Cable modem reboot every 20 mins due to T3 and T4 timeout

Arris / Motorola Surfboard modem. DOCIS 3.0 4x4 but forgot the exact model. It was "grandfathered" then now "not supported" in Xfinity's supported hardware list. This thing works fine for my plan till yesterday morning. It keeps rebooting due to T4 timeout and I see a lot of T3 timeout.

1636478947254.jpg

Based on what I read on the internet (using my wife's iPhone hot spot, company plan) this is likely due to signal problem or hardware going bad. People suggest that I should either check all the loose connection, switch to Comcast modem for 1 month to get them to do a truck roll, or buy another modem to try and see if it fixes the problem.

Anyone here know what else to check for before we start?

Have you tried unplugging it for half an hour. Every few months or so my router acts up, and resets and reboots are not enough. I think the way mine is designed, the caps have to discharge before the internal ram is fully cleared.

It could be a bad power adapter, it could be the modem is just getting old and worn out, or maybe you have a real problem with your cable line, also take into account a major fiber trunk for Comcast was damaged and they are having national issues this morning.

Also there were some specific major outages in the bay area yesterday, so you may just be seeing problems related to that and the national outage today.

1) The modem is old, it was a hand me down and I think it is at least 5-7 years (not 100% sure). I've used it myself for 3-4 years at least.
2) I read the national outage yesterday, but if I understand correctly the T3 / T4 are related to local equipment (i.e. Comcast side edge router or modems), so it may not be related to national outage (not 100% sure)
3) Yes, major South Bay outage yesterday, so it is hard to say whether it is related or not.

How long do you guys think I should wait out before conclude I need to rent Comcast modem for 1 month to check, and whether I should buy a new modem (say from Best Buy or Target) to test it out?

Check all the connections you can access (even if you can get to the outside connection (pedestal ??)). Make sure they're tight and no moisture. Those timeouts are typically on their side, not yours, but I suppose it's not 100%. The pedestal should be locked so you won't be able to access but sometimes they forget to re-secure them. Ours has been unlocked for 6+ years. For a period of time, we had connections issues during/after heavy rain and I was able to "solve" it for them. Ironically, when they saw that I use my own modem, they immediately point the finger at it (and I use a Motorola SB68XX, one of the exact same modems they supply).

time for an upgrade. You will benefit regardless of your speed package. Last time I used a 4x4 modem was around 2010.
T3/T4 is usually a sync issue, but nonspecific. It could be your equipment or the signal. Best to rule out what you can.

How long do you guys think I should wait out before conclude I need to rent Comcast modem for 1 month to check, and whether I should buy a new modem (say from Best Buy or Target) to test it out?
As I mentioned in my post above, if you use your own modem, they'll blame it. Everytime. Use their modem until you get this resolved.

Yeah we did just get a rainstorm (although it is mostly wind but not much rain). I'll check all connection then switch to their modem to get them to do a truck roll if anything. However afterward I'm sure I'll not be able to use my old modem because it is no longer grandfathered, will need to buy a new modem afterward.

Another thing the cable companies won't tell you is that they are continully cutting back on signal strength. They cut back and wait to see who complains.
They do this in order to cut down on spurious radiation as much as possible. Seems it interferes with some other kinds of communications.
I think the tech said it was a gov't mandate too.
They can install a local amp if you can't get a steady sig.

I think I seen someone with an SB6141 once where replacing the power adapter helped after it started acting wonky, I'm sure you've got plenty of spare 12V adapters laying around you could try and see if it improves.

Another thing the cable companies won't tell you is that they are continully cutting back on signal strength. They cut back and wait to see who complains.
They do this in order to cut down on spurious radiation as much as possible. Seems it interferes with some other kinds of communications.
I think the tech said it was a gov't mandate too.
They can install a local amp if you can't get a steady sig.
Cable equipment tends to have automatic gain control, it automatically adjusts the amplification based on temperature or based on the input level on downstream amps, sometimes they may do additional manual adjustments, but there's no conspiracy where they're turning down levels until people complain, people now may be seeing lower more consistent levels than in the past because they've been cutting down how deep they run amps or even going all the way down to Node+0 in some locations. Cable systems have to be very tight and if the signal can get out to interfere strong locally generated signals like LTE and 5G could get in and wreak havoc, also they're really maxing out the low split return anymore and they try to keep stuff super tight because the return path 5-42mhz is really kind of a bunch of garbage full of interference from ham radio and stuff and it's harder to keep out.

Check the interface for signal strength when you have the timeouts. If it's lower than -13db or so you have a bad enough connection to cause this, and is what I'd suspect first, that seasonal temperature drops are causing an intermittent connection.

As I mentioned in my post above, if you use your own modem, they'll blame it. Everytime. Use their modem until you get this resolved.
Blame game isn't always necessary. A field tech can hook their scanner-whatever up and measure signal strength at the site junction box to determine if the issue is before or after that point in the network... though the problem has to occur while they're there, otherwise it's just redoing as many connections as they can that they are responsible for, which means considering if the customer is liable for any site work within the premises, past that exterior junction box.

Cable equipment tends to have automatic gain control, it automatically adjusts the amplification based on temperature or based on the input level on downstream amps, sometimes they may do additional manual adjustments, but there's no conspiracy where they're turning down levels until people complain, people now may be seeing lower more consistent levels than in the past because they've been cutting down how deep they run amps or even going all the way down to Node+0 in some locations.
I guess the tech was just trying to placate me then. He Installed an older style modem and the local amp and never had an issue after that.

Check the interface for signal strength when you have the timeouts. If it's lower than -13db or so you have a bad enough connection to cause this, and is what I'd suspect first, that seasonal temperature drops are causing an intermittent connection.
I remember it is about -14dB, at work right now so I can't check real time, but it is around that number. Will check with another 12V power supply and see what's going on. Maybe wind blew out a cover somewhere and water get in.

That's not good. Generally good numbers are:
downstream signal level between -10 and +10, 0 to 5 is ideal
downstream SNR in high 30s, more is better.
upstream power in low 40s, less is better.

Back