Got the Hot Rod "Bug" What do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Dunno what you guys are on about Subarus being slow.

In my local car club in Denver there were over a dozen wrx and sti that with a turbo+tune + bolt one would do mid 11s easily all day at 6000ft.

My last 2 daily drivers would eat an ss sedan. People have fast cars now a days. A stock ss sedan is quick but with all these kids with money running around woth 500whp it's not unrealistic to get bopped on the street in an ss by a stock looking Subaru.

My 400whp mazdaspeed6 and my 450whp vortech g35 would walk away from an ss sedan and both cars were "slow" amongst my club.

Just sharing my experience. Here in VA I have already seen and talked with the owners of 2 boosted k series hondas that go 11s and are daily driven. There are FAST cars out there waiting to gobble you up of you go looking for races.

Again no one mods SSs? You are comparing modified to stock. You need to head over the SS Section of Facebook there are guys running 10's with the LSA conversion. You want to compare modified to modified or stock to stock? Pick one.

Your logic is flawed. The typical ricer argument...My modified. Great. My Caprice and WS6 are too.

And you are still driving a no options having Honda.

That's not my argument. I'm speaking about the excited feeling you get when getting a new car and having that feeling crushed by some kid in a turbo 4 banger before you ever considered modifying the car. I know well and good there are plenty of big hp ss sedan out there.

I've owned v8s slow and fast. From 150hp turds to 800whp ls turbo cars. Someone out there always has something faster.

I was more commenting on the term "hot rodding" and how I didn't feel a 350-375 whp car fits that term. All my opinion.

Also, some people love the no options honda thing. Makes it even sweeter when you whack some $50k car on the highway in your bucket of bolts. Obviously this feeling goes both ways, but it's a feeling many people love. I loved this feeling in my gutted 800whp foxbody. Dumping on Porsches and Ferraris was amazingly fun.

Last edited:
That's not my argument. I'm speaking about the excited feeling you get when getting a new car and having that feeling crushed by some kid in a turbo 4 banger before you ever considered modifying the car. I know well and good there are plenty of big hp ss sedan out there.

I've owned v8s slow and fast. From 150hp turds to 800whp ls turbo cars. Someone out there always has something faster.

I was more commenting on the term "hot rodding" and how I didn't feel a 350-375 whp car fits that term. All my opinion.

Ok, makes more sense now. I agree there is always someone faster, but even here in the PACNORWEST with Pacific Raceways, Bremerton Raceway, and few other all within 35mins to within an hour of each other there are not a lot of 11 daily drive cars driving around.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Ok, makes more sense now. I agree there is always someone faster, but even here in the PACNORWEST with Pacific Raceways, Bremerton Raceway, and few other all within 35mins to within an hour of each other there are not a lot of 11 daily drive cars driving around.

It's definitely different everywhere. Thats for sure. In Denver I worked in the tech center and at my company there were multiple cars with 4 digits of horsepower in my parking lot on any given day. No vehicle inspections and emissions you can pay your way out of means people drive anything on the street. If you YouTube Denver street racing you'll see what I mean. Kids making tons of money living outside the city for pennies driving 1000hp cars is not uncommon. We also got a lot of the Texas people with big hp cars coming to play. My 800whp fox was one of the slower cars at most of the "street racing scene" meets.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I remember when low 14's was considered quick.

Yep, anymore 13's is slow.
frown.gif

Exactly; my 2er runs 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds. It's almost fast.

I have a little problem with any OEM car being called a Hot Rod ... OK, I'm old school - but a Hot Rod is built by you using used pieces and ingenuity. It ain't something you can buy (OK someones unfinished rod might qualify, as long as you finish it ...).

Hot cars I get, Souped-up sedans I get. Lord knows I've had my share. Almost race cars on the street, yeah been there. But if you can buy it off the show-room floor, it ain't a hot rod to me ...

That is IMO not a Hot Rod.

This is a Hot Rod.

13-_1932-Ford-McGee-Roadster-800x533.jpg

But that SS is a nice fast car, go for it if that is what you want.

Last edited:
Strange that guys here compare the SS Sedan to moded Subies and Hondas when the Auto Press always compares the SS to the BMW M5. Even at 50 grand the SS gets very favorable reviews , so now selling at $39,000, it is a great buy.

Compare the 58" of rear seat hip room in the SS to a WRX or do an 800 mile day in that Subie with the Wife, 2 teenagers a dog and 8 suitcases...Zero to Sixty will be the last thing on your mind at trips end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Strange that guys here compare the SS Sedan to moded Subies and Hondas when the Auto Press always compares the SS to the BMW M5. Even at 50 grand the SS gets very favorable reviews , so now selling at $39,000, it is a great buy.

Compare the 58" of rear seat hip room in the SS to a WRX or do an 800 mile day in that Subie with the Wife, 2 teenagers a dog and 8 suitcases...Zero to Sixty will be the last thing on your mind at trips end.

This all day long.

You can get a lightly used one for 35k, making it the best sedan under 36k you can buy right now. These look sharp in person, much classier than the Camaro which is more of a kids car. My next car will be a black SS with a 6 speed.

Well, my US $0.02, fwiw, probably US $0.02.

When the Holden's are gone, they're gone. If any more Holden's are ever brought over here, and it's unlikely since they sell poorly here when GM tries, they will have 6G in the VIN, but they won't really be Holden's. They're fire saleing them now to get shed of them, you might be able to wait a bit and they will be a bit cheaper, but the selection will be even more limited than it is now. Probably just black and white.

When they killed Pontiac and fire saled the last of those cars, I waffled between a Solstice and a G8 GXP, which were insanely cheap at that time, for the few that were left. I bought the Solstice, don't regret it, but in hindsight, I wish I had just bought both.

Maybe you can get a lightly used one at some point in the future. Maybe. They've never been brought over in any big numbers, so the available pool is small to start with, and it will get smaller as they are put around trees and telephone poles. The problem with cars like this is they mark them down cheap, any kid with a pulse and a job can get them, and they mod them and rag them out and race ricers and hit immovable objects with them because all they've ever driven is FWD garbage. Getting an adult owned one may not be that easy.

There is always the issue of body parts in the future. I don't know how much the Chevy differs from the Holden, or how many of those parts they ran for spares. The Pontiacs had quite specific body parts, and Holden used most of those up in a special edition run of cars for their home market

Anyway, that's my $0.02. And who gives a rat's rear end what the peanut gallery thinks. It will be your car, not some anonymous internet critic's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back