Genuine Toyota or aftermarket brake pads

This isn’t true for any Toyota parts. They don’t just slap a sticker on there. The parts are made to Toyotas standard in the same factory different quality Parts are made. Toyota overseas the production of their genuine parts. Same reason why denso oil filters be oem Toyota denso filters are not the same thing. The list goes on and on
The standard is really, really not that high!

Going to change the pads in my Camry. Just over 100k miles. Pads have a little life left in them but I'm working from home until at least the end of March and probably longer and the golf courses are starting to close near me. I'll have time to do this job so might was well knock it out.

Genuine Toyota pads and rotor and shim kit will cost me about $225 delivered. Raybestos pads and rotors with included hardware will cost about $105. Is genuine Toyota worth the extra cost?

I'd really like to change the pads/rotors and not have to worry about them for another 100k miles.
I have always used Honda OEM pads on all of my Honda's and do it myself.. Never ever had an issue and I know that they will fit right the first time...

I have never had a good experience with any aftermarket brake on Toyotas. In my experience I have found no brake pad (never tried performance types) to match the lack of noise, longevity, and performance of Toyota pads. Many mechanics have tried to convince me otherwise but in all honesty I have disproven the majority of them.

Have you tried Akebono ProAct?

I have never had a good experience with any aftermarket brake on Toyotas. In my experience I have found no brake pad (never tried performance types) to match the lack of noise, longevity, and performance of Toyota pads. Many mechanics have tried to convince me otherwise but in all honesty I have disproven the majority of them.

i have done hawk hpcs with ebcs rotors. The amount of brake dust was unbearable. Id stick to ceramic like akebonos or even your auto parts special if im doing diy with good compromise in terms of performance and dust. If its all about performance, id avoid ceramics and get some ebc rotors dimpled and slotted. Id also make sure the brake claliper and hardware are good.

If not diying, whatever the mechanic wants to run. Im not going to ask, but i am going to bring it in if anything isnt right.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of trying out Power Stop Z23 Pads/Rotors to get a feel for them. I'm still on my factory set and the stopping power and distance isn't as good it used to be, no screeching yet and the pad is nearly halfway worn down over the years of endless highway driving and offramp braking.

i have done hawk hpcs with ebcs rotors. The amount of brake dust was unbearable. Id stick to ceramic like akebonos or even your auto parts special if im doing diy with good compromise in terms of performance and dust. If its all about performance, id avoid ceramics and get some ebc rotors dimpled and slotted. Id also make sure the brake claliper and hardware are good.

If not diying, whatever the mechanic wants to run. Im not going to ask, but i am going to bring it in if anything isnt right.
Toyota pads are OK. Ceramic, gentle etc. no hint of performance , but, whatever. However, EBC rotors are of much higher quality. I would always go ENC rotors, plain, instead of OE Toyota.

I have always used Honda OEM pads on all of my Honda's and do it myself.. Never ever had an issue and I know that they will fit right the first time...
My '15 accord brakes were garbage compared to driving another honda model, replaced with ebc rotors and hawk pads- squeeks a little occasionally- but faar better braking while keeping oem footprint.

My '15 accord brakes were garbage compared to driving another honda model, replaced with ebc rotors and hawk pads- squeeks a little occasionally- but faar better braking while keeping oem footprint.
I use nothing but oem honda pads and brakes were always good for me..I guess its all in the way you drive....I will usually get over 70000 miles on the front pads on all of the Honda's I have owned....that good enough for me....

Reminder, Toyota dealers have 2 grades of brake pads. Both are called OEM. The cheaper grade is to compete with "most"aftermarket pads. The expensive ones are like what came on your Toyota/Lexus. The cheaper Toyota pads are about 60% of the more expensive brake pads. Well, at least for my cars. If I remember correctly, the cheaper parts in the Toyota line have either an "A" or a "Z" somewher in the part number. I could be wrong as I am working from an old memory box.

Reminder, Toyota dealers have 2 grades of brake pads. Both are called OEM. The cheaper grade is to compete with "most"aftermarket pads. The expensive ones are like what came on your Toyota/Lexus. The cheaper Toyota pads are about 60% of the more expensive brake pads. Well, at least for my cars. If I remember correctly, the cheaper parts in the Toyota line have either an "A" or a "Z" somewher in the part number. I could be wrong as I am working from an old memory box.
I have heard of this and I’m not doubting you or saying your wrong, but in my 7 years of buying Toyota oem parts I’ve never experienced this or seen an option for this. Parts site on Toyota.com always just show my part and that part only. How can I see this? Maybe this only applies to things like brake pads and rotors. I find it hard to believe they do this for starters, belts, master cylinders etc

Back