Fram Ultra XG4386 10,000 miles CUT OPEN pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the filter. It was damage when it was cut open.

Interesting conclusion. Not sure how one would arrive at such based on the pics and information supplied. Considering the can was cut open at the base end highly unlikely it would have any effect on the dome end bypass shown. True, nothing wrong with the element itself, bypass not so much.

As for whether the defect had an effect on bypass psi, imo the psi is based the spring engagement of the four tabs on the spring end, not two of the four tabs. OP notes it works, stays closed and opens with pressure. Whether in operation mode that opening psi remained as spec'd, without testing, speculation. Either way in this case, in all likelihood little if any effect on function imo.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Impossible, I cut it very carefully using a filter cutter. I know how to cut them open. That's how it came out of the can.
Indeed impossible. You should ping Motorking and I am betting he will make it right for you and would probably like to see the defective bypass components.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Rat407
That's it, no more Ultras for me!

+1

Just kidding. I would NEVER stop using the best steel end cap filter ever made.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Did you try putting it back on correctly? I'm wondering how easy it is for this to happen. Like a drop somewhere along the line.

Since the spring wasn't compressed fully due to the 2 tabs not fully engaged, the opening PSI would be slightly less. Hard to say how much, but my guess would be 2~3 PSI.

Need to see clear close up photos of the tangs to see how those 2 differ from the 2 that were engaged properly.

It looks like the tangs in question still engaged on the coils below, so why wouldn't they engage properly on the end of the spring if configured properly?

BOF - 1 failure in a million, better use something else!
lol.gif

When we see dozens of findings like this posted and it turns into a spreadsheet to keep track of them all, then I'd say there's a problem going on.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
lol.gif

When we see dozens of findings like this posted and it turns into a spreadsheet to keep track of them all, then I'd say there's a problem going on.

You mean like Purolator filters?
grin2.gif

I taken the Fram bypass valve apart several times, the hooks didn't pop off the spring from dropping, much too secure. If the high side of the spring is pressed down, the other two hooks should pop into place. Maybe you could try it. Mass production means these things happen unless eyes are on the process all the time.

lol.gif

Surely you don't suggest I use a FU with the new found BYPASS SPRING problem that is being dubbed "SPRING-O-LATOR? That would surely cause unfiltered oil to pass through my engine causing catastrophic main bearing failure.............OH MY! FRAM had better fix this BYPASS SPRING debacle soon!
15.gif

I have to give you credit for that... Sping-o-later. Very funny.

I agree with Zee0six on this. Very, very far away from being a huge deal yet.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have to give you credit for that... Sping-o-later. Very funny.

Thanks. It ranks right up there with the good ole Purolator.
27.gif

I agree with Zee0six on this. Very, very far away from being a huge deal yet.
This is how those 'MALICIOUS" rumors get started.
I sure hope FRAM gets it fixed before the FU gets a reputation worse than the Purolator.
grin.gif

Call Batman! ... the bypass valves are defective!
lol.gif

FRAM had better fix this quick! When the 1st engine goes down, it can be like the domino effect!
Trolling.gif
hooked.gif

If it was one hook left maybe it would break off, the plastic parts plug the oil gallery and "O'death" could be renewed once again. O'laters just put out dirty oil into the engine and engine problems come later. O'deaths blow up the entire engine and leave it on the side of the road.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If it was one hook left maybe it would break off, the plastic parts plug the oil gallery and "O'death" could be renewed once again. O'laters just put out dirty oil into the engine and engine problems come later. O'deaths blow up the entire engine and leave it on the side of the road.

I sure would hate for it to be my engine that a FU SPRING-O-LATOR defect happened on!
FRAM, you better fix this PROBLEM, fast!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I sure would hate for it to be my engine that a FU SPRING-O-LATOR defect happened on!
FRAM, you better fix this PROBLEM, fast!

That Motorcruncher filter you're running has way more chance of developing a failure than any bypass valve.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back