Have you ever owned a convertible?

My wife loved her convertibles. We owned 3 Sebring convertibles over the years. Two were soft tops and one was a hard top. She really wants another one but due to her medical conditions and meds sun is a no no for her now. My brother had a Karma Ghia convertible and my step dad had an Audi convertible.

How about you guys.

I rent one out at the airport for the weekend when I feel the need. Seems to work just fine for me.

Of course, I always have a motorcycle in the garage as well. A two wheeled convertible.

No.

Rented one once (significant other's desire) and it was not suited to the driving we were doing.

In 1971 my friend's father bought a 1966 Buick Electra 225 Convertible.
The engine shattered pistons during 25 mph driving about town.

Had a '78 MGB (in british racing green, of course) for a few years in the early '90s and currently have a '97 Jeep Wrangler which wears a hardtop in the winter.

Last edited:
Yes. 1967 Mustang. 1998 BMW Z3. I had more fun with a 1986 Nissan Z car. It was actually quicker zero to 90 than the BMW. After that the BMW kept climbing… The old Mustang was a fun ice cream getter on Sunday evenings.

2002 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L, wife loved it. Had no issues either. Got rid of it after awhile due to priorities. I had no regrets due to the 2.7L's junk reputation. The only ones I would consider today is an SC430 or Solara.

Three of them:

1. 1968 Mercury Montego MX
2. 1994 Chrysler Lebaron
3. 2008 Ford Mustang

No, but once the BMW dealer gave me a 128i vert loaner. I was always embarrassed whenever I got a car less than a 3 series. That means 2’s and 1’s. 😂

So I took the 128 to a remote part of the Pathmark parking lot, and actuated the top making sure to keep my head down lest anyone were to see me in a 1. Wouldn’t you know, an attractive lady drives by, “nice convertible!” DOH!

My wife loves them. She has had 4 over the past 25 yr or so. I hate them because I always sweat my butt off and exposed to all the dust/dirt on urban streets around Atlanta . No thanks.

1976 MGB, daily driver during good weather, fun car and not as much trouble as Brit cars are thought to be.

1995 BMW 318i, a fun and frugal good weather daily driver. Put a lot of trouble free miles on this one including long highway runs.

Yes. My first car was a '62 Bonneville Ragtop.
SNAG-14102415105000_zps1582e6c6 (1).JPG

My S.O. in the 2000's had two examples of Chrysler Sebring convertibles. The first TOTL got totaled, not her fault. Broken wrist
The second was mid level with out leather. The mid level weighed less and you could feel it in the corners. The 2.7L engines were mostly noise and no power.

My ragtops included ‘05 & ‘07 Chrysler Crossfires, a 2011 Chrysler 200, a 2018 Fiat 124 Spider and currently driving a “01 Boxster.
I do most of my top down driving in the Spring & Fall when the temps are cooler. Not fun driving in heavy traffic with 80+ degree heat beating down on you.

A 67 Sunbeam Alpine, 66 MGB, 69 MG Midget, 71 MGB and a 74 Triumph Spitfire.

Back