Has Photobucket eliminated Free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Rand
The part that really burns the bacon..

No prior notice, change from free to $399.....

Agreed, and does seem like greed.

Yeah, Photobucket is high on something. Should be more like $3.99/year, not $399.

I never got any email from Photobucket, but I do see on another chat board where I've posted a bunch of photos liked to Photobucket that they have now been removed and Photobucket's stupid warning shows up instead. I hope everyone leaves that place!

I guess all the big chat boards need to have the ability for people to upload their photos directly like this site does.

^^^ Thanks BigD1.

I just logged into my Photobucket account and the photos I've uploaded most recently can't even be viewed by me in my own account. WTH Photobucket ... what's the use of even having an account there now if you can't even view your own photos without paying $399/year. Whoever dreamed up this "business model" at Photobucket is smoking crack.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
You can download the pictures from your Photobucket account, but it's still going to be a big PITA. Choose an album, and then on the right side of the page under Actions choose download album. Probably going to take forever because I am sure they are going to get hammered.

It sure was. I spent the better part of 3 hours downloading everything into, "My Pictures". It took forever because Photobucket was locking up, and running slow as Molasses. I opened a new account with Imgur. It's nice. Fast uploads. Easy, detailed editing. And zero problem getting the proper link for where you want to post. I can honestly say it couldn't be better. Tomorrow I'll delete my Photobucket account. I hope they go broke. I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to pay for that crippled dog with fleas.

I don't do Facebook, but I did go to PhotoBucket Facebook page without an account, and it was getting hammered with complaints. People were being locked out of their pictures, and of course the linking was being complained about along with the extortion money they want.

I did email PhotoBucket. Got a canned response from Robert their bot. Have to respond to the bot before it actually goes to a human, so they say. Email topic is probably as far as they will read my email, but that was the point.

So I checked today and see that all my photos in various threads that were linked to Photobucket are now showing up today. Has Photobucket changed their minds on

^^^^Reading your post, thought perhaps cooler heads had prevailed but checking some of my post's here with pics, no joy. Some have the small x box as if pics deleted or changed on Pb, which I haven't done. And some have the speedo box as shown here. And I can't access their site trying two different browsers to see if my account still otherwise intact. Ugh.

Lot of bad pub on the net though with subject lines like this " Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web."

Seems Photobucket has kicked the bucket and the photos.

Just noticed this on the Subaru Impreza forum. This is so wrong. MILLIONS of forum posts are now without pictures. From free to $400?!?! Photobucket has lost their [censored] mind.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
So I checked today and see that all my photos in various threads that were linked to Photobucket are now showing up today. Has Photobucket changed their minds on linking?

So I just check those same threads again a minute ago, and the photos show up again in some threads but are blocked again in some threads. Photobucket is totally syco.

Been reading that some people are filing complaints with their state attorney general office. Just wondering if I should do it too? Or am I just wasting my time?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Been reading that some people are filing complaints with their state attorney general office. Just wondering if I should do it too? Or am I just wasting my time?

Read the site terms and conditions. Do these folks who complain think they are squatters?

I think the point Rand made earlier and that can be found most often on the web now is, going from free to ~$400 and removing third party pics with ZERO notice is really low.

No doubt Pb had/has a 'right' to make a change in service. Doing it as they did is another matter. To keep the pics I've posted here and perhaps remove the Pb site ads, I might have been interested in paying a reasonable fee. Apparently Pb has no interest in that idea. But I have no intention of taking my compliant beyond posting it here, as that's why I created and used the Pb account.

I was able to access my Pb account again today, but the amount of pop up ads is absurd.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I think the point Rand made earlier and that can be found most often on the web now is, going from free to ~$400 and removing third party pics with ZERO notice is really low.

Yes that's about it.

They are charging the same amount for people that use it for profit as they are for people that only link pictures of DIY projects with no intention ever of making a dime. Does not make sense to me.

Years ago I made a PB account, so I could share photos on the websites that did not hae an option for loading directly to onto them. How many millions did the same thing?

Basically any Photo I uploaded was to share publically, on the thread/ forum I was wanting to share with. I was not really keen on those images showing up in a google search but Oh well.

In the last year PB has been torturous to use. Slow uploads, not registering photos that took forever to upload, and IF i were to disable Ad blocker and try to use it, then it would lock up my computer.

Now they want people to pay for such horrid service? If the ads were not so overwhelming, I would have allowed them. If the service was actually able to be used without cursing at the format, the ads, the lockups, then perhaps I would consider a modest fee to continue to have the pics I've posted to many forums, since 2009, still accessible.

But 40 bucks a month? No chance. Would never ever even contemplate it.

There are now so many useful threads all over the net, without pictures. Is this the modern equivalent of the loss of the Alexandria library, or when Spanish priests burned every book the Maya had compiled? How much was forever lost. Due to ignorance and arrogance on levels unmatched, until perhaps now.

Screw the Photobucket decision, Screw them. It is a contemptible move, even if fully within their rights to do so. It is a shamless money grab. I am really more irritated than I should be about this, but I kind of view it as similar to those Pharma companies that decided that a drug that cost 3 dollars to make for one dose, should cost 5,000 dollars and people should have to either go into considerable debt, wipe put their life savings, or let their loved ones die.

Giant middle finger to them.

I have gone to considerable effort over the years to share pictures here and on other forums, with PB being the image host. They are effectively holding those threads for ransom for a ridiculous sum.

I deleted my account there. I did not even bother dealing with downloading what I had saved over there during the last 8 years. Not worth the effort or the slow annoying website format.

So many threads are now worse than useless, because of a few fat cats who wanted to be fatter.
It is within everybodys right to behave contemptibly. I avoid such people. And I hope the decision makers at PB get an incurable itch in their most unpleasant regions that cannot be mitigated in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back