple: just check for the large-bore Kool-Aid IV. My sister has a similar thing...despite two dissolving Civics, one money-pit Accord, and her Element needing a steering rack(!) before 75K miles, she thinks Honda can do no wrong.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's a global economy, you can try and make it "Domestic" in your mind but nothing is sovereign any longer when it comes to automotive.

Unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Anybody talking about "world class" vehicles go to Europe and try finding a Camry or an Accord. The two best selling mid size sedans in US are pretty much nowhere to be found in other parts of the world, just like pickups. Such "world class" vehicles lol.

But Corollas, Civics, Yarises, and Fits are common enough. Also...I recall the North American Camry and Accord were US/Canada only for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back