Have cell phones finally broke the bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Motorola introduced a $2000 smartphone back in 2008 and it didn't kill the market...it just didn't sell.
This product was probably a good sign at that time that Motorola management just didn't get it and the company was basically doomed.

I got a kick out of this short comparison between the Mot Aura and a Rolex...
http://www.technologizer.com/2008/10/21/...imate-showdown/

Motorola currently sells a pretty good and low priced smartphone, I have one and am very happy with it

"Motorola" phones are now made by Lenovo...they bought the Mot name from Google.
Motorola was the king of cellular in the mid '90s and also had a huge semiconductor business along with a good sized automotive/industrial division. All that has been sold off and now Motorola Solutions pretty much just makes police/fire/ambulance/govt radio systems. Motorola lost the lead in cellular to Nokia when it refused to lead the way into digital cell, telling itself over and over that analog had better voice quality...they had the technology and refused to run with it.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
yes, among other things.

Our corporations hire manufacturers in China to produce things for export. These are then exported out of China and then imported back.

Yup, American retailers have way lower prices than many in foreign countries (China included) because of low tax, and our customers are usually more price conscious.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Plenty of excellent Android phones out there in the $200 range. For something that you'll drop, lose or get wet, I can't see spending $1,000 on it.

I recall I paid about $170 for my phone (Galaxy J7), plus $10 for a heavy-duty armored case (Amazon). No complaints so far!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Plenty of excellent Android phones out there in the $200 range. For something that you'll drop, lose or get wet, I can't see spending $1,000 on it.

That's what protection... er insurance is for.

That's a real nice phone you have there, it'd be a shame if anything happened to it....

Most carriers offer it and there's also Apple care which is another few dollars a month.

Or spend ten bucks on a heavy-duty case...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That's what protection... er insurance is for.

That's a real nice phone you have there, it'd be a shame if anything happened to it....

Most carriers offer it and there's also Apple care which is another few dollars a month.

Or spend ten bucks on a heavy-duty case...

A case can only do so much. Many people end up smashing the screen even with a case. Plus insurance will also cover cases where you drop it in water or it gets lost or stolen.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Astro14
This isn't about cell technology or performance.

There are many good devices at a much lower price.

This is about luxury, plain and simple. Like buying a Louis Vuitton bag, or any other status symbol. A Rolex tells time. A Timex tells time. But they make different "statements" and that's exactly what is selling these phones:

The desire to make a statement.

It’s a $1000 phone? Who thinks of it as a status symbol? Anybody can have one if they sign up with some kind of plan.

Very low uneducated people would rather have a $1000 phone than spend that money on more important things.

Yeah, like rent. Lots of times I've turned away people who didn't have the income/savings to pay for an apartment, but their kids were playing around with iphones while we talked.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very low uneducated people would rather have a $1000 phone than spend that money on more important things.

I only know two people who made the jump on the phone. Interestingly graduates of Harvard (Chemistry) and Attorney (Boston College). Both make over $500k/year and own small businesses. They both just love technology and much cooler to me cars.

A case can only do so much. Many people end up smashing the screen even with a case. Plus insurance will also cover cases where you drop it in water or it gets lost or stolen.

My armored case also comes with an armored-glass screen protector.

I have spent zero on cell phones in five years, or service.

Get an employer to pay for a new smart phone for you on a yearly basis, and just setup a google voice account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back