$30 Harbor Freight Tire inflator / compressor Pittsburgh Automotive

I have a few 12V compressors, as suypplied by FCA, Mitsubishi and hyunday. The FCA and mitsubishi ones are limited to 60 psi, which is enough for my car, I fitted the hose from a hyundai one with a deflator on it aswell. The gauge is more detailed than a 0-160 psi gauge aswell, so with those 2 combined I can set the pressure fairly accurately on all 4 wheels. The compreesors seem to come in 10A and 15A versions depending on the car they came with. 10A does me fine.

I also lubed up the cylinder and gears with 5000 cst silicon grease.

I've had that exact same model for a couple of years now and I've had the exact opposite luck that you've had. The wiring between the 12V plugin and the base of the unit has shredded the insulation and shows lots of bare wires. The last few times I used it, I had to make sure the bare wires didn't touch each other or the fuse in the car would blow. However, the compressor itself actually held up fairly well.

Just use caution with this tire inflator. It will blow the fuse or burn out the wires behind the 12V outlet on many newer cars. It happened on my Toyota and Subaru. If you read the manual it actually warns you about this (whoops). They actually say that you are supposed to turn the inflation and then connect the hose to the tire.

Just use caution with this tire inflator. It will blow the fuse or burn out the wires behind the 12V outlet on many newer cars. It happened on my Toyota and Subaru. If you read the manual it actually warns you about this (whoops). They actually say that you are supposed to turn the inflation and then connect the hose to the tire.
I think all the inflators say that. Turn on before attaching so it's not "dead heading". I explained that to my kids and wife.

You can also get a 12v socket with alligator clamps. Lots of odd names and range from 16AWG to 12AWG supposedly as well as different lengths and 15A fuses.

Thanks, now I need to go buy 6 of those. o_O

Back