First Snow of the Year

Understand that daughter in Wichita got 5 or 6 inches. She left our family gathering here in SW Mo because of the forecast yesterday. Both Topeka and Wichita got record setting snowfall.
Yup

Wichita’s snowfall amount from Saturday broke a decades-old record as the National Weather Service in Wichita recorded 7.8 inches of snow at Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport, but we’ll be getting a respite for at least a week.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article282338908.html#storylink=cpy

Topekans dug out Sunday after experiencing what the National Weather Service said was the capital city's snowiest November day in 135 years.

Topeka recorded 6.3 inches of snowfall Saturday, then an additional 0.9 inches early Sunday, amounting to a total of 7.2 inches,

Saturday's total was Topeka's second-highest one-day November snowfall total since the weather service began keeping records here in 1887, Reese said.

I wish I could do that. I’m currently restricted for 4 weeks or more due to a recent medical procedure. I’m going to have a leaf mess in the spring……

It was all honestly all too thick to be doing that, I was pushing most of them around. People getting out of the Church across from me got a helluva show... :ROFLMAO:

I really shouldn't have been riding the mower either due to a healing "affliction" but I live on a busy road an like to maintain a good looking property.

It wouldn’t bother me if it never snowed around here again. Snow and ice,…BAH HUMBUG!

I think that I need to move to the Caribbean. 🌴 🏝️ ☀️ 🍻 🍺 🛶😎

Had about 2 inches here on the NE side of the Kansas City metro. That was in bushes and flat top objects. Very little on concrete and streets. The snow really never accumulated on blacktop. Was pretty though this morning. Mostly gone now.

They sure got a pile in Manhattan Kansas! I was watching the Iowa State vs Kansas State game. Holy snow Batman!

Just my $0.02

We got a little bit, nothing crazy but I haven’t left the house to see how the roads are. Then it got windy so what snow we did get is blowing around.
IMG_8973.jpeg

Not here in southeast Va….

Earliest snowfall I have seen was in early November 1987 Veterans Day snowstorm where my area in northern Gloucester county had 1 inch of snow. Richmond had 4 inches of snow in that storm and Washington DC had quite a bit more than Richmond… 8-13 inches and I think more than that in the northwest suburbs of DC. Second earliest snow was in 1989 Thanksgiving day where a 1/2 fell that am.

Early snowstorms in my area are typically considered early December. Normal time frame is sometime in January. Late is typically after early February. Very late is March. And the latest I have seen the first real snowfall was early April 2007 when 3.5 inches of snow fell early am on April 7th. That happened on the day the Gloucester Daffodil festival was supposed to happen. It was canceled that morning at 530 am with heavy snow falling at that time. Interestingly we had snow showers even into late that afternoon until near 4 pm… Amazing to see that happen that late.

This is our second significant snowfall of the season. Last time was 8" and this time it was about 12". The most recent snow was super fluffy and compresses so quickly that there was about 6" left today.
Naperville must be in a bit of a different weather pattern? I'm about five miles away and got about 1.5 inches.

I am amazed how many snow fences are up this year already. Interesting.

One on our road, in an open field less than a mile north. Never seen a snow fence there in 3 years winters have we lived here (this our third)

Last edited:
Naperville must be in a bit of a different weather pattern? I'm about five miles away and got about 1.5 inches.

Same, I'm just 10 miles south and only got an inch or so.

Ours came yesterday in Iowa. Only got about 1 inch here. Problem was it melted when it hit the pavement, then turned into ice.
Wrecks galore and cars in the ditches! Same offenders as usual when they won't slow down. Now we have phones to throw into the occasion and people not paying attention. My Son-in-law works for the county here. He was out 4 hours this AM spreading sand and salt.

Have you folks had your first snow yet?
That's why the answers in this thread below surprised me. The folks who say "when it first snows" are likely to be caught at work, or on the road, when the snow/ice/freezing rain of early season winter weather hits. Just as likely to crash as the folks who don't even own winter tires.

You want the winter tires on the car before the winter weather hits - not after.

By the way, the winter tires are on the R model in Colorado, but of course, the first snow was about on October 25th, and the first appointment I could get to change them over was after that, even booking weeks in advance...

Last edited:
Ours came yesterday in Iowa. Only got about 1 inch here. Problem was it melted when it hit the pavement, then turned into ice.
Wrecks galore and cars in the ditches! Same offenders as usual when they won't slow down. Now we have phones to throw into the occasion and people not paying attention. My Son-in-law works for the county here. He was out 4 hours this AM spreading sand and salt.

Have you folks had your first snow yet?
1.5 inches here in Ames. It was nice to see since we were putting up our Christmas decorations.

You want the winter tires on the car before the winter weather hits - not after.
That's true, but given my druthers I was going to wait a couple weeks. It's highly unusual to get snow (or snow that sticks) this early in the season around here. Heck I'm not done picking up the leaves yet LOL.

We received our first snow of the year as well today. Maybe a cm or so. Just enough to cover the green lawn

Last week it snowed and actually stayed on the roads for 24hrs, but I went mountain biking yesterday on mostly dry trails.
We don't get consistent snow cover until last weeks of December most years, but the ski hills here are making snow every night its cold enough!

Chance of flurries for tomorrow according to news around here. All that have them are already good to go.
Just did the 8 trips from the basement with the winter tires.. probably install weds.

Since they are only on the car 3.5-5 months the other set stays in the breezeway for winter..
only have to carry them up and back 1 time.
Was that 2 at a time? I did the 8 trips to the shed rolling 2 each time.

Then with the Conti sale for my son, did 2 more trips each way rolling 2, getting rid of worn and returning new. It's like a stooped over exercise plan across 1/2 acre.

Back