An OMG Moment

This happened a couple days ago in Ohio. The truck lost its brakes as it was fast approaching a stopped school bus picking up kids. The truck driver deserves credit for avoiding a collision, the bus driver for staying put which gave the truck space to pass by and the pick up truck driver for backing up into the car behind him which also gave needed space for the truck to pass by at 40-45mph.

Glad no one was hurt or killed. I wonder if he could have pulled the red trailer brake valve inside the cab. If his blue trailer service airline came off pulling the red valve will cut off air to the trailer brakes and springs will set the trailer parking brake. I wonder if the trucks foot valve gave out.

Took a few years off that trucker’s life probably. I wonder if this stretch of road is dangerous for truckers generally (long steep grade), or if this was a one off situation with the brakes?

Last edited:
Who is going to pay for the damage to the back of the pickup and or to the front of the car he backed into? The pickup owners insurance or the trucking companies insurance? The pickup owners insurance could say he willfully backed up into that car so it's not covered.

Who is going to pay for the damage to the back of the pickup and or to the front of the car he backed into? The pickup owners insurance or the trucking companies insurance? The pickup owners insurance could say he willfully backed up into that car so it's not covered.
Insurance will of course cover it. There's not one insurer who would get away with not paying a claim on damages incurred during a life or death situation such as this.

Thinking they will find several areas of concern when it goes for a mechanical inspection.
As well as a lack of proper trip inspections by the driver.
Truck brakes don't just fail on an correctly maintained, and driver inspected commercial vehicle.

On the contrary, insurance companies try to get out of paying as often as possible. The question remains, WHOSE insurance will pay?
I didn't say try, I said would get away with not paying. As far as who? I leave that up to the insurance companies to figure out.

The insurance companies will work it out.

Insurance will of course cover it. There's not one insurer who would get away with not paying a claim on damages incurred during a life or death situation such as this.
This is no different from swerving into a parked car in order to avoid a collision. The drive chose the option he thought safest to him in the short seconds of time he had to make a decision. My wife swerved into a utility pole to avoid rear ending another car on an icy road. She chose what she thought was the safest option under the conditions. Insurance sees these things every day. The truck was out of control and broke the law.

If there is collision coverage then fault doesn’t matter, but subrogation between companies and liability is another issue.

If I was the guy in the pickup truck I would have taken a quick right turn into that driveway right in front of the truck, and fast !

I was thinking the same, even the lawn. The car behind him probably had no idea what was happening between the bus and pickup blocking the view.

On the contrary, insurance companies try to get out of paying as often as possible. The question remains, WHOSE insurance will pay?
I did flooring claims for USAA and they told me it didn't matter what causes the damage,neglect,stupidity etc they paid the claim.
Now this was not auto claims but flooring claims.

Back