Have cell phones finally broke the bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I threw my phone out of the window of a car today. My service manager picked it up and stuck the battery back in while I was road testing a car. When I got back I picked it up off of the shop floor and flipped it open and it was still working.

We are an apple family, and if your committed to that, the current $1000 iphone probably will be good for 6-7 years so its not that much per year. I'll probably have one eventually, but only when its a couple hundred bucks.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
iPhone 7 here, I cant use all the stuff it does, the wife made us get them, she is the cellphone guru here, remember if the wife ain't happy, my life is gonna get reallllllllll bad...lol

Funny CourierDriver that I am in the same boat about keeping the wife happy. BTW nice quote eh. :--)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
We are an apple family, and if your committed to that, the current $1000 iphone probably will be good for 6-7 years so its not that much per year. I'll probably have one eventually, but only when its a couple hundred bucks.

Any Chinese handset will probably be good for 6-7 years regardless of the logo on the case.
Apple has done an exceptional job in positioning its handset as a premium brand.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Spent $54 (no contract) on a nice smart phone. Works just as good as the $1,000 phones

The ones I've had worked BETTER as a phone than most smartphones.

I know some people that will buy the $1000.00 phone and in six months buy the new $1300.00 phone because they have to have the newest. Charge it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I know some people that will buy the $1000.00 phone and in six months buy the new $1300.00 phone because they have to have the newest. Charge it.

The upside is that these folks will easily be able to sell this item at massive resale and lose very little money. Unlike so many folks including ones posting here who spend money on excess car options financed no less to afford them and get maybe $0.50 on the dollar if lucky back.

I am not getting one either unless some massive incentive does it. I am currently on Verizon 24months for a decent trade in offer last year of iPhone 6 for an iPhone 7 "free" which really is a great smartphone. I expense my cell phone bill to work since the text me and call me on it. I do have to pay $20 out of pocket for my wife sharing the plan expensed to work.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
$1000 for an iPhone, LOL. Apple will sell plenty, but they won't be selling me one for a grand.

They will be fine without you. Laughing all the way to the bank
wink.gif

The price for a Pixel 2 is close to $1000 also. But with only 3 years of software updates that put the phone at over $300/year.

I would go $500 yo $600. But $1000 is too much.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is unsurprising even if hard to believe.
For a lot of hip urbanites, especially younger ones, an expensive new handset is the status symbol of choice.
A cool phone is a way of trying to tell the world that you're hip and prosperous, even if you still live in mom's basement.
A hip new phone is also a lot cheaper than any sort of new car or even a running used one, even if it is also a whole lot less useful.
Status in a car requires at least an old BMW or Benz, which will run you some multiple of a grand and will also require possibly costly repairs and maintenance, which young folks don't seem too much inclined to DIY.
Status in a phone requires only a grand and will require nothing in the way of maintenance or repair unless you drop it on a hard surface and shatter the screen.
I've seen a few young and probably impecunious folks do this with expensive handsets and I cringed for them.
Those who want to advertise to the world at large that they have a 1K phone should do so, secure in the knowledge that all of those potential thieves are well aware of its value, like addicts in need of a fix and lacking the technical ability to steal a car who will think nothing of knocking you down and grabbing your phone and then running off.

Don't forget that $1000 handset is about $41.66 a month over a standard 24 month contract. Apple actually isn't as bad as Samsung, an S7 Edge which was the top of the line phone last year and in the $700-$800 range now sells for about $275 used a year later. Apple 7 pluses are probably still in the $500-550 range and they started at about the same price as the Samsung.

I paid $50 for a $150 phone for switching providers ... latest 4G LTE, etc and works great. iPhone for $1000 is more "status symbol" then technology.

Plenty of excellent Android phones out there in the $200 range. For something that you'll drop, lose or get wet, I can't see spending $1,000 on it.

I bought my iPhone 7+ last year in September for $992 with a leather case. Was worth every penny, otherwise I'd have to use a piece of junk Android phone that glitches out all the time. No thanks.

This one will last me 3-4 years and I'll probably buy another one. Have no desire to get the X though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The price for a Pixel 2 is close to $1000 also. But with only 3 years of software updates that put the phone at over $300/year.

I would go $500 yo $600. But $1000 is too much.

The pixel 2 can GET to $1000, but it can be had for less.

Pixel 2 starts@ $649, or $27.04/mo for 24 mos.
upgrade the Memory from 64GB to 128GB +$100
Preferred Care Coverage +$129
649+100+129=$878, or $36.58/mo for 24 mos.

if you want the XL(with the considerably worse screen) add $200.
Pixel 2XL $849, or $35.38/mo for 24 mos.
so with the extra memory and preferred care, $1,078 or $44.92/month for 24 months

i've been considering a base (64 GB) Pixel 2 for my next phone. don't need the extra memory or extended warranty.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Plenty of excellent Android phones out there in the $200 range. For something that you'll drop, lose or get wet, I can't see spending $1,000 on it.

That's what protection... er insurance is for.

That's a real nice phone you have there, it'd be a shame if anything happened to it....

Most carriers offer it and there's also Apple care which is another few dollars a month.

We have 2x iPhone 6s 128gb both; both work flawlessly; we decided to keep them; the only drawback, our iCloud is full of 50gb, now Apple wants 2.99 a month for additional 200gb of iCloud memory

If you do don;t care about or do not understand the leading edge design, technology, and value of the new iphoneX, it is much better not to get one. These folks should stick to the run of the mill $200 phones and they will be absolutely happy.

So lots of people think the IphoneX is too expensive. There are also plenty of people who recognize the value that want the iphoneX. This week Apple reported pre-orders of 51 million phones for the iphoneX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back