Have you ever dealt with an oil filter so tight that even hammer and screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 2018 Silverado 3500 dually Duramax deisel come in the shop yesterday. Not sure where he went before, but the guy in the pit couldn't get the oil filter loose. I went downstairs to help him. I weigh 243lbs, had a band wrench around the filter, my feet braced on the filter rack, and my back against the other side of the pit pulling with everything I had. It actually took a couple minutes and crushing the canister in the process to get that sucker loose! I didn't know they made impact gun filter cups!!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by clinebarger
If my filter pliers don't get it off....I go straight for the Air Hammer & Chisel bit right at the base plate!!

I had to do this once, on a dealer changed AC Delco oil filter in my sister's Chevy Chevette back around 1985 or so. It took three hours to get that filter off! (I had a chisel, but no air hammer)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Two reasons for that some idiot put it on with a tool and or likely didn't oil the gasket. If you DIY you avoid this! These filter are not designed to be torqued down at hundreds of foot pounds. Hand tight then about an addition 1/4 " turn.

It can amaze how tight "hand tight" can be. I have tightened an oil filter so tight with my hand that the next change was a screwdriver ripping through canister pain in the proverbial rump.

Originally Posted by kfy81
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Two reasons for that some idiot put it on with a tool and or likely didn't oil the gasket. If you DIY you avoid this! These filter are not designed to be torqued down at hundreds of foot pounds. Hand tight then about an addition 1/4 " turn.

It can amaze how tight "hand tight" can be. I have tightened an oil filter so tight with my hand that the next change was a screwdriver ripping through canister pain in the proverbial rump.

As long as you lubricate the gasket prior to installing and make sure the mating surface is absolutely clean the you shouldn't have this issue.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Buddy of mine has a pipe wrench with a chain. ...
Long, long ago, when spin-on filters were a new innovation, and filter wrenches were rare, my parents bought a car with a spin-on. Unsure how to take it off, my father went in a plumbing(?) supply store and asked what tool he needed. They sold him a chain wrench much like the one in your photo. It worked----although it reliably dented the can.

... If my filter pliers don't get it off....I go straight for the Air Hammer & Chisel bit right at the base plate!!
That technique requires caution! I knew a couple of guys who tried it. Unfortunately, their chisel slipped off the filter base plate and hit the (aluminum) engine block, puncturing it right into the pressurized oil passage. Oops!

Originally Posted by CR94
... If my filter pliers don't get it off....I go straight for the Air Hammer & Chisel bit right at the base plate!!
That technique requires caution! I knew a couple of guys who tried it. Unfortunately, their chisel slipped off the filter base plate and hit the (aluminum) engine block, puncturing it right into the pressurized oil passage. Oops!

That's a bad day right there.
eek.gif

Same here . I have one mustang oil filter stuck on it . I try everything and it won't move . Then I read a thread here few years back and bought this tool . This get every filter off

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Sears Craftsman oil filter wrench and a breaker bar works.

My brother in law swears by this one. Extensions will get the tool to the filter, and leave you with plenty of room for the breaker bar.

[Linked Image]

If I recall, it was really inexpensive. Made In USA. Only thing I need now is one that goes the other way, for tightening. Old guys like me, with arthritis, don't have a good grip and can't muster up quite as much strength anymore. Little blue pill doesn't help.

I find the strap filter wrenches useful for the tightening, where needed. None of my current applications have any reach problems, but I've experienced such in the past and found the straps helpful.

Originally Posted by CR94

Also, it would be very easy to gouge up the mating surface. Not a good idea.

Originally Posted by Garak
I find the strap filter wrenches useful for the tightening, where needed. None of my current applications have any reach problems, but I've experienced such in the past and found the straps helpful.

Strap wrench is a favorite in the kitchen. Great for jar lids.

Had a 19' Toyota Sienna yesterday. Plastic filter housing on so tight and was leaking bad. I had to use a air saw, then my air chisel to break it in half and unscrew it. Thanks Firestone Auto Care a holes!!

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Strap wrench is a favorite in the kitchen. Great for jar lids.

Funny you mention that, since years back, I bought a pack of them, and one went straight to the kitchen.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Had a 19' Toyota Sienna yesterday. Plastic filter housing on so tight and was leaking bad. I had to use a air saw, then my air chisel to break it in half and unscrew it. Thanks Firestone Auto Care a holes!!

My 2012 corolla plastic housing was on extremely tight from the dealer, I can understanding why they get broke and leak. After doing my first oil change on the car never had an issue. I actually like the element housing filter now, you can loosen it to a point and there's a opening in the cap to let the oil drain before you take it completely off. You can actually see the used element filter after an oil change without having to cut open a steel filter. Of course now toyota has gone away from the element filter in the corolla and Camry.

Yeah, my 09' Camry takes a 4967 or 4386 filter. Of course I use a MC FL400S or NAPA GOLD 1516 since threads are same
wink.gif

I finally quit using them after they put the oil drain plug on so tightly it stretched the threads on the pan. The drain plug is just now getting to the point I can finish removing the plug with my fingers. Right after they over torqued it, I had to wrench it all the way out and wrench it all the way in after draining.

I wonder if it is the same pit crew?

This is your minivan? Or a customer?

This is your minivan? Or a customer?

How about neither. Was a Firestone f$&45 up so our shop got dumped on and had to fix it as shop that was supposed to is pretty much like Firestone. We say " you will always get the bone at Firestone"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back