Honda or Toyota more reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this forum I hear a lot about how Honda and Toyota are more reliable than other brands. So my question is, of these two, which is more reliable, Toyota or Honda?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many aspects to reliability. If you just look at MTBF it won’t tell you much.

As an example, what counts most for me is whether the car is prone to sudden defects that would leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere or in the emergency lane during your commute. Defects that develop gradually and with warning signs I can deal with. Also the expense involve in fixing is important.

Look in the emergency lane for cars with flashing lights and open hood. You will very rarely if ever see Toyota or Honda. From this pov I would concurr with PimTac, they’re the same.

They have the potential to be the same - It comes down to the specific model and maintenance of it.

Hondas are typically (but not always) more expensive than Toyotas to maintain in that -

1. Honda has(or had) more models with belt driven cams that need changing
2. Hondas Belt driven models have a higher % of interference engine type so ignoring the change interval can have dire consequences
3. Honda more often has mechanically adjusted valve followers/tappets/forks that are almost always totally ignored

UD

Not every Toyota has the same reliability across the board across models and the same can be said about Honda or any other auto maker.
I think Honda and Toyota reliability reached a plateau in some regards. Does anyone really think a 2018 turbocharged, CVT equipped Honda Civic will provide the same long term reliability like the 98' Civics did?

I sat in a Corolla S the other day that's the same year as my Accord,and the build quality of my Accord is superior.

They are both top notch as far as reliability goes. Both companies generally produce very reliable vehicles. That being said every company has produced a dud here and there. It’s much more effective to compare specific model, year, etc. to one another than a brand as a whole.

My sister has a 4cyl Camry (a 2002 I think) and we just took it for a long road trip and it's smooth and rock solid! Has 198,000 miles on it. Never been repaired for anything. One of the smoothest quietest engines I've ever heard. Always used PYB 5W30 since brand new
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
..........I hear a lot about how Honda and Toyota are more reliable than other brands.

A rumor that held a lot of truth in the late 70's and all through the 80's and 90's.

Nowadays.....

I see just as many Ford and GM products with 300,000 miles on them as I do Hondas and Toyotas.
I see a LOT of F150's and F250's around here with 400,000+

You can thank ISO 9001 (and or other quality management systems) for that.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I sat in a Corolla S the other day that's the same year as my Accord,and the build quality of my Accord is superior.

I would hope so, back in 2012 a Corolla S had a starting msrp of $10,000 lower than an Accord EX-L($17,995 versus $27,500).

That is likely a true statement but how much more does the Accord cost. In 2004 when I bought my Corolla S new the Accord was over 4K more.

The Corolla S is a sweet looking car though! I like the size of it. My Accord feels HUGE! I'd love to have a fully loaded bright red one.

My sister has a 4cyl Camry (a 2002 I think) and we just took it for a long road trip and it's smooth and rock solid! Has 198,000 miles on it. Never been repaired for anything. One of the smoothest quietest engines I've ever heard. Always used PYB 5W30 since brand new
laugh.gif

M1 would be better ask Tig !
grin.gif

The Corolla S is a sweet looking car though! I like the size of it. My Accord feels HUGE!

The Corolla S compares to the Civic.

Originally Posted By: CT8
laugh.gif

M1 would be better ask Tig !
grin.gif

Haha
laugh.gif

M1 vs PYB
23.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
They are the same. Reliability has a lot to do with how the owner treats and maintains the vehicle.
I actually disagree. A lot of stuff that goes wrong with cars happens whether or not someone takes care of it. The DSG transmission issues I had with my VW, the countless leaks on FCA vehicles in my family, the failing A/C and instrument cluster in my aunt’s 2013 VW Beetle, all of these had nothing to do with maintenance.

Things just happen.

I would compare within the same class i.e. compact with compact and mid-size with mid-size.

This being said, I would say that they have different house handling style, with T being more forgiving and gradual in response to driver’s input; while H is more prompt and abrupt. This makes H more fun for me, but surprisingly Mrs. Nap has the same taste.

I think both makes have very good engineering and reliability. I've had Toyotas and Hondas and think the Toyotas had fewer problems. The 04 Camry I have now has had one component fail but that one failure cost over $675 with towing for forty three miles figured in. When components on the newer vehicles fail, it's usually bit $$. Over $450 for a throttle pedal.Bah Humbug
cry.gif

IME across 46+ years of driving almost any car can be called reliable. We once had a 1969 impala purchased new, 327 2bbl, 4 door, it ran for decades foe all kinds of family members. Then it sat on the side of my Grandma's house for 5 years before my Dad said I was supposed to take it. 4 flat tires, a dead battery, and some transmission fluid later it was on the road to my home for duty hauling my young family of three everywhere! Long road trips and grocery runs, the beach and vacations. It developed a rod knock when cold and the three speed TH350 trans was a two speed for the first 2 miles or so! Then third would magically appear. But it NEVER stranded us and always started, super cheap and easy repairs and maintenance, too.

Anyway, point is any car can be reliable. Few folks have any real data, just our cute anecdotal experiences as illustrated here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back