Help needed buying a new, or near new SUV

She should test drive a Subaru Forester for it's superior outward visibility being that she'll be driving it when's she's 83.
The best vehicle isn't the most reliable vehicle. You should rear Consumers Reports on the road test score.
Get over the 20 year reliability requirement and Subaru CVT and blown head gasket of yesteryear scaredom. I'd pick the Toyota over the incredibly ugly CR-V.

Honda makes reliable CVT transmissions, but you do have to do drain and fills at 30 K intervals, or 25 K intervals if severe service. I would only use Honda fluid in them.

Subaru vehicles sometimes have reoccurring problems with the AC system. Some people report never having problems with the AC of there Subaru, but if you do have problems with them it seams that there is never a fix it and forget it repair. People who have problems with them report that they break repeatedly like every year, and it is an expensive repair each time. Not a simple cheap repair.

Any thoughts on any other similar sized SUV we might consider bearing in mind, long term reliability is more important than initial cost?

One thing to look at is a 3-4 year old used Lexus vs new Honda/Toyota CUV. Around here I can find a used ‘16 RX350 (most are lease returns) for about a new CR-V EX price. You can probably get a NX cheaper. These have reliability on par w/ Toyota but you are taking advantage of the steeper depreciation curve on lux brands. Might be different north of the 49th…

OK, so at this point we are focusing on the RAV 4, sticker price at the local dealer is about 31k and in a brief look around in places like ex-rental car sales we are seeing 2019 car for about 1k less sticker price!
Now I know that a vehicle depreciates as soon as it's sold, so what the heck??
Sure the options might vary, but still!
We are putting of sitting down at a dealer and talking Turkey on a potental purchase until 'we know' what price we should be paying, bottom line, out the door.

We have placed an ad on craigs list As Wanted by a cash buyer, just to see what come up. It seems there are several there wanting out of their lease.

You cannot go wrong with either the RAV4 or CRV. My daughter has a CRV and it has been a very good vehicle for her with absolutely no issues.

You’ll never win mano-a-mano with a dealer, just do everything over email / text as JeffK mentioned earlier. Email other dealers and comp quotes. Tons of write ups on the web on this. It worked for me 17 years ago lol !

Thank you all, great advice!

Just to add, the new vehicle will be a replacement for an 97 GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 V6. Even a base model of anything will have far more features than will ever likely be used (they may even prove confusing ) So we are likely looking base model here.

I will start emailing!

Then you do not want a 2017, or newer Honda CR-V. But a 2016 with the normally aspirated (no turbo-charge) 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder engine with a CVT would be a good vehicle.

the new RAV4s seem to have a lot more problems than just a few years back, check out the RAV4 forums to see what I mean.

I agree with NOT getting a turbo in a cold climate or for short trips.

Despite the many issues I would go with a RAV4 Prime if you are buying STRICTLY brand new due to the tax breaks and better tech.

Both brands have slid in reliability in recent years.

the new RAV4s seem to have a lot more problems than just a few years back, check out the RAV4 forums to see what I mean.

I agree with NOT getting a turbo in a cold climate or for short trips.

Despite the many issues I would go with a RAV4 Prime if you are buying STRICTLY brand new due to the tax breaks and better tech.

Both brands have slid in reliability in recent years.
Turbo and cold climate absolutely do not mix, IMO/IME.

ALso of note, I swung by my dealer the other day, and their used lot was looking very puny. I asked about it and they said they are KILLING IT in sales right now, and there is a legitimate used vehicle shortage. Keep that in mind, as used vehicle prices might be artificially inflated right now in your area.

Turbo and cold climate absolutely do not mix, IMO/IME.

ALso of note, I swung by my dealer the other day, and their used lot was looking very puny. I asked about it and they said they are KILLING IT in sales right now, and there is a legitimate used vehicle shortage. Keep that in mind, as used vehicle prices might be artificially inflated right now in your area.
Why turbo and cold climate do not mix?

Why turbo and cold climate do not mix?

Every modern turbo cakes up plugged full of garbage after a few winters of short drives be it diesel or gas, if you don’t do your own maintenance and clean it out the dealerships will just say it’s failed.

Had 2 VWs a diesel and a gas with similar issues, on the diesel the intake would also plug as strange as that sounds.

Had to tear it open and drill it out.

Every modern turbo cakes up plugged full of garbage after a few winters of short drives be it diesel or gas, if you don’t do your own maintenance and clean it out the dealerships will just say it’s failed.

Had 2 VWs a diesel and a gas with similar issues, on the diesel the intake would also plug as strange as that sounds.

Had to tear it open and drill it out.
LOL. I had numerous turbo engines in very cold climate but one learns something new every day.

LOL. I had numerous turbo engines in very cold climate but one learns something new every day.
As long as they are warmed up properly and driven an adequate distance on the highway there should be fewer issues.

You would be amazed at all the random “turbo” related problems there are in -40 weather driving 5 miles at a time.

Mercedes old turbo 5’s would get headgasket issues are 80,000 miles up here.

As long as they are warmed up properly and driven an adequate distance on the highway there should be fewer issues.

You would be amazed at all the random “turbo” related problems there are in -40 weather driving 5 miles at a time.

Mercedes old turbo 5’s would get headgasket issues are 80,000 miles up here.
I can tell you with great deal of confidence that a. any car will have issue driving up to 5 miles, in -40, and b. that there are places where people drive turbo engines in even colder temperature.

Back