Has Toyota solved the truck frame rust problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the rust but the new issue is the rear differential not being torqued. This causes the fluid to leak and the diff to seize. If you catch it, it's still a two month wait on parts. The dealership I worked for couldn't sell our Tacoma to customers as it took 3 months for parts to show.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Some pics of my '06 T4R summer of 2017 132k WI. miles prior to treatment...no worries

What did your treatment consist of?

my recent hasty purchase because of a total loss accident was a 2011 nissan frontier SV low miles + high price but looked great. very cold + windy day when i went to check it out @ CarMax so since it looked good i just assumed with all their said checks it was great. they neglected + shame on me did not ask its origin, but after purchase a carfax revealed a Massachusetts origin, hence the excessive underside salty look! i hopefully can clean this up with a powerwash underneath + some easily applied coating this summer, its a beefy truck all around + still looks very solid.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dblshock
Some pics of my '06 T4R summer of 2017 132k WI. miles prior to treatment...no worries

What did your treatment consist of?

Permatex spray and brush on after I knocked off the lose stuff with a scraper and compressed air, it was alot of work..after those pics I then shot it all with rubberized undercoating from Walmart.

Permatex

it's a really nice SUV, a 'baby Land Cruiser' as they're referred to

...and my '97 T-100 frame is still kicking 274k now retired to local and ranch duty.

My brother looked at a 2007 that had zero body rust, but the engine (and components) and frame was pretty rusty. Had new spring perches even. Oh and the power steering rack and hoses were nearly rusted out.

All I can tell you is my 99 Tacoma frame is still in excellent shape and is still on the original exhaust system. Not a lot of snow here, so we do not see a lot of salt. My 2011 Tundra frame still looks black and most of the bolts don't even have surface rust. The aftermarket Reese ball mount/draw bar has more surface rust than anything else on the truck. It has seen some snow and quite a bit of beach driving. After snow and beach driving the undercarriage gets a water flush.

As long as you take care of it. Rust shouldn’t be an issue. My 2002 Tacoma had little to no rust. That truck lived in California and Texas.

Up here in northern NY, frame rust is a major problem. Typically after 10-12 years frames have substantial rust to the point of getting thin and even holes rusted through.
This is not an issue with one brand, they all rust.
I will say, painted frames seem to hold up better than the cosmoline coated ones.
The cosmoline typically starts getting worn/blasted off after only a couple years and leaves the metal unprotected.
The painted frames tend to hold up better, but the rust seems to start at welds and seams.

The best advise I could give, being that I have lived in the rust belt all my life, is to have your truck treated with a product like Krown or Rust Check on an annual schedule if you live in a salt state. They are an oil based rust preventative spray, it will soak into the seams and protect the metal better than undercoating. Typical cost is $150 per annual application.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
As has been said, The rust issues associated with Tacoma's, Tundra's, and Sequoia's, was due to Dana Corp making the frames improperly. Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp as a result. With the hassle and bad press, I'm sure Toyota has since taken steps to ensure that rust-preventive measures are taken as speced.

ANY new vehicle which is operated in a highly corrosive environment can have rust issues, if the instructions I've seen in every owners manual to keep the vehicle clean when operated in such an environment, is ignored.

I live in an area that salts the roads heavily all winter long. Back in my consumer car repair days, I saw vehicles from all the manufacturers with severe rust issues. I have friends who are still in consumer car repair that tell me nothing has changed in that regard. The common theme among those cars? Negligent owners.

Bottom line: If you operate a vehicle in a highly corrosive environment, follow the owners manual instructions and wash off the salt as often as is necessary. Including the undercarriage. Also, protect the paint as necessary.

By me folks have their outside water spigots turned off for the winter to prevent damage from freezing water. Yes, you can go to the mechanical car wash, and then drive right back on the same wet roads with salt. Most folks wait until the roads dry to get it washed, but there will be days on end where the roads do not dry and it is pointless to wash until they do dry up. Salt is a fact of life during the winter in many places.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
As has been said, The rust issues associated with Tacoma's, Tundra's, and Sequoia's, was due to Dana Corp making the frames improperly. Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp as a result. With the hassle and bad press, I'm sure Toyota has since taken steps to ensure that rust-preventive measures are taken as speced.

ANY new vehicle which is operated in a highly corrosive environment can have rust issues, if the instructions I've seen in every owners manual to keep the vehicle clean when operated in such an environment, is ignored.

I live in an area that salts the roads heavily all winter long. Back in my consumer car repair days, I saw vehicles from all the manufacturers with severe rust issues. I have friends who are still in consumer car repair that tell me nothing has changed in that regard. The common theme among those cars? Negligent owners. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...2/what/showflat

Bottom line: If you operate a vehicle in a highly corrosive environment, follow the owners manual instructions and wash off the salt as often as is necessary. Including the undercarriage. Also, protect the paint as necessary.

By me folks have their outside water spigots turned off for the winter to prevent damage from freezing water. Yes, you can go to the mechanical car wash, and then drive right back on the same wet roads with salt. Most folks wait until the roads dry to get it washed, but there will be days on end where the roads do not dry and it is pointless to wash until they do dry up. Salt is a fact of life during the winter in many places.

A fellow NY'er, you nailed it. They often salt in anticipation of snow and ice, and the roads can remain coated with the garbage until it rains and washes it away. Many cars have a layer of salt on them for weeks at a time, or longer, a sad reality.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I live in an area that salts the roads heavily all winter long. Back in my consumer car repair days, I saw vehicles from all the manufacturers with severe rust issues. I have friends who are still in consumer car repair that tell me nothing has changed in that regard. The common theme among those cars? Negligent owners. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...2/what/showflat

A fellow NY'er, you nailed it. They often salt in anticipation of snow and ice, and the roads can remain coated with the garbage until it rains and washes it away. Many cars have a layer of salt on them for weeks at a time, or longer, a sad reality.

From what I have read and been told, the damage from the salt occurs once the temperature goes above a certain point. An example the article I read stated, one of the worst things you could do was park a salt covered vehicle in a heated garage. The article suggested to park a salt covered vehicle outdoors and wash off the salt once the temperature allows.

Fortunately, I live in an area that only sees snow 2-3 times a year and when it does snow, the temperature moderates soon after allowing me to wash the vehicles.

I live in an area that salts the roads heavily all winter long. Back in my consumer car repair days, I saw vehicles from all the manufacturers with severe rust issues. I have friends who are still in consumer car repair that tell me nothing has changed in that regard. The common theme among those cars? Negligent owners.

I LIVE in one of those places. Salt on the roads all winter long. Up a nearby Canyon, we got nearly 3' of snow, just yesterday. A good storm, but not unusual at all for the area.

I get it. It's a pain to continually wash salt off vehicles during the winter. Lots of people don't bother, and their vehicles rust out in short order, regardless of make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back