Goofed on oil filter model - Is it okay?

As the title says I was changing the oil & filter on my 2013 Acura RDX. I have a bunch of filters for different vehicles and thought I grabbed one for the RDX, but I think it was for an Accord. The filter in question was a Supertech MP7317. I don't see any leaks and the filter spun on okay (threads, etc). I think I'm going to switch it out, but how urgent should I make this?

I think it’s ok. I noticed a maxima filter fit my moms Acura but I decided to use the right one. My opinion is if no leaks it’s ok….

I’ve run the wrong filter a few times on my LS3 before I discovered my mistake. I never worried too much about it because, what was done was done. Likely didn’t filter as well as the proper part number but oh well. 🤷‍♂️

7317 is likely the correct filter for nearly any honda, 6607 is the shorter version common on Nissans, some manufacturers consolidate the 7317 numbers to the smaller 6607 for reduced filters.

If you go get a filter at Linda it will be a 7317 size filter.

"IF" the WM filter look up shows the 6607 for ST, that is not the spec application for the 2013 Acura RDX. As mentioned, sometimes filter look up especially for jobber/quick lube filters will consolidate and downsize to the 6607. 'I'm' unaware of any Honda that specs the shorty 6607.

Anyway, the MP7317 is the correct filter application. It is also the equivalent application of the Wix 57356.

That Supertech MP7317 is a fine filter for your Acura and rated at 20k. Have used that same filter before on my Acura in signature for thousands of miles --- with zero issues.

As the title says I was changing the oil & filter on my 2013 Acura RDX. I have a bunch of filters for different vehicles and thought I grabbed one for the RDX, but I think it was for an Accord. The filter in question was a Supertech MP7317. I don't see any leaks and the filter spun on okay (threads, etc). I think I'm going to switch it out, but how urgent should I make this?
Randy you have the right filter . . . please keep it on your car. 👍 :) The MP7317 is a 20,000 mile rated oil filter so you've got the excellent one by Supertech. The ST6607 is the white can 10,000 rated filter.

I think I've used just about every filter size you can on a Honda, from the really old school 3950 size:

1692490330636.jpg

To the little bitty ones. Creeping up on 280k on my 2003 and it runs just about as good as it did when I bought it brand new. To this day I use an 'oversized' filter on my 2 J-series cars (3593a sized).

You'll be just fine. Leave it on there and roll with it.

Back