VW Brake Pads - Left, Right, Inner Outer

I replaced the front brake pads and rotors on my Tiguan with Brembo rotors and Pagid pads. The new pads were rattling in the holder and after looking into it I ended up taking them out and buying VW OEM (TRW/Jurid) pads from the dealer. They fit much better and do not rattle.

However, while I was looking over the new pads I noted that two of them were marked "AT" out by the ears, one was marked "AU" more to the inside and one was marked "AV" in the same place as the AU marking. At first Google was not yielding much but finally I found a VW Technical Tip "46-19-01TT - Front Brake Pad Installation Tip" where it explained that the AT pads are outside on both sides, the AU pad is the right inner pad and the AV pad is for the left inner. Also the marking changed for the 2020 models.

Anyway I had never seen this before and thought it was a bit unusual but maybe not.

TT 46-19-01 - Front Brake Pad Installation Tip (2053737)

IMG_5149.jpg

deleted. I didn't realize that you had concluded the proper location for the pads.

You'll notice the cutouts in the shims for the inner pads. The idea is to reduce the leading edge bite of the brake pad...for example, if we have a leading caliper (mounted forward of the spindle), the cutout will be on top. This is mostly for squealing/pad chatter issues. Before shims on pads were popular, some of the europeans used to put that cutout in the piston face, which then must be aligned properly when the caliper is assembled.

There have been other pads that were ground on a slight taper (Porsche 914 rear, several BMW models) and also some pads that use a rose clip to clip the pad into the piston with the rose clip offset a mm or so to preload the pad against the normally loaded end of the carrier / bracket to reduce the "clunk" on initial brake application after changing direction.

Lots of little details to solve problems...

As to your clunking noises....that was likely just aftermarket pads where whoever made the print blew it on the dimension and tolerance.

I replaced the front brake pads and rotors on my Tiguan with Brembo rotors and Pagid pads. The new pads were rattling in the holder and after looking into it I ended up taking them out and buying VW OEM (TRW/Jurid) pads from the dealer. They fit much better and do not rattle.

However, while I was looking over the new pads I noted that two of them were marked "AT" out by the ears, one was marked "AU" more to the inside and one was marked "AV" in the same place as the AU marking. At first Google was not yielding much but finally I found a VW Technical Tip "46-19-01TT - Front Brake Pad Installation Tip" where it explained that the AT pads are outside on both sides, the AU pad is the right inner pad and the AV pad is for the left inner. Also the marking changed for the 2020 models.

Anyway I had never seen this before and thought it was a bit unusual but maybe not.

View attachment 186832

That marking is unusual outside VW, but different pads (and directional) are not. Some pads have different shapes inside and out, and arrows to indicate forward direction, so you end up with 4 fixed locations for the pads.

I like TRW pads, I bet you will too

That marking is unusual outside VW, but different pads (and directional) are not. Some pads have different shapes inside and out, and arrows to indicate forward direction, so you end up with 4 fixed locations for the pads.

I like TRW pads, I bet you will too
TRW bumped quality last few years as they were absorbed by ZF. It is basically Jurid technology.

View attachment 186832
welcome to Germany, now sit down and pay attention Dummkopf. :)

This is now the norm across a lot of VAG pads,
They are addressing bigger issue with this. VW is in uncontrollable fiscal saving culture. Choice of suppliers or what they deliver is becoming issue. Good news is that for European manufacturers there is cottage industry of aftermarket solutions.
Brembo is delivering to the US models subpar rotors. Saving grace is generally good or oversized rotors, but on Atlas they have tendency to vibrate like Toyota or Honda do. ATE to the rescue.

What were the friction codes on both sets of pads?
Where were all of 'em made?
The first replacement pads (Hella/Pagid) are GF and are made in the UK. The replacement replacement VW pads (TRW/Jurid) appear to be FF in the photo and are made in China by Federal Mogul (Chongqing) Friction Materials Co.

As to your clunking noises....that was likely just aftermarket pads where whoever made the print blew it on the dimension and tolerance.
Yes that seems to be the issue. This is a Pagid pad, the VW/Jurid ones fit far better. Which was surprising to me since I used Pagid pads on my BMW for years with zero issues.

Last edited:
I wonder if someone measured with the shim fitted and miss reported it as without the shim so the overall length is just that little bit short.

Back