Help me!! Want to Move to ARIZONA / NEW MEXICO-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Michigan then went to Miami (Yuck) now in Phoenix for six years. You get used to the heat plain and simple. It is refreshing to go out on a 115 degree day for awhile its like being in a sauna and the warmth soaks into your bones.

As far as area, housing and crime. You get what u pay for. Middle class is a lot in Tempe and Mesa. To the south chandler and queen creek are a step up. Prices are on the rise as corp America seems to be flooding in.

Find the job you want first and rent for awhile and if you like it stay.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
OP wants to move to the southwest, not northern Ca, southern Va, DFW, or near an ocean. :^(

I agree, why do people get off topic?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Arizona summer is like the oven. Outdoor activities are limited to 9PM to 5AM.

wish everyone from California thought that!
wink.gif

My brother lives in Phoenix for about 30-35 years, he talked me moving there and I tried persuade him moving to Orange County.

I hate the triple digit temperature in summer there and the earthquake here scared him to death(the last time he was here couple years ago we had a very mild earthquake about 4.xx, but it was enough for him to go back to Phoenix the next morning).

So we stay where we are.

Just noticed your location, my daughter just moved back to northern Az from Aliso Viejo in December. Since 2008 she and her husband chased the MMO gaming industry from San Diego to San Fran to Irvine before deciding they had enough. Were renting a 1200 sq ft house on a postage stamp lot in AV for $2100/month, they built a 1600 sq ft on a huge lot, 10 ft ceilings, 2.5 car garage, etc. for under $250K. '

You've got a great state but for a few minor details..

Very interesting thread here. As a native Texan who currently resides just North of Austin, I love traveling out West to the areas mentioned due to the MUCH lower humidity, higher elevation and cooler night-time temps. The heat is much easier to take when it cools off overnight. Here it'll often still be 90°F at 10:30pm during the Summer, the humidity will nearly always be 100% at sunrise. There's only so much you can sweat to cool off. Dry heat is preferable to me.

I also love the food!! Arizona-Mex & NewMex-Mex are quite different from Tx-Mex. It's hotter, more flavor, great chili sauces from scratch.

I was planning on moving to Colo when the economy tanked back in 2000 and there went the offer. Even sold both of my sailboats. Also visited Albuquerque & Northern Arizona. Nice scenery & great food, just need to line up the job.

I love to snow ski and enjoy winter sports as well. Here, people call 70°F a cold front! Ha!

You should go check it out. See if you'll melt. Friends parents made the mistake of coming to Central Tx from northern MI during the Summer!! I asked "What were they thinking??" Big mistake. They did melt. Left after a few days in a ZipLoc bag.....

I'm now ready for a road trip!
57.gif
We need a "road trip" icon! (Just ignore the smoke....)

i'd have agree with AZJEFF, Cottonwood and Rimrock are great areas. maybe Payson. as for CO, Cortez is nice, we had a 180 acer ranch there. i miss Colorado. i've lived all over the Us and always seem to return to Flagstaff.

Fun fact - Mesa (which sucks, btw) has a larger population than the City of Atlanta. Scottsdale, Central Phoenix (east of central and north of Indian School) and Tempe are the places to be.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Fun fact - Mesa (which sucks, btw) has a larger population than the City of Atlanta. Scottsdale, Central Phoenix (east of central and north of Indian School) and Tempe are the places to be.

Why does Mesa suck? I live at Alma School & Guadalupe. Nice area. Some areas aren't the best, but that's how any city is. Fortunately it isn't like 40th St & Southern or Baseline.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why does Mesa suck? I live at Alma School & Guadalupe. Nice area. Some areas aren't the best, but that's how any city is. Fortunately it isn't like 40th St & Southern or Baseline.

I'm not a huge Mesa fan, there are some decent parts but if I am going to live that far out I'd prefer to be in Gilbert or Chandler.

Southern or Baseline? No way! Although that area still pales in comparison to ghettos in other cities.

Just noticed your location, my daughter just moved back to northern Az from Aliso Viejo in December. Since 2008 she and her husband chased the MMO gaming industry from San Diego to San Fran to Irvine before deciding they had enough. Were renting a 1200 sq ft house on a postage stamp lot in AV for $2100/month, they built a 1600 sq ft on a huge lot, 10 ft ceilings, 2.5 car garage, etc. for under $250K. '

You've got a great state but for a few minor details..

The best attribute of So Cal along the beach was and is weather.
For the last 30 or so years we didn't need A/C for more than 2-5 days a year, except the last couple years when we turn on A/C for about 20-25 days a year. Some years we didn't even tun on the fans more than 4-5 days a year, because we didn't have that many days in the 90's.

In the winter we turn on the heater less than 20-50 hours for the whole season. Last winter we use heater for a total less than 10 hours.

