Good thing this happened in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Drum brakes stop trucks fine in the United States.
Disc brakes would never work in big trucks coming down mountains with so much weight.

Lucky there are no mountains in Europe then
smile.gif

I don't know how you can claim the stopping power of disk brakes would be better.
We at one time or another have seen a truck lock up the wheels and slide. Not enough rubber contacts the road to stop the loaded weight on 18 wheelers. It's not the inability if the brakes.
What about downhill grades where you have to ride the brakes down the hill the entire time. It's hard enough not to get drum brakes cool, I think disc brakes would be glowing by the bottom.
A car and big truck are too different animals and so are the trucks in Europe.
Trucks drive as far as you can see because all stops are planned.

Yes a empty Triaxle truck can outperform and out manuever a stock family sedan styke car.
Not a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini but a Ford Taurus or Impala.
It's the way the suspension is hooked under the wheels, amount of rubber on the ground.
I have over a million miles in a Triaxle and I have of course drove cars and pickups.
My last truck was a 1998 Ford Louisville with a 525 Cummins and I had no problem out accelerating or out manuevering cars. I was quite confident to take curves over 70 that I would not in a car.
Top speed in the truck was around 110.
Anyone that ever drove a Triaxle will tell you they corner and they stop like they are on rails empty. Loaded, although they have improved is totally different. Scary and they don't stop nearly as well as a 18 due to weight distribution of the weight.
They are about impossible to roll over empty and incredible off road machines as well.
I wouldn't take a dirt bike down in the pits I crawled out of with 25+ ton on my back.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
In America they would be dead because the driver would've been texting and never even touched the brakes until 3 miles further down the road.

Woah, Woah

Let's back down a bit:

What happen with teaching the kids how to safely cross the road???

Like, look, listen, check left right couple times, then cross if safe?

They teach me this in a communist east Europe country 35 year ago....

"Woah, Woah" nothing .... Regardless of what you say about the children in this situation, the responsibility lies with the adult drivers to drive safely/defensively and look out for children who don't always use good judgement no matter what they have been taught. In the USA, if a driver hits a child, he's going to be in some major trouble as a result. Moreover, it would be very hard to deal with running into a kid on the road. I know it would be for me ... I would have a hard time living with that.

The lead kid is a Darwin poster boy, there is no other way to describe it. The second one was a little smarter not to fully commit to the left lane.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
In America they would be dead because the driver would've been texting and never even touched the brakes until 3 miles further down the road.

Woah, Woah

Let's back down a bit:

What happen with teaching the kids how to safely cross the road???

Like, look, listen, check left right couple times, then cross if safe?

They teach me this in a communist east Europe country 35 year ago....

"Woah, Woah" nothing .... Regardless of what you say about the children in this situation, the responsibility lies with the adult drivers to drive safely/defensively and look out for children who don't always use good judgement no matter what they have been taught. In the USA, if a driver hits a child, he's going to be in some major trouble as a result. Moreover, it would be very hard to deal with running into a kid on the road. I know it would be for me ... I would have a hard time living with that.

Responsibility does not bring back a dead person...

I witness 2 accidents with death resulting (1 person flew 25 meters/80-90 feet trough the air) and at age 5 I was almost the Darwin award boy....I'm alive because of one extra step.

News alert! - kids get run over on occasion in the US. Sometimes, they dart out in traffic from a spot where no one would expect kids to be. When this happens, as long as the driver was not driving recklessly and there was absolutely nothing else that a responsible driver could have done -- there are no arrests, no jail time and no burnings at the stake. It is a truly tragic accident.

I don't know how you can claim the stopping power of disk brakes would be better.
We at one time or another have seen a truck lock up the wheels and slide. Not enough rubber contacts the road to stop the loaded weight on 18 wheelers. It's not the inability if the brakes.
What about downhill grades where you have to ride the brakes down the hill the entire time. It's hard enough not to get drum brakes cool, I think disc brakes would be glowing by the bottom.

