Good thing this happened in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
gman2304 said:
In the U.S. school buses have a front stop arm that requires the kids to walk well out in front of the bus so the bus driver can see them cross. Only 4 small warning lights on the back of the bus. In the U.S. school buses have huge amber and red flashing lights front and back. The red car goes by the bus while the kids are exiting the bus, and why are the kids crossing the road BEHIND the bus? Several potentially deadly scenarios happening here, and yes the truck should have slowed when approaching the stopped bus.

But this is Norway. It could be almost anywhere in the Western World outside North America. Many countries don't have dedicated school buses. I think your system is laudable and should be adopted everywhere. But it isn't, perhaps when enough kids have been killed something will be done.

Claud.

The truck driver could see well ahead of time children running out of the bus down the road. Arms and signals are nice but only when people are paying attention to situations. The truck should have slowed way down at the least. In case a child runs out in front of him from behind the bus. Or from in front of the bus. The bus was doing the same as public busses everywhere do all day every day.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The truck driver could see well ahead of time children running out of the bus down the road.

No, there was a bus in the line of sight. The same reason the kids didn't see the truck (if they were even looking).

If this were a US school bus, and the kids were consistently being let off and then crossing the road (behind the bus) right as the bus is leaving, the school district would get sued. Plenty of fault to go around here from dumb kids, bus driver, to truck driver who is barrelling into a bus stop just as the bus is leaving. If this is just a regular city bus then it all falls on the kids crossing safely on their own.

These kids made the cardinal mistake of crossing from behind the bus instead of waiting for the bus to move on.

In the sixties I was already a crosswalk guard at the grade school I went to when I was their age. How to cross the street was first taught by my parents very early on. Kindergarten time. Schools taught safety as well.

That one kid will need new pants. Thank God he made it just by the skin of his teeth. He will never forget that moment as will the others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Why doesn't the school bus have 'STOP' signs like here?....especially on a main road like that.
If that was my son....and he was killed...I wouldn't be very happy with the school bus driver.

Because it is not a school bus.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think in most European countries, the kids walk or take public transportation. They don't use a school bus.

Drum brakes on trucks here can stop quite well.

+1. On anything other than max load (80~100K) a properly adjusted drum brake air system will stop faster than most passenger cars. It's right in the drivers handbook from DMV - watch out for trucks stopping fast. There's a lot of rubber on the ground and the wheels can be locked, so how much more breaking do you need ...

Granted, modern ABS systems for trucks help, but they whoa down quick, if need be
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
That one kid will need new pants... He will never forget that moment as will the others.

NO and NO!
look at his head/where he looks: he didn't check anything, he just run, and... because children short term memory....

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think in most European countries, the kids walk or take public transportation. They don't use a school bus.

Drum brakes on trucks here can stop quite well.

+1. On anything other than max load (80~100K) a properly adjusted drum brake air system will stop faster than most passenger cars. It's right in the drivers handbook from DMV - watch out for trucks stopping fast. There's a lot of rubber on the ground and the wheels can be locked, so how much more breaking do you need ...

Granted, modern ABS systems for trucks help, but they whoa down quick, if need be
laugh.gif

As an aside, the only question I missed when I took the written test for my M/C license was stopping distances for cars and bikes.

At the time, the state of Illinois still thought bikes and cars took the same stopping distance.

Of course, it's good to plan, and not all riders are the same. But the question was stated such that motorcycles have the same stopping distance as cars, true or false. Technically false, as bikes can stop faster. But IL thought it was true because most RIDERS cannot use the full capabilities of their bikes.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The truck driver could see well ahead of time children running out of the bus down the road.

No, there was a bus in the line of sight. The same reason the kids didn't see the truck (if they were even looking).

The kids got off to the right, and the truck driver could plainly see this as he approached, because the road is curving. The truck wasn't going very fast it seems, luckily, and the little girl was even luckier. Children don't always have good judgement, no matter what they learn, and the adult driver has the responsibility and license to drive defensively.

Wow..when growing up during the 60's & 70's I was schooled in "Stop. Look. Listen". Never challenge a car. Wait. Then RUN...FAST.

FF to today: Adults & kids blindly walking slowly across intersections without even stoping, much less looking both ways...txtng, on the phone..totally self-absorbed and clueless.

Very dangerous!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
txtng, on the phone..totally self-absorbed and clueless.

And drivers doing the above as well, which makes it even more dangerous.

Drum brakes stop trucks fine in the United States.
Disc brakes would never work in big trucks coming down mountains with so much weight.
Engine brakes are better than ever but Triaxles just don't stop due to the load being carried on the wheels with the forward motion too much weight to lock the tires. It would either rip the tires loose or break the nuts.
A 18 wheeler will lock the tires up, a Triaxle not unless its empty.
Regardless we don't know if this truck was empty or not.
A empty truck will outmaneveur a car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Disc brakes would never work in big trucks coming down mountains with so much weight.

I always thought disc was better at shedding heat?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Uneducated immigrants not use to such things found in western culture.

English much ???

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Uneducated immigrants not use to such things found in western culture.

English much ???

Knowledge of English is not required for non-immigrants.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

A empty truck will outmaneveur a car.

Huh?
Huh x 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back