Have you had moon roof issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried ours after reading this thread and another one and my wife telling me it squeaked on her yesterday when she went to use it.

I also noticed this and it's quite pronounced. I/we did try it when we bought back in November but that was likely the last time. It squeaks about 1/2 to 3/4's the way back/open and squeaks in the same spot when it's closing.

This is the first ever vehicle with one so I know absolutely nothing about them but could it possibly be just dirt/crud up in there on the track or something else? Also, what sort of mtce do these require? The car is 2017 with around 24,000 kms on it. We purchased it used with around 20,000 kms on it.

I would appreciate any info about this issue and what all I need to do as far as mtce goes.

Thanks.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
I just tried ours after reading this thread and another one and my wife telling me it squeaked on her yesterday when she went to use it.

I also noticed this and it's quite pronounced. I/we did try it when we bought back in November but that was likely the last time. It squeaks about 1/2 to 3/4's the way back/open and squeaks in the same spot when it's closing.

This is the first ever vehicle with one so I know absolutely nothing about them but could it possibly be just dirt/crud up in there on the track or something else? Also, what sort of mtce do these require? The car is 2017 with around 24,000 kms on it. We purchased it used with around 20,000 kms on it.

I would appreciate any info about this issue and what all I need to do as far as mtce goes.

Thanks.
11.gif

The owners manual probably tells you how to lubricate it, and the intervals. I'd do that and if it still squeaks, you still have a warranty, right?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Thanks.
11.gif

The owners manual probably tells you how to lubricate it, and the intervals. I'd do that and if it still squeaks, you still have a warranty, right?

There isn't a lot of info there but like it reads here, hopefully it is just dirt/debris?

Dirt and debris may collect on the
sunroof seal or in the track. This
could cause an issue with sunroof
operation or noise. It could also plug
the water drainage system.
Periodically open the sunroof and
remove any obstacles or loose
debris. Wipe the sunroof seal and
roof sealing area using a clean
cloth, mild soap, and water. Do not
remove grease from the sunroof.
If water is seen dripping into the
water drainage system, this is
normal

I'll have a look tomorrow and report back what I find and hopefully its good news.

Thanks.
11.gif

The bracket bolts on the Volvo in my signature like to loosen up. Common issues with these I guess, but I am not sure if other cars have this problem or not. It starts with a knock as you go over bumps then eventually sounds like it's going to get ripped off when a semi passes you on the interstate. I'm planning on adding some blue loctite to end this issue once and for all.

Another issue people have is the drain holes and lines plugging up, but I imagine it's because they park under a tree. I make an effort to keep the areas clean once or twice a year. Mainly just dust and grease from the brackets.

They aren't maintenance free by any means, but IMO not worth avoiding either.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Thanks.
11.gif

There isn't a lot of info there but like it reads here, hopefully it is just dirt/debris?

Dirt and debris may collect on the
sunroof seal or in the track. This
could cause an issue with sunroof
operation or noise. It could also plug
the water drainage system.
Periodically open the sunroof and
remove any obstacles or loose
debris. Wipe the sunroof seal and
roof sealing area using a clean
cloth, mild soap, and water. Do not
remove grease from the sunroof.
If water is seen dripping into the
water drainage system, this is
normal

I'll have a look tomorrow and report back what I find and hopefully its good news.

Thanks.
11.gif

I tried a few times today but I could not make it squeak like it did yesterday. Must have just been a piece of dirt/crud on the track or something similar?
Everything looked good up there. Lots of grease remaining from the factory and overall, things were pretty clean.

I've got panorama moonroofs in both Mercedes. Don't really use it that often but they're bigger than the regular sunroof. Mercedes has a schedule where they're supposed to clean and grease moonroof rails every 2 years as part of their standard service B. I just bought the grease online for $10 and do it myself. I never really use it anyway. Last few used cars I bought had it as an option. Never really had much problem with them.

Yes, on my now sold =04 Hyundai Elantra sedan. a kind off base car.

I haven't used it much (noisy, too sunny) and at the end, after 7 years ownership (10 years manufact. date) it started not to work (electrical issues).

I do not have it on any of the current cars....

I've only had two vehicles with sunroofs over the years and they were in cars I had bought used. I don't buy new cars with them and really don't like them much.

The first car that I had with one was an 80's model Honda civic that had the sunroof siliconed up. I thought it would be neat to have it working so I took all of the silicone out, lubed the seals, cleaned out the drains and could never get it to quit leaking. I then siliconed it back up and left it.

The second car was a 2004 Monte Carlo SS. This one did not leak but had some electrical issues where it would only partially open or close and you would have to keep hitting the switch to finally get it to fully open or close. I had fully cleaned and re-lubricated the rails but that didn't help. I didn't use it much so I just left it alone most of the time I owned it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My Focus is my only sun roof so far and its worked fine, seals up, and that car isn't particularly put together well. If you never use it I doubt it would ever leak.

I think your car may be the unicorn I've searched for for a long time. If you tell me it has leather seats I'm going to need to see pictures to believe it. I've always wondered if such combination exists: 1st Generation Focus Wagon with 5-speed, moonroof and leather.

Regarding the topic, I've never had moonroof issues but I haven't had a lot of cars with them, either, much to my dismay. I'm going to make it a requirement on my next car.

All the dislike for them on this forum doesn't surprise me too much. I know there are a lot of folks on here that get grumpy about power windows and any optional equipment in general.

A few years back, drainage channels on my 530i's sunroof got clogged up and water was getting inside. I had that cleaned. Last year, the tilt mechanism failed, so I basically stopped using the sunroof. Fixing it would be fairly expensive, so I am not even going to bother on such an old and low value car.

My next car will have solid roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back