Have cell phones finally broke the bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Moto E2 a year ago for under $30. Pay $30 a month to Boost for twice as much data as I use. My step son just lost his fast food job. Has a Galaxy 8 (and a $3000 gun). Told him to put an event on his calendar and he doesn't know how to use one.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Doesn't bother me. Manufacturers can ask anything they want for their phones. And buyers can keep their money. It's not like one HAS to spend $1000.

What if they come to your house in the middle of the night, bust your door down, slap you around a little bit, take your wallet, and then have a bowl of Frosty Flakes before they leave?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
how-do-you-milk-sheep-release-a-new-iphone-4101055.png

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dmack2
I'll keep my $$$...might even go back to a flip-phone because of all the garbage that comes up on a smart phone.

We could afford any cell phone we wanted. But we stick with a well used flip phone and a $100 per year contract. We need a cell phone for emergency calls and general calls while travelling. Our flip phone does the job very nicely.

This is what's called consumer resistance. I prefer to buy bottles of fine single malt scotch and fine wine with the money saved by not having the latest cell phone.

Our latest phone is a iPhone 7 since my Galaxy S5 died. Don't plan on getting another phone until this one dies.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
$1000 for an iPhone, LOL. Apple will sell plenty, but they won't be selling me one for a grand.

They will be fine without you. Laughing all the way to the bank
wink.gif

I laugh with them, I own the stock, and have for many years.
wink.gif

I wouldn't spend $1,000 on a phone but if you need to upgrade then do so. I upgraded from an iphone 5S to a 6S+ and did not regret it. I rather throw that kind of money on a nice set of tires or a new computer instead.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Too early for you to be up at this time isn't it demarpaint ??
smile.gif

I have to work in lower Manhattan today. We're leaving extra early because of the tragic events that took place yesterday. Very Sad.

an iphone is mostly a yuppie/poser bling decoration.
the real value is in a 1 year old or more samsung note.
at least to me where it is a tool rather than a toy.
still on a note 3 here.lineage os ftw.
let a note for get sold on at work rather than upgrade to it.
little to gain and would have needed to rebuild it to my standards.
rooted,unlocked bootloader,debloated,and under my full control.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
rooted,unlocked bootloader,debloated,and under my full control.

Careful now iPhone owners heads may explode and the iTunes police will come for you.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Plenty of excellent Android phones out there in the $200 range. For something that you'll drop, lose or get wet, I can't see spending $1,000 on it.

I am 100% in agreement, my latest android cost around $150 without shopping around at all. Works great.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Cell phones have now hit the $1,000 mark. Is this finally the breaking point?

There is no way I am paying 1,000 for a phone!

Nope, what ever the public will pay, there will always be a company that produces a product even though a $100 dollar smart phone will do the same thing, sometimes better.
Its all about what makes us happy, most people walking around with one, have to take out a loan to buy it which is kind of sad.

Dont mis understand my post, Im not saying there is anything wrong with buying a $1000 phone, after all, people buy $50,000 cars which is becoming quite common. I am saying it is sad that people take out a loan for such things because they cant afford to pay cash.

Last edited:
On top of these ultra expensive phones, Verizon has done away with their plan where you become eligible to upgrade your phone every 2 years at a heavily discounted price. I used to get $600+ phones on this plan for less than $200, but now you have to pay full price for the phone. It's ridiculous, considering their plans are the most expensive ones...

I don’t understand why people have to have the latest and greatest. Nobody needs a $1000 smart phone. My four year old iPhone is still trucking.

And if you need a plan to pay for your new phone, you can’t afford it. Buy a used phone.

Last edited:
You guys are not the target audience. Apple tried the low rent market with IPhone 5c and now let Android have the market bottom. I like the iPhone SE as a good buy still. Not low rent but favorable price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back