Have cell phones finally broke the bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess like any technology some people want the newest gadget. People want new cars and wait in long lines for a new game system.

This isn't about cell technology or performance.

There are many good devices at a much lower price.

This is about luxury, plain and simple. Like buying a Louis Vuitton bag, or any other status symbol. A Rolex tells time. A Timex tells time. But they make different "statements" and that's exactly what is selling these phones:

The desire to make a statement.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

This is about luxury, plain and simple. Like buying a Louis Vuitton bag, or any other status symbol. A Rolex tells time. A Timex tells time. But they make different "statements" and that's exactly what is selling these phones:

It’s a $1000 phone? Who thinks of it as a status symbol? Anybody can have one if they sign up with some kind of plan.

My youngest sister is 19. Some of her friends get a new iPhone every month it seems, yet they drive $500 cars that barely run. It truly is a different world with different priorities. I remember dating a few girls in college (I graduated in 2014) who didn't even have their license at 22-24. They didn't feel they needed it. They had campus jobs and walked to work, lived on campus, etc. I got my permit the day I turned 15 because I wanted so badly to drive.

I just bought a new iPhone 8, and while it was under $1000 it was still expensive to me. With that said, I know people who would still buy the phone even if it was $3000.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I know some people that will buy the $1000.00 phone and in six months buy the new $1300.00 phone because they have to have the newest. Charge it.

I know several folks that stand in line for hours in order to do this. What suckers!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Motorola introduced a $2000 smartphone back in 2008 and it didn't kill the market...it just didn't sell.
This product was probably a good sign at that time that Motorola management just didn't get it and the company was basically doomed.

I got a kick out of this short comparison between the Mot Aura and a Rolex...
http://www.technologizer.com/2008/10/21/...imate-showdown/

Motorola currently sells a pretty good and low priced smartphone, I have one and am very happy with it

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Good point..."status" and "look at me" factor.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Cell phones have now hit the $1,000 mark. Is this finally the breaking point?

Who knows, but when you consider how much they use the phone, and that to these people their phone is a substitute (abet, an expensive one) for their desktop, that's how they can justify it.

If I want a "long distance plan" I just have to add string ...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Doesn't bother me. Manufacturers can ask anything they want for their phones. And buyers can keep their money. It's not like one HAS to spend $1000.

What if they come to your house in the middle of the night, bust your door down, slap you around a little bit, take your wallet, and then have a bowl of Frosty Flakes before they leave?

I'd tell them my ex-girlfriend needs a phone too, and give them the address!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I am happy with my $125 LG Smart phone that does more than I even need or want. ED

Yep, same here. I have an LG TracFone for personal use.

I have an iPhone 7 that's a company phone but I wouldn't spend more than $200 if I had to buy it.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yep, same here. I have a TracFone LG for personal use.

I have an iPhone 7 that's a company phone but I wouldn't spend more than $200 if I had to buy it.

Yes, we know you said the same thing earlier.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If idiots are willing to pay for the latest and greatest, sure why not.

I have an iPhone for work but I won't spend more than $200 if it were my personal phone.

Any idiot that will buy one won't keep it 6-7 years.
As soon as the next latest and greatest comes out they will wait all night in line eager to run into the store like a little girl to get one.
Then they can show off to what few friends they have.
And the circle goes around.

Once upon a time desktop cost $3k.

You don't need to spend for the $1k phone, start with a $200 one and you should be fine. Or you can get a contract and get a subsidized $30 one.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think the only reason they have gotten away with it so far is because so many are living on credit anyway what's another $1,000. They don't fear the day they have to pay the piper.
wink.gif

Not really, they sell a lot of that as fashion statement to people who has money. And there're a lot of export market to places in Asia (China being the biggest obviously).

iPhone 6 6S 7 8 has looked the same for years and it is no longer "fashion", hence no demand.

For $1000, I have my Moto G3 through Republic Wireless and 62 months of service covered (probably a little bit more since my bill is actually lower than the $12.50 I figured).

Too each his own. Some people need more than what I've got.

I read something somewhere that made sense: each generation has their things they spend money on. The younger generation is willing to put their money on iphones. The older generation puts all their money on bling, high end sports cars or $50,000 dollar pickups, McMansions, lifted trucks, expensive sounds systems, aftermarket wheels for their cars, Starbucks drinks, alcohol, food, etc. We could go on and on.

Are the younger generations crazy/foolish/stupid? Not any more than the rest of us... they just put their money in a different place. Technology for the younger generation is a higher priority. There are exceptions, but the older generations are spending buckets of money on the things that interest them.
smile.gif
The previous generations spend way more than $1,000 on their toys.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
there're a lot of export market to places in Asia (China being the biggest obviously).

We export phones to China???

yes, among other things.

Our corporations hire manufacturers in China to produce things for export. These are then exported out of China and then imported back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back