Having to Reboot Cable Modem Everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Do you have a router connected after the Motorola?

The MG7550 is a WiFi modem. 5 Star rated at Amazon. Works perfect until it slows down.

I wonder if somebody has hacked into it using all the bandwidth and then get disconnected on the reboot.

So you're having a different problem than me. I have Time Warner/Spectrum and bought the same modem in July 2016 when they were about to start charging $10/month for modem lease. Since I'm using my own modem, I have to keep their modem (no charge) for the home phone to work. This requires a splitter. For the longest it would disconnect and fail at the upsteam connection in the startup sequence (the up arrow keeps blinking). A technician came out earlier in the year and tested everything, only to find nothing wrong. Figures!

I kept having to reset until about three weeks ago. I wanted to test just having the cable go straight to the modem and it's been working great ever since. I haven't made a trip to the cable office yet to get another splitter but I'm wondering if I should look at getting a signal amplifier.

I had water inside one of my outside cable couplings a few years ago that was causing internet issues. Could be an issue if you're also experiencing pixilation, stuttering on your tv.

Good luck

With respect to the connection comments, Merk, also put in a new grounding block. That was my problem some years ago. The internet company insisted that had nothing to do with it, after several phone calls and service visits. I bought a new grounding block and installed it, and the problem disappeared immediately and permanently.

I had a similar situation recently. Long story short, I eventually figured out that for whatever reason, my upstream power would spike up to 51-52dBmV. Normally when I checked my levels, the upstream power was around 30-35dBmV.

There can be a number of reasons why your upstream power is too high, it's hard to say what's wrong.

What fixed the problem for me was replacing one of my splitters, and it wasn't even a splitter that the cable modem went through. I know it sounds weird/crazy, but it's true. I've heard about signal "ingress", but I don't know much about it. I also noticed after replacing the splitter, my correctables/uncorrectables while never too high, have been rock solid at 0 now.

Long story short, in my opinion if you get that upstream power down, and your disconnects will go away. For me it was just a lot of trial and error. Make sure all connections are tight, try connecting the cable modem directly to the drop, modem to 2 way splitter, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back