Harbor Freight(Pittsburgh) compact tire inflator

Had to use my HarborFreight Pittsburgh tire inflator to fill my leaking tire(225-55-17). It took the tire from ~15 psi to ~40 psi in the matter of minutes. I had to let some air out of the tire to more closely match the other. Yes the tire is now fixed. (y)

This is the same tire inflator that PF had tested and gave a good rating. I paid $28 after coupon/tax a couple of yrs ago. I am very happy with this unit/results as it worked fast and the gauge was very accurate compared with my tire pressure gauge(pencil type).

I love the carrying case and the compact size with very good quality for the money thus far. This isn't the first time I've used this tire inflator. I have used it to test it out on several tires(225-70-15) and it worked as

I bought 2 of those. I keep one in each vehicle. From the reviews I've read pertaining to that unit, is it does NOT have a plastic gear driven system to turn the compressor. The compressor is a direct drive off the motor itself.

The drive system is usually what fails on a LOT of these type of units.

Very interesting, thanks! ^^^ (y)
I realize my quick review is just that; quick. But, I thankfully don't use it very often and sometimes I only plug it into the port in the car just to make sure it is working prior to taking a trip. However when I have used it, it does impress.

I have a different brand in each car in my signature.
A 40 year old Interdynamics brand in the Firebird.
A Cambell-Hausfeld in my daughter's Civic in my sig.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks! ^^^ (y)
I realize my quick review is just that; quick. But, I thankfully don't use it very often and sometimes I only plug in into the port in the car just to make sure it is working prior to taking a trip. However when I have used it, it does impress.

I have a different brand in each car in my signature.
A 40 year old Interdynamics brand in the Firebird.
A Cambell-Hausfeld in my daughter's Civic in my sig.

Project Farm did a good evaluation of them a while back. The Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh) unit was rated pretty good overall.

I bought a HF Mod. # 69284 and like it alot. It sounds solid and feels (weighs) like it's not all plastic junk.
My motivation was needing one for a while and deciding never again to borrow a neighbor's.
I like being able to "top off" a vehicle's tires without having to move it to my garage -which involves moving my vehicle too.

Yup, I did refer to Project Farm in my initial post(PF). The PF review, availability & price/value that I was able to buy it for were the determining factors. Are there better units? Absolutely!

I trust PF’s reviews/testing more than the HF‘s review section. I like the compact size, carrying pouch, weight of the unit, quietness speed to fill, accuracy of the PSI gauge, screw onto valve stem(not clamp on) & more.

Last edited:
Had to use my HarborFreight Pittsburgh tire inflator to fill my leaking tire(225-55-17). It took the tire from ~15 psi to ~40 psi in the matter of minutes. I had to let some air out of the tire to more closely match the other. Yes the tire is now fixed. (y)
Umm.....If you had a leak, adding air is just a temporary fix until you find the source of the leak and fix THAT.

CharBaby, do you have a spare tire or depend on the compressor and sealant?
I also have the HF compressor and thought it was well made.

I ended up getting a full size spare tire and decommissioned my HF compressor.

I also bought a Ryobi tankless compressor (120V) that I use in the Fall/Winter.
You set the PSI and it shuts itself off.

CharBaby, do you have a spare tire or depend on the compressor and sealant?
I also have the HF compressor and thought it was well made.

I ended up getting a full size spare tire and decommissioned my HF compressor.

I also bought a Ryobi tankless compressor (120V) that I use in the Fall/Winter.
You set the PSI and it shuts itself off.
Yes, I have the factory space saver (SSS). But, I also have 2 full sets of tires(8 tires-winter/summer). Thus I can carry around another tire when on a long trip just in case I have a blowout and just want to finish my trip and fix or replace the damaged tire when we return home at my convenience. I carry the tire inflator along with a full tire plug kit not only for myself but maybe to help out someone in need.

I also have a 30 gallon air compressor in my garage for my pneumatic tools. In addition I carry in my vehicles, some important size tools for emergencies. Not so many tools that I could do major work on my car while on a trip/vacation/holiday as my vehicles are readied and in top shape prior to my travel.

Last edited:
Purchased the inflator available at Walmart . Keep it in car . Haven't used it .
That’s right oldie. “Better to have it and not need it rather than to need it and not have it”. Even if it’s to help someone other than ourselves.

This is the same tire inflator that PF had tested and gave a good rating. I paid $28 after coupon/tax a couple of yrs ago. I am very happy with this unit/results as it worked fast and the gauge was very accurate compared with my tire pressure gauge(pencil type).

I love the carrying case and the compact size with very good quality for the money thus far. This isn't the first time I've used this tire inflator. I have used it to test it out on several tires(225-70-15) and it worked as
I have one of these in my car, along with an Amazon lithium car jumper battery pack. I’ve used them both extensively, both work really well. The battery pack has an adapter for a 12v cigarette adapter so I can use it anywhere. Funny thing is I’ve used it on everyone else’s cars except my own.

Back