Is your permanent email account free, or paid?

I think as humans we are horders, like rodents we will eat ourselves to death if given the chance.
My wife and I have been throwing stuff out for a while now but the big dump was right before we moved into a new home.

Think about it. As you get older what kids will want to go through 1000s of photos/videos and all the other electronic junk we have.
I have a goal for my thousands of photos which I am getting better at deleting now. My goal is to delate most all of them someday and print out maybe 12 select photos from every year if that.

We use many free accounts, seem to like outlook the best but also Proton mail I have one paid account. I also pay $1 a month for additional space on Apple. I have dont really have a main account, I have about 10... working on that to get to maybe 3 plus my wife's.
At my work account which is unlimited, I have 28,243 emails (total, not unread lol) as I type....I have no intention of looking through them nor deleting them, since I stuck to work with the email addy, my employer is free to do whatever they want with them when I leave one day.

You are right. Imagine when I moved into my house I was alone. 3 mos later I adopted a black lab puppy. We played catch in the basement. Today, the basement and attic are full. I have often thought about how more comes in, than goes out. Would the house one day implode as a result? Ditto with electronic stuff. I realized it's not really possible to save all my dash cam videos, they are 650 mb each for 3 min. at the front. The rear are 250 mb. Doesn't even matter how many TB a drive is, it's unmanageable and more practical to overwrite...

At my work account which is unlimited, I have 28,243 emails (total, not unread lol) as I type....I have no intention of looking through them nor deleting them, since I stuck to work with the email addy, my employer is free to do whatever they want with them when I leave one day.

You are right. Imagine when I moved into my house I was alone. 3 mos later I adopted a black lab puppy. We played catch in the basement. Today, the basement and attic are full. I have often thought about how more comes in, than goes out. Would the house one day implode as a result? Ditto with electronic stuff. I realized it's not really possible to save all my dash cam videos, they are 650 mb each for 3 min. at the front. The rear are 250 mb. Doesn't even matter how many TB a drive is, it's unmanageable and more practical to overwrite...
*LOL* ... yeah, let your work place figure that one out.

We moved south 16 years ago, had kids with us and being we moved south bought an incredible new 5 br home plus an office. It was huge but not the price being we moved south.
Anyway downsized and just moved to the coast now that the kids are off on their own. (I'm getting to my point that you yourself posted)
Even though our house was impeccably clean we emptied out the closets and cabinets, garage ect... Sold off all our furniture since we were getting a new home figured new furniture...

Ok, but get this part, we had a garbage dumpster delivered to our house, think it was,maybe 20 feet? We ended up filling it up! All the crap in our closets and garage, plus stuff that may have been in use but not taking since we downsized. Anyway, I couldn't believe it, it was almost embarrassing because you could not see the stuff but magically was hidden in the house! *LOL*

Ok, but get this part, we had a garbage dumpster delivered to our house, think it was,maybe 20 feet? We ended up filling it up! All the crap in our closets and garage, plus stuff that may have been in use but not taking since we downsized. Anyway, I couldn't believe it, it was almost embarrassing because you could not see the stuff but magically was hidden in the house! *LOL*
Lol - when my neighbors moved in a somewhat hurry, they also got a roll off, which you could see into from our back deck. I remember seeing a car seat or high chair in it as it filled up (kids were in their 20s at the time) and got a chuckle. It's incredible what we hold onto as humans.

Lol - when my neighbors moved in a somewhat hurry, they also got a roll off, which you could see into from our back deck. I remember seeing a car seat or high chair in it as it filled up (kids were in their 20s at the time) and got a chuckle. It's incredible what we hold onto as humans.
I just went looking for a photo but in my photo delete campaign I deleted it. Yes, it was a roll off! I still cant believe it.

Hotmail for my personal email. I've had it forever. Free.
Outlook more recently for business-y stuff like banking, doctors, etc. I think this is part of my 365 subscription?
Yahoo for junk like craigslist correspondence and whatnot. Another one I've had forever. Free.
Gmail that I never use because all the cool kids were using it back then, and I signed up just to get my name before someone else grabbed it. I need it for logging into my Chromebook but I don't actually use Gmail mail for anything. Gmail's format kinda sucks IMHO. Good thing it's free.

I've been wondering for years about the difference between Hotmail and Outlook. IIRC, when Outlook was introduced, Microsoft made it sound like your Hotmail address and mailbox were really Outlook aliases, but how it's displayed in Outlook (the mail program) makes it seem like Outlook is the alias. And my Hotmail address is definitely my Microsoft account ID name. Guess it really doesn't matter since it works.

I started off in life with a free email. Now I own my own domain and it comes with Email.

I figure, from a privacy standpoint, paid email is much better than "free" email. So I have my own website to circumvent censorship to my friends.
I never use the ISP free email, that goes by by if you move.
My website is on the "dark web" and is not searchable. I can make as many Email accounts I want, with full control.

I started with an email that you had to use a floppy disk to access. It was on the internet but not web based. It was pretty popular but I can't remember its name. Then I went to Hotmail, then Yahoo!, then Gmail. Yahoo! kicked me out for reasons they wouldn't explain. When I signed up for Gmail it was fairly new and you had to get an invitation from someone already using Gmail.

I split mine between a Gmail account that I've had since near the beginning of Gmail, and one that my brother and I split that hosts our family domain. That email account has something like 80 aliases of mine. I set up a specific email address for every bank/business I deal with. If that email address gets spam I can kill it, complain to that business and issue a new one without having any effect on my other accounts.

So I have a bunch of email addy's that are

[email protected] or
[email protected]

etc.

Gmail, when I run out of storage I make a new account and use it for old photos
FYI

"Starting later this year, if a Google Account has not been used or signed into for at least 2 years, we may delete the account and its contents – including content within Google Workspace (Gmail, Docs, Drive, Meet, Calendar) and Google Photos."

I use ProtonMail for important email (financial) and GMAIL for the rest. ProtonMail is very secure and private. Swiss based and follows Swiss privacy laws. ProtonMail has free and paid versions.

Back