Drum brakes get hot, they expand away from the linings...disks don't.
Drum brakes rely on an external adjustment...disk brakes don't.
Not every drum system on you (our) roads are adjusted correctly, meaning that because they "CAN" do a good job, they are often less than efficient.

Look, I know that the big three mounted a scare campaign against the Euro imports in the '60s, as their disk braking systems made them dangerous obstacles in an environment of behemouths with 10" drum brakes, but their arguments then didn't make sense either.

Are you serious? All European trucks ( and I'm sorry, but they are 30 years ahead in technology compared with the US relics) are equipped with all 4 brake discs. I assure you they are massively better than drums.

Drum brakes stop trucks fine in the United States.
Disc brakes would never work in big trucks coming down mountains with so much weight.
Engine brakes are better than ever but Triaxles just don't stop due to the load being carried on the wheels with the forward motion too much weight to lock the tires. It would either rip the tires loose or break the nuts.
A 18 wheeler will lock the tires up, a Triaxle not unless its empty.
Regardless we don't know if this truck was empty or not.
A empty truck will outmaneveur a car.
https://www.google.hr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DEKa97RYxE_Q&ved=0ahUKEwigwIT8j7_XAhVZFMAKHe3BAFgQwqsBCCYwAA&usg=AOvVaw2nHYR2gaGJpUm5-ZYU4PMP

21st century braking system.

Last edited:
I am telling you you would boil the brake fluid on a Triaxle loaded with ligs or coal. Those trucks are miniature in Europe to here.
I am curious to how much weight they carry. Anytime you see a truck over there that hauls serious weight it has a gazillion wheels.
I've had over a 100,000 gross weight on a Triaxle. I've seen guys carry a 120,000 lbs.
Legal weight in PA was 73,280 but the portable scales allowed 75,400. The point is trucks handled that much weight (illegally) but it was done regularly. I d be surprised if those tankers carry 60,000 lbs gross.

I am telling you you would boil the brake fluid on a Triaxle loaded with ligs or coal. Those trucks are miniature in Europe to here.
I am curious to how much weight they carry. Anytime you see a truck over there that hauls serious weight it has a gazillion wheels.
I've had over a 100,000 gross weight on a Triaxle. I've seen guys carry a 120,000 lbs.
Legal weight in PA was 73,280 but the portable scales allowed 75,400. The point is trucks handled that much weight (illegally) but it was done regularly. I d be surprised if those tankers carry 60,000 lbs gross.

Boiling brake fluid in an air brake system......tell me how that works!
crazy2.gif

I'm not a trucker per se, but I do have a Class A CDL. I'm pretty sure Air Disc Brakes are standard on most (all?) new class 8 trucks sold in the USA. Why are they standard?, because they offer better performance than drums.

Maybe I'll take the carbon ceramic disc brakes off my sports car, and install drums..
crackmeup2.gif

90% of all new class 8 trucks have drum brakes, though disc brakes are slowly closing the gap.

As I said, I'm not a trucker. But most of the manufacturers do claim that Air Disc Brakes are standard on their new class 8 trucks.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: pbm
Why doesn't the school bus have 'STOP' signs like here?....especially on a main road like that.
If that was my son....and he was killed...I wouldn't be very happy with the school bus driver.

Because it is not a school bus.

I realize now that it's not a 'school bus' and that does change how I think....I read that it was a "euro school bus" in the OP and felt that the driver should have known that some of those kids cross the road....I can't expect a non school bus driver to know that.
I also blame the kid who seems old enough to know better.
As I watch the video again, I do think the truck driver should have been more cautious after seeing the bus had just taken off from a stop.

Originally Posted By: supton

I always thought disc was better at shedding heat?

Drum brakes have more surface area and , by design, they can usually put out more stopping force. They will draw tighter depending on the direction you are moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back