Also, this is very difficult to do in winter anywhere but here: we can go snow skiing in the morning on the mountain and go surfing in the ocean in the afternoon.

But we do pay high price for almost anything.

For the last 30 or so years we didn't need A/C for more than 2-5 days a year, except the last couple years when we turn on A/C for about 20-25 days a year. Some years we didn't even tun on the fans more than 4-5 days a year, because we didn't have that many days in the 90's.

In the winter we turn on the heater less than 20-50 hours for the whole season. Last winter we use heater for a total less than 10 hours.

Also, this is very difficult to do in winter anywhere but here: we can go snow skiing in the morning on the mountain and go surfing in the ocean in the afternoon.

San Diego and OC are by far my favorite parts of the country, not only weather but quality of living. There is a reason property is expensive there.

20-25 days a year for A/C?

I turned on the house's A/C in late January/early February at the latest. Been on ever since.

I turned on the house's A/C in late January/early February at the latest. Been on ever since.

It was the last 2 years. Before that I didn't have A/C and I wished I had one for about 2-5 days a year. Some years I didn't care for A/C and I actually turned on 3-4 table fans for less than 5-6 days and about 2-3 hours a day.

For many years we used less electricity in summer than in winter. Longer day in summer so we had lights on for shorter time than winter, we also had Christmas tree with some lights so we used more electricity in winter.

Scottsdale is a nice place to live and I've been in this city for 15 years...coming up on 30 in AZ. It is a long slim city going N to S and has very easy access to freeways which makes getting around and out of town fairly easy. Within a half hour I can be out in the desert, on a trail, and target shooting. Loads of activities going on during the cooler months. I'm biased...I live here!
grin2.gif

Scottsdale is #40 in country and #1 in state: http://www.livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2016?page=3

Another search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...sdale+best+city

The real test, as others have mention, is the heat. June 26, 1990 - 122*F. That is an extremely rare day, but it will get into the 1-teens every year for short periods and then "cool down" to 107-110*F.

Good luck and I'll try to answer any question you have.

It was the last 2 years. Before that I didn't have A/C and I wished I had one for about 2-5 days a year. Some years I didn't care for A/C and I actually turned on 3-4 table fans for less than 5-6 days and about 2-3 hours a day.

For many years we used less electricity in summer than in winter. Longer day in summer so we had lights on for shorter time than winter, we also had Christmas tree with some lights so we used more electricity in winter.

HTSS_TR

I lived in Chino Hills for twenty years-sold my house 4 years ago and made a nice profit. I am in Utah now and there is 3 million people in the state, compared to your almost 40 million in California. I spent most my life fighting the traffic (having driven a million miles on the freeways) for my job in industrial sales. There is only one, and I mean only one thing I miss about So. Cal-and that is good Mexican food. You can have the traffic (which is nearly 24 hours a day) the "culture" of some drivers-who don't know how to drive, the ultra high cost of living. Yes, the beach is nice, and so is the weather-But I am betting on a summers weekend day it takes you at least an hour to drive the short distance you live from the beach. Unless one is making at least (or has the opportunity to make) $150,000/yr. there is no way I would recommend someone moving there.

Last edited:
Quote:

Not much fun when people live in a 1 bedroom apartment because they can't afford a house in California.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote:

Not much fun when people live in a 1 bedroom apartment because they can't afford a house in California.

That's us! We rent a 1br apt rather than be house poor. It allows us to max retirement savings and get to do what we want on the weekends and with our vacation time, without worrying about affording it. No house payment is freedom. I dread the thought of needing a bigger place, b/c then we might have to actually purchase something. For now, we live 'cheap' [compared to a mortgage] and save tons.

No yardwork, house maintenance, etc is actually quite fun. Frees up lots of time and money.

Every person is in a different situation when it comes to where they live. I had my 3-2-2 house paid off when I was 43. It works great for me, it might not work for another person in the same exact age / income level as me.

I simply could not see my money going to pay rent for 20 years with nothing to show for. Now that my house is paid off.... I max out all retirement, brokerage and voluntary pension. Florida has no state income tax thats extra money to invest.

surfstar,
I can PM you the screenshots of ' hypothetical ' rent money invested for 20+ years...

I could never pay long term rent if it only provides me with housing and not equity. In my area, renting is more expensive than buying in several areas so there are definitely some trade-offs depending on circumstances and wishes. If I was younger and made x dollars, I would think of renting for a time but, then again, my folks place wasn't house-poor when it retained its value during the downturn and has since gained over 20% of paper value versus a stock market that will go up and down for a 7-8% historical gain each year over time. I don't doubt that Millennials don't want to "diversify" like that because the areas where you could do that are too expensive to begin with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back