Genuine Toyota or aftermarket brake pads

I have heard of this and I’m not doubting you or saying your wrong, but in my 7 years of buying Toyota oem parts I’ve never experienced this or seen an option for this. Parts site on Toyota.com always just show my part and that part only. How can I see this? Maybe this only applies to things like brake pads and rotors. I find it hard to believe they do this for starters, belts, master cylinders etc
1708122718440.jpg

Reminder, Toyota dealers have 2 grades of brake pads. Both are called OEM. The cheaper grade is to compete with "most"aftermarket pads. The expensive ones are like what came on your Toyota/Lexus. The cheaper Toyota pads are about 60% of the more expensive brake pads. Well, at least for my cars. If I remember correctly, the cheaper parts in the Toyota line have either an "A" or a "Z" somewher in the part number. I could be wrong as I am working from an old memory box.
Lexus models have performance line made by Textar (Germany). Usually F models.

I have heard of this and I’m not doubting you or saying your wrong, but in my 7 years of buying Toyota oem parts I’ve never experienced this or seen an option for this. Parts site on Toyota.com always just show my part and that part only. How can I see this? Maybe this only applies to things like brake pads and rotors. I find it hard to believe they do this for starters, belts, master cylinders etc
I’ve personally only lived this with brake pads. The parts guy sold me “OEM” front pads for $60. I had purchased pads before for like $90 before. He assured me they were OEM. Came home did some research and that’s when I realized they were the economy line. They had to order the top tier pads as they didn’t stock them. The only other thing I’m aware of Toyota having 2 lines is the windshield wipers. This is where I learned to look for either an “A” or maybe “Z” in the part number as a sign of second tier Toyota parts.

I’ve personally only lived this with brake pads. The parts guy sold me “OEM” front pads for $60. I had purchased pads before for like $90 before. He assured me they were OEM. Came home did some research and that’s when I realized they were the economy line. They had to order the top tier pads as they didn’t stock them. The only other thing I’m aware of Toyota having 2 lines is the windshield wipers. This is where I learned to look for either an “A” or maybe “Z” in the part number as a sign of second tier Toyota parts.
Thanks for the info

IME Toyota rotors have a tendency (not a rule, a tendency) to warp prematurely. My own and friends of mine, those who drive a bit more aggressively. I generally swap Toyota rotors for non-OE when doing Toyota brakes.

IME Toyota rotors have a tendency (not a rule, a tendency) to warp prematurely. My own and friends of mine, those who drive a bit more aggressively. I generally swap Toyota rotors for non-OE when doing Toyota brakes.
This is usually on the bigger vehicles and rarely on the sedans.

AMD has a brief explaination regarding the two-tiered, OEM brake pad thing. I can barely (??) make out "ADVICS" on the ceramic pads:

Dynamic Friction 5000 I am on my 3rd Tundra they are picky with a brakes. These feel like stock. I have them on my wife’s 4Runner and my daughters Santa Fe. I have used Hawk, Rasbestos, and a few others. I am sold on these Dynamic 5000 pads and rotors.

Is genuine Toyota worth the extra cost?
No, their prices are ridiculous. Toyota uses quality parts, but not any better than you can get from most brake brands at lower price. That does not mean there won't be compromises if bottom feeding for cheapest pads you can find.

It might be different if this were a sports car or truck hauling loads down a mountain, but it's not.

I'd get Autozone lifetime warranty Duralast Gold ceramics (warranty covers wear too), and any major brand's upper tier rotors. Raybestos, Wagner, Centric, Bendix, Power Stop, Brembo, etc.

Back