Having to Reboot Cable Modem Everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Call Comcast and they will do a remote diagnosis. Even if they don't find anything-I'm sure you will be able to exchange the modem if you wish.

Comcast as a general rule has good tech support-they can actually "look" at your modem.

Much better than trying to find answers here.

[censored] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
several comcast foreign sounding phone reps "tested my modem< remotely , said I had a strong in house signal/

after my more complaining they sent a rep TO MY HOUSE and found NO SIGNAL at the side of the house where the cable enters, they replaced a bad cable to the street

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I wonder if somebody has hacked into it using all the bandwidth and then get disconnected on the reboot.

Unlikely. My gut feeling is some parts inside (i.e. capacitors) is deteriorated and causes signaling issues. A reboot restart the feedback and makes it normal, until the signals deteriorate again.

If you have an old router try to use that for wifi, and see if it improves. Then you can tell if it is the "router" part or the "modem" part that went bad.

Do you have splitter(s) before the modem? They can degrade the signal and cause drops. Cable modems like a clean input to run properly.

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Modem getting clogged up with alien spaceship signals while I'm asleep ?

Precisely!
50.gif

merk -- you KNOW that you have to wear your foil hat while you sleep. so, this issue is your fault.
have a good day.

Correction:
It's not his hat
It's his good thoughts Antenna!

Comcast is sending a technician out Saturday to service the modem. I don't know how they can possibly service a modem, but that's what they said.
21.gif

I would insist on not having a 1 piece modem/router. Cox tried to get us to have one like that and I refused. I have a much better Arris modem and Netgear Nighthawk router that give me very few issues.

Try typing http://192.168.100.1/ in your address bar and get into the menu and see what signal levels are and errors. Usually most ISP's will push firmware updates to you as needed. Only time I ever reboot is when storms are around and I power down and remove coax. That's not very often.

Last edited:
Make sure you're using a high-quality RG6 cable from your wallplate to the modem. Not RG59, not some thin low-profile cable, not anything with push-on adapters. And make sure the screw-on connectors are snug, not finger tight.

Instead of all this guessing log into the modem and check the signal levels

usually the ip is 192.168.100.1

it will give you a bunch of numbers.. take a screenshot and post it here and we will decipher it for you

page should look similar to this. make sure you include both the upstream and downstream numbers.

Comcast guy was just here. He said there's nothing wrong with the modem. He said they have some dead frequencies up on the pole. He said he submitted a ticket and they're coming back on Wednesday.
confused2.gif

Not an expert but that looks like it might wiring issues or on their end. What kind of in house wiring do you have? Does it go through any splitters?.. how many feet of wiring? What kind of connectors?

Your downstream looks like cap with an r in it. Here's mine, a 30Mbps down/3Mbps up. I used to be able to get a straight 1-16 channel ID, but there are some unusable bands nowadays. Nothing like yours, poor to very poor S/N (but the thing still uses them!). Your upstream power is very high. Yeah, you have a problem.

I own the modem; I don't lease nor purchase from Charter.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Yeah, you have a problem.

Yes, SNR in the low 30s, uncorrectable errors, and uplink power at 57 all point to signal loss. Is the cable a "home run" from the modem to the street?

Like you would do with a phone, bypass all the stuff in the house and connect the modem to the first opportunity you have where it comes from the street. If the signal is still bad there, call the company.

Comcast guy was just here. He said there's nothing wrong with the modem. He said they have some dead frequencies up on the pole. He said he submitted a ticket and they're coming back on Wednesday.
confused2.gif

Would be interesting to see your status page after they go up the pole and fix what they think is wrong. May be a poor connection there.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Do you have splitter(s) before the modem? They can degrade the signal and cause drops. Cable modems like a clean input to run properly.

When I had trouble with my cable internet I replaced my splitter and it solved the problem. If you have a F-Splice Adapter you can bypass the splitter to see if your connection works right again.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Try typing http://192.168.100.1/ in your address bar and get into the menu and see what signal levels are and errors. Usually most ISP's will push firmware updates to you as needed. Only time I ever reboot is when storms are around and I power down and remove coax. That's not very often.

Stupid question, can that be done through a router or does it have to be done connected directly?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Lubener

Stupid question, can that be done through a router or does it have to be done connected directly?

It depends on the router. Some you can, some you can't. Was the same way with my old DSL modems, which had a nice GUI that could be accessed if you knew the IP. I'd put in a static route for them in my IOS-based units and could access the pages.

If your modem is "bridging" the Internet through to the router, so you get a public IP address direct from the cable system to the router, you will need to have a separate route to the modem's private IP configuration page. On the other hand, if the modem is also routing internally so you get a private IP address to the router, you can go directly to the modem's administration page.

Modems with one Ethernet port and nothing else usually are set up in the former mode by default, because they expect you to have a separate router. Modems with multiple Ethernet ports and Wi-Fi built in will operate in the latter mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back