Have you had moon roof issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 way metal panel on E -28s was "gudentight" as long as the drains were kept open. Nice feature, but they took 2" of headroom.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
O and anything with a "panoramic moonroof" or a "glass roof" stay away.

I've had a couple of panorama sunroofs and regular sunroofs in the past. Never had an issue with the regular one, but then I hardly ever used it.

The panorama sunroofs are fun but they do have their share of issues. They do make noise because the body flexes more and the motors are known to go. They also require maintenance, you do have to lube them up every couple of years but that's the same of regular sunroofs too.

I also don't worry about the moonroof or panoramas sunroof breaking because the glass is covered under comprehensive insurance although the mechanism and tracks are not.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I’ve never had a factory sunroof leak. I’ve owned three vehicles with them.

Same here. I wouldn't be letting a sunroof put me off buying a particular car.

To make a moon roof mechanism and seal last, never open them up if your car is dirty. Only enjoy that moon if you car is clean.

I had a 2004 VW Beetle with a sunroof. One time I opened it and it wouldn't close afterwards. It would get most of the way but then open again. Took like 15 tries to get it closed. A couple years later I opened it a couple times and it was fine but I didn't use it much.

I hate sunroofs. Too bright, too much noise, not enough headroom

I enjoy permanently sealing sunroofs with windshield adhesive and pulling the fuse out. Now it's "fixed". Option 2 is taking the whole thing out and installing race car vents in its place.

Useless. I must be the one who has the problems. Hyundai, broke. Toyota Camry, broke. Always opening and closing issues.. something broke in my BMW a couple years ago now it rattles. I try to never get one. Take up head room too.

Last edited:
I think they are (or can be) fine, but they are a "warm weather" option. By that I mean that if you live somewhere that experiences below freezing winter weather, you might have problems with leaks.

I know of a few people who have had problems with them (Volkswagen Golf, some other North American vehicles).

Another factor to consider is indoor storage, that will probably make it OK for northern climates, but if you park outdoors and live with winter, I'd avoid them whenever possible. It's not just the drains ... you can burn out motors or mechanisms if you try to open them when there is frozen water in there somewhere, and even in cold weather the top of the vehicle tends to melt, then freeze when you shut down. Replacement and repair is expensive.

The other thing is, do you actually want a sunroof? Some people don't use them or see the value, and it's not an inexpensive option (even if it's included). The issue will come up if you are buying new with premium trims, where it's a default that you can't avoid. You might be able to option the car out as you like by choosing a lower tier model, and that might mean higher cost since packages tend to offer at least some savings, but automakers tend to reserve certain interior trims, leather upholstery, etc for only higher tiers. I guess you will have to decide which way to go there.

Unrelated, somewhat, but the same issue arises if you don't want nanny options like automatic braking, although that is / will change shortly where you won't have a choice due to regulatory requirements.

Never had the first leak out of any of the 2 cars in my signature with them (the 2003 and 2008) and I use them when the weather is nice.

From a statistical standpoint, if the car is garaged every night, and/or parked in an parking garage or underground parking space while at work, it probably is going to stay intact a lot longer. I have 10 years on my Chev Suburban sunroof with no problems ( parked in garage at night].

Never from a factory sun/moonroof. My wifes '01 RX300 never leaked in the 15 years we owned it and still doesn't. Sold it to her sister who is still driving it.

However, I have had some mild water leaks/drips from vehicles years ago. For example, I installed a pop up sunroof in an '84 Turismo Hatchback(when it was new) and it started to drip water years later but, I fixed it. And the FORMULA in my signature dripped(when new) during a left turn while raining. Again, I fixed it too.

I'm happy with mine in the G37. But, it spends a lot of time indoors, so perhaps things don't get sunbeaten or caked in ice as much as could otherwise happen. The Audi's sunroof was a nightmare. It would only work when it was cold, which was rather silly.
wink.gif

I always get sunroofs in everything I buy as in California we can use them a lot. Ive had great luck W them.

93 SHO - window was perfect - 5 years on the switch got pushed into the housing by a GF that thought it was a much button not a rocker switch - easy fix

95 Maxima bought in 98 - no prob sold in 06

06 G35 - no prob had 3 years

06 RX-400H bought in 09 still no prob works great

04 Nissan Titan - no prob still works great.

17 Ridgeline - no prob but its brand new so there shouldn't be a problem.

UD

Why don't you talk to a willing dealer and see if Honda will let you special order a Civic without a sunroof. GM use to be real good about allowing unlisted custom order changes. Hopefully Honda of America won't be dumb about it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Why don't you talk to a willing dealer and see if Honda will let you special order a Civic without a sunroof. GM use to be real good about allowing unlisted custom order changes. Hopefully Honda of America won't be dumb about it.

smile.gif
Unfortunately(this would be nice) but, this is why mfg's have trimlines. And Honda has always been this way as are most mfg's('cept FORD). If you want some features, you have to step up to the next trim line even though you may be getting features that you don't want.

I don't care for sunroofs. However, I have been entertaining the thought of the Hyundai Elantra "Value Edition" which has a sunroof. And if it wasn't for that, the Value Edition has every feature I want and nothing that I don't.

Only twice/trice in my life have I owned a vehicle that had everything that I wanted and nothing that I didn't. The Firebird FORMULA in my signature in which I ordered new.

And a new '04 Nissan Altima 2.5 S which I happened to find online. Interior/Exterior color and everything. And even after 11 yrs of ownership, I never once wished it was different.
smile.gif

The '15 Altima 2.5 SV(in sig) that I have now is close(this is the trice!). I only wish for an auto dimming rear view mirror and I can still put one in...but, I won't!

Last edited:
I'm looking hard for a used car right now and the top criteria for me is no sunroof, if it has one I won't even go look at it. I just don't see the point in them. There is only a few weeks out of the year you could actually enjoy them around here. In the winter the sun is to low on the horizon for it to help warm up the interior and in the summer it's to hot. I also think it takes away from the look of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm looking hard for a used car right now and the top criteria for me is no sunroof, if it has one I won't even go look at it. I just don't see the point in them. There is only a few weeks out of the year you could actually enjoy them around here. In the winter the sun is to low on the horizon for it to help warm up the interior and in the summer it's to hot. I also think it takes away from the look of the vehicle.

Same here although, we get a bit more time to use one than your couple of weeks. Jun, Sept is about all. And in Jul & Aug, we use the AC more than a sunroof as it's hot & muggy.

Have had only one problem with a 17 year old Saab moonroof. Some piece of stainless steel "hole lining" lifted up and jammed the thing.
No probs with my '02 and '07 V70.
The other Saabs, an '02 and '05 had no probs.

Wouldn't you think the location of the drain holes should be listed in the owner's manual? They are not.
Just more garbage in a car you do not need. I do not want skin cancer.

Take your alloy wheels, leather seats, built in GPS systems and moon roofs and stick 'em where the Sun don't shine. THEN lower the price of my cars $2,500.
Thank You

I've never had a sunroof issue, even on my near-200k mile X3 with a known problematic roof.

My wife loves sunroofs, I prefer a convertible. I will say that being able to vent a sunroof is a nice feature though. Really lets the air move through the cